Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #1181
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dions comment made me think of something.
Who here bets?
I play in a group of 8 of us, and we bet every game. Doesn't matter if there's all 8 of us or only 2, we bet every single game. Usually we have 8 on weekends and only 4 on weekdays. Skins, snips and Nassaus. We use official handicaps for strokes The only games I've played without betting this year have been in men's night because we have different rules.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #1182
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
You should totally be playing from the correct tee box for your handicap. I don't get why you wouldn't. Have a frustrating day playing form the blues and taking too long or an enjoyable Rd from the whites.
Why not just play from the reds then?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #1183
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
You should totally be playing from the correct tee box for your handicap. I don't get why you wouldn't. Have a frustrating day playing form the blues and taking too long or an enjoyable Rd from the whites.
That's the way I look at and why I play from the whites. I want to enjoy my game, be competitive and still enjoy a good pace of play.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #1184
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord_Wappel View Post
I hate a slow pace of play more than everyone and play fast myself. I love the rounds where you can just fly through in 2.5 hours during the week and find i play less on weekends as i just don't have time to play a 4.5 hour round (kids and family)....I play with and am myself a mid handicapper (11-17 index for most of us) but we all play with pace. We have some bombers and some guys with very poor short games...it a mixed bag. My point is that distance has nothing do with handicap. For most of us its nice to have a range of distances and clubs you get when your playing closer to 6500 yards vs 5900 but the scoring and pace isn't any different.

Oh and i have seen everyone from low single digit handicappers and up chunk a driver behind the ladies tees....just happens once in awhile
The handicaps of your group is pretty close to each other.

Now consider that handicaps of my group is quite varied and different from yours. One is in the high single digits at around 9 while the other guys are in the low to high teens (13-19) and myself at 24. We all drive the ball well with distances off the tee being at different lengths. With me having the higher handicap I don't very often out drive them, even factoring in that I hit from the whites. On average they out drive me by about say 30 yards which can often mean the difference between me hitting a PW or AW as opposed to a 60 degree wedge to the green.

My short game is horribly inconsistant and a huge factor in my high handicap. Then again it's my own fault as I hate practising and don't much time at the practice range.

To beat the slow weekend play I book times early in the morning to avoid the weekend hackers.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:29 PM   #1185
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Why not just play from the reds then?
To do that would require a wig and some lipstick. I'm guessing his answer would be no thanks
Old 06-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #1186
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
On average they out drive me by about say 30 yards which can often mean the difference between me hitting a PW or AW as opposed to a 60 degree wedge to the green.
you're playing from the whites because you'd rather hit a 60 than a pw for your approach?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #1187
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The handicaps of your group is pretty close to each other.

Now consider that handicaps of my group is quite varied and different from yours. One is in the high single digits at around 9 while the other guys are in the low to high teens (13-19) and myself at 24. We all drive the ball well with distances off the tee being at different lengths. With me having the higher handicap I don't very often out drive them, even factoring in that I hit from the whites. On average they out drive me by about say 30 yards which can often mean the difference between me hitting a PW or AW as opposed to a 60 degree wedge to the green.

My short game is horribly inconsistant and a huge factor in my high handicap. Then again it's my own fault as I hate practising and don't much time at the practice range.
Your short game sucks because you are a 24 handicap and carrying a 60 degree wedge. Hit from the blues with the rest of them and play your AW or PW. Throw the 60 degree in the lake until you are dedicated to some practice and learn what type of shots it is used for.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #1188
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
you're playing from the whites because you'd rather hit a 60 than a pw for your approach?
My distance off the tee is the major reason for me playing from the whites. I can't hit the ball 250+ yards like the younger guys. An old fart like me gets on average 180-200 yards.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #1189
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
Your short game sucks because you are a 24 handicap and carrying a 60 degree wedge. Hit from the blues with the rest of them and play your AW or PW. Throw the 60 degree in the lake until you are dedicated to some practice and learn what type of shots it is used for.
To clarify I don't have a 60 degree wedge in my bag. Just an AW, PW and SW. Tried a 60 degree years ago and found it too difficult to work with.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #1190
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Next question
Old 06-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #1191
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Next question
How come you lied about the difference being you hitting a PW or 60 degree?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #1192
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most weekend golfers (dudes anyway) pick their tee based on that one great drive they typically have per round- or just instinctively go to the blues because that is what is expected of the guys. I personally have much more fun when playing from the tee that matches up with my game and ability. Playing from 6500+ means I need to hit driver on almost every par 4 and 5. Where is the fun in that? Prefer playing appropriately from the correct tee for my game, allowing me to hit a driver, 3 wood or 3 hybrid off the tee depending the hole set up and, if I have a good shot, am rewarded with a short iron or less on the par 4s or a reasonable chance at getting on in two on the par 5s. Nothing worse than playing from way too far back for your skill level and having mid to long irons on all your par 4 second shots. I know tee selection is based on handicap, but I typically move between white and blue depending on the course, looking to be in that 6000-6500 range.

Ideally, a shorter course will have additional challenges to make up for the loss of distance, meaning you should still play from the tee based on handicap. Often not the case though and they are short simply because of limited land available.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 06-14-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #1193
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
How come you lied about the difference being you hitting a PW or 60 degree?
I didn't lie. I talked about the possible shots I could be hitting. Besides I clarified in an earlier post about not having a 60 degree in my bag

The defence asks for a recess your honour so he can get some work done
Old 06-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #1194
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't lie. I talked about the possible shots I could be hitting. Besides I clarified in an earlier post about not having a 60 degree in my bag

The defence asks for a recess your honour so he can get some work done
I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on the internet. It looked like you were talking in actual facts rather than hypotheticals when you said the difference was you hitting a PW vs a 60 degree. Also, you clarified after the lie that you don't have a 60 so I wouldn't call it an "earlier post".

Now that we know you don't actually hit a 60, how can we be sure this group was actually as far behind as you say? How do we even know there was a group at all?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 11:50 PM   #1195
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on the internet. It looked like you were talking in actual facts rather than hypotheticals when you said the difference was you hitting a PW vs a 60 degree. Also, you clarified after the lie that you don't have a 60 so I wouldn't call it an "earlier post".

Now that we know you don't actually hit a 60, how can we be sure this group was actually as far behind as you say? How do we even know there was a group at all?
That's not good! If you check the yellow pages i'm sure you could find a shrink who could help you with yourdelusions
Old 06-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #1196
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sirocco is in really nice shape right now. Greens are a touch slower than normal, but they don't really get up to speed until July. Wind was blowing out of the east which is really weird for that course and makes it play totally differently. #17 is a beast into the fan.
DoubleK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #1197
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speargrass today.

Sprayed it everywhere on the front which made for a long afternoon. Righted the ship on the back and salvaged 85.

Course is immaculate. Greens are perfect. Pace was a touch slow, 4:45 to finish. Waited on every hole on the back.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #1198
Gord_Wappel
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My 60 is probably my most used club. Partially because i don't hit a ton of greens in reg but its just a comfort thing. i know lots of guys prefer a sw or pw around the greens but i prefer my 60 even out of sand and 80 yards in. around the green i also use an 8-iron chip vs wedges in a lot of scenarios but again just personally preference.

Quote:
To clarify I don't have a 60 degree wedge in my bag. Just an AW, PW and SW. Tried a 60 degree years ago and found it too difficult to work with.
Gord_Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #1199
Gord_Wappel
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We too have a groups of around 8 of us and usually have several bets going. Usually stroke play with indexes in play for front, back, overall and as well as skins and specialties.

Quote:
Dions comment made me think of something.
Who here bets?
I play in a group of 8 of us, and we bet every game. Doesn't matter if there's all 8 of us or only 2, we bet every single game. Usually we have 8 on weekends and only 4 on weekdays. Skins, snips and Nassaus. We use official handicaps for strokes The only games I've played without betting this year have been in men's night because we have different rules.
Gord_Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #1200
trieu8
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Has anyone done a fitting with Simply Golf? Reviews? How do they compare to Ted & Dave?
trieu8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow