Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #1
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default The Christmas Gift Help Thread

We've started our Christmas shopping a bit early this year and are having a little trouble trying to figure out what to get one of our nieces. I thought having a thread where people could bounce ideas off each other could be helpful (also I had no idea where else to put this question).

So I'll start. Our niece is 9 years old and she's the first one of the cousins to be getting to the age that we can't just get her toys now. She doesn't have a smart phone (and will not be getting one soon), but likes to listen to music and podcasts. Is there something we could get her that might fit this bill? All we can find is basically mp3 players, but that seems like there would be a lot of manual work getting music/podcasts on and off the device that her parents would have to do. Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Great thread.

Can anyone give me a review of the Oculus Rift VR headsets? My 11 yr-old son is asking for one.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
We've started our Christmas shopping a bit early this year and are having a little trouble trying to figure out what to get one of our nieces. I thought having a thread where people could bounce ideas off each other could be helpful (also I had no idea where else to put this question).

So I'll start. Our niece is 9 years old and she's the first one of the cousins to be getting to the age that we can't just get her toys now. She doesn't have a smart phone (and will not be getting one soon), but likes to listen to music and podcasts. Is there something we could get her that might fit this bill? All we can find is basically mp3 players, but that seems like there would be a lot of manual work getting music/podcasts on and off the device that her parents would have to do. Thoughts?
Start by talking w/ her parent(s)/siblings.

1. An option may be to get an older iPhone 5 or 6. Then they can stream or download as needed (obviously with parental guidance/limitations), plus it may then also allow other forms of communication and learning how to effectively manage their use of electronics. or this could be a gateway issue to all social media.. depends on the kid and family.
2. Another idea is to actually take the child shopping and let them pick out some stuff... but within a budget. It's a quality time together thing. At 9 they'll be interested in places like Miniso, Urban Planet, maybe H&M, Ardene. My kids actually like Goodwill too.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

We got our son an ipod touch last year. He's 10. I have him on the family sharing, so if he wants any game, he sends the request, that I need to approve from my iphone, which is tied to my account. We have spotify family so he uses that for music.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you have a device like an iphone you can also sign up with the Public Library to listen to audio books for free (I think it's called Libby). Another option for an actual gift is to get actual books (if she likes reading); my kids liked the Keeper of the Lost Cities series (this was after Harry Potter).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Above posters: a budget would help.

Something I’m really fond of is the KiwiCo subscription box that sparks STEM (science tech engineering math) thinking in kids
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I do a Secret Santa gift exchange with my group (just the guys). I ordered my friend a fleshlight. I don't know anyone who has one, but I think it'll be equal parts hilarious and awesome. Also curious to hear what it's like.

One super funny thing I found on the fleshlight site is a pre-warmer. It's basically a heated vertical rod that you slide the fleshlight over to warm it up before you get busy.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Haha that’s funny, it’s like hiding a big dong in your buddies carry on when you head to vegas for a weekend.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:

This might not be exactly what you want but it’s kinda sorta related. Our kids are a little bit older and have phone or iPods and listen to a ton of music. They are into LED lights for their rooms so this year we got them each a 50 foot set of lights that have a zillion different color combinations, they can move to sound or music or whatever you want, there’s also an app so you can control how they work. Each set was around $50 or so.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
This might not be exactly what you want but it’s kinda sorta related. Our kids are a little bit older and have phone or iPods and listen to a ton of music. They are into LED lights for their rooms so this year we got them each a 50 foot set of lights that have a zillion different color combinations, they can move to sound or music or whatever you want, there’s also an app so you can control how they work. Each set was around $50 or so.
I just got my son one of those, too. The coolest is he has them set to come on in the morning to wake him up.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Great thread.

Can anyone give me a review of the Oculus Rift VR headsets? My 11 yr-old son is asking for one.
Decent devices, but there's been some issues as of late because it's now a requirement to have an active facebook account to use it (since it's owned by them).
Old 11-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #12
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Above posters: a budget would help.

Something I’m really fond of is the KiwiCo subscription box that sparks STEM (science tech engineering math) thinking in kids
Thanks for this, what a great idea.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #13
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Ask the parents for a list. My niece is 8 and her list was sent out last night
-Golf Dress/ outfit
Golf Glove
Touque with flashlight
Sleeping Mask
Claires Gift Card
Narwall and Jelly Christmas Book
Foam Snow sled with handles on the side
Lego Friends
Anything Crafty
Clothing, 8-10 year old, prefers stretchy pants
Pj's, not thick, hot sleeper
Harry Potter Lego
Harry Potter 3d Puzzles from Costco
LED color changing strip lights for her room

Really in looking at her list it is about the same as my 40 something wife's list just different sizes. Last year we tried to focus on experiences vs toys. Took her snowshoeing in Waterton, we had all the kids over in January for a science day and my wife Crochet her and her brother a Queen sized blankets. Trust me, kid isn't spoiled at all by us, oh well...

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 11-17-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #14
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Which model/brand?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #15
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Megulla Dreamcolor, got it from Amazon.

Not sure how great they are, sounds good but who knows, guess I'll find out on Xmas
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:04 AM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to suggest non sound isolating headphones (ie: bone conducting or open type), but the LED thing sounds pretty damn cool too.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #17
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I really think my father would enjoy Brian Burkes new book for Christmas but he is getting older and I don't think he would read it and is technologically illiterate to say the least. I live across the country from him so it would be a lot of trouble to help him out with how to use audio books. Is there a way to get this book in a CD format? Would anyone be able to create this and I could pay you? I just want it to be as simple as him being able to sit down, put it in the cd player have a beer and listen.
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote