Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #41
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Anyone sleeping on a silk and snow mattress?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, ours has been great, thoguh I have no other foam ones to compare it to. Better than our old traditional mattress though, which was a decent one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #43
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^ how firm would you say it is?
Old 01-03-2020, 11:15 PM   #44
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

We bought a Casper a couple months ago. At first it felt too firm, after a few days my bones gave in and it feels great. Our old traditional mattress was a mushy all over after only 3 years and neither of us are full size.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #45
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
We bought a Casper a couple months ago. At first it felt too firm, after a few days my bones gave in and it feels great. Our old traditional mattress was a mushy all over after only 3 years and neither of us are full size.
Is Casper the one in Chinook? Or is it Endy? My wife and I tried them out there. The pure foam ones all felt way too soft for the two of us and the coil ones were comparable firmness to the pure foam Novosbed we purchased at medium firmness.

Like your situation, the Novosbed felt too firm for the first few months to the point of back pain, but after getting the comfort+ foam attachment from Novosbed for free, it helped to bridge the firmness issue for a few months until it felt just right. It has been great for the last 3 years since. (and I have another Novosbed Aria (discontinued) which has been great for nearly 6 years now.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #46
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a Leesa online about 3 years ago after doing quite a bit of research. I found in looking into it that there's never going to be a consensus on which is 'best' per se, due to there being so many options out there. What I did ultimately come to determine was that the online foam mattresses are pretty much universally well received and that the differences between them aren't anything you can resolve simply by reading reviews online. One person or 'professional reviewer/company' will call one mattress soft-med while the other calls it med-firm. Side by side reviews and comparatives often do the same thing.

In the end, I found that the majority of the basic online mattresses all fell within a "6,7 out of 10" for firmness (if I remember correctly - my numbers could be off but the point being they were all relatively similar in firmness with each reviewer citing one was softer or firmer, etc but still within respect to similar overall firmness).

I did go to sleep country and sears (rip) and whatever else to sit on some foam mattresses and try out the soft/med/firm offerings to the models that provided it and found that the med to firm (or 6,7 out of 10) was the most common and for small periods of time I sat/lied down was the most comfortable.

It's not easy to say one is better than the other coming from someone who truly only has experience with 1 version, again, the Leesa, but I'll explain my situation and perhaps you can use that info in making a determination.

I am 6'2, 215lbs and about 6 years ago I had a major spinal surgery. My back is half titanium discs and L shaped items. I had to learn to walk again after surgery and couldn't lift more than 5lbs for 2 years (which made going to the bathroom difficult... aaaaathankya).

I needed something firm for my size and condition, but wanted something comfortable as well. My previous mattress was very firm and had a latex topper on it. The latex provided the comfort for a while before it began to give out and sink and what not, and the overly firm mattress, while good for my back, just wasn't overly comfortable. So i needed something that would offer enough support, but provide some comfort and without pressure points on the body (thus the all foam mattress).

I settled on the Leesa for no particular reason other than at the time it and Casper were kind of the 2 leading brands. I was also considering the 'Dormeo' at sleep country which offered a 'soft/med/firm' model and the Med and firm versions were what I enjoyed in person but that thing was like $4000 and I'm a 911 dispatcher, not a millionaire, so we tossed that one aside in favour of the online alternatives. Both the Leesa and Casper (and others) offered that same 6-7 out of 10 firmness with the majority of side by side reviews suggesting Leesa was a little more firm, which I imagine is what swayed my decision.

My personal experience with the Leesa has been wonderful. Again, I've had it for 3+ years now and it supports my somewhat larger than average frame very well. It provides the firmness my spine needs, but also allows me to sink in ever so slightly to evenly distribute my weight and provide comfort with no pain/pressure spots. Other than day to day pain from having my injury, the bed does not give any additional pain or discomfort and I am incredibly happy with my purchase. For nearly 6 months I remember laying in bed and marvelling at how comfortable it was for me. Thereafter it eventually became just the 'norm' as I acclimated.

I would recommend the Leesa based on personal experience, though again I have not slept on any of its competitors so cannot in good faith suggest if it's better or worse than others. My height and weight and injury and person desires/levels of comfort differ from others, but the Leesa has worked incredibly well for me and my situation. Overall and to be fair to all the brands and competitors, I would more so just highly recommend a foam mattress in general as they all follow the same concept.

Best of luck, and I apologize if this message was too long or a boring read.

Cheers.

Last edited by jmac98; 01-04-2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Correcting spelling of ‘Leesa’ from ducking auto correct.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 08:02 AM   #47
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
^ how firm would you say it is?
Probably a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac98 View Post
My personal experience with the Leesa has been wonderful. Again, I've had it for 3+ years now and it supports my somewhat larger than average frame very well. It provides the firmness my spine needs, but also allows me to sink in ever so slightly to evenly distribute my weight and provide comfort with no pain/pressure spots. Other than day to day pain from having my injury, the bed does not give any additional pain or discomfort and I am incredibly happy with my purchase. For nearly 6 months I remember laying in bed and marvelling at how comfortable it was for me. Thereafter it eventually became just the 'norm' as I acclimated.

This is pretty much my experience with the Silk and Snow. Provides good support once you are laying down, with no pain points.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #48
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Thanks. Think we’ll go with it. Fuzz do you find it hot?
Old 01-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Endy reviews are crazy high (and the price is right) but I've always been skeptical of a one mattress fits all. Do many here have experience with them?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #50
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Is Casper the one in Chinook? Or is it Endy? My wife and I tried them out there. The pure foam ones all felt way too soft for the two of us and the coil ones were comparable firmness to the pure foam Novosbed we purchased at medium firmness.

Like your situation, the Novosbed felt too firm for the first few months to the point of back pain, but after getting the comfort+ foam attachment from Novosbed for free, it helped to bridge the firmness issue for a few months until it felt just right. It has been great for the last 3 years since. (and I have another Novosbed Aria (discontinued) which has been great for nearly 6 years now.
Casper is the place at Chinook, the beds you try there are definitely broken in compared to how it felt brand new. We felt regret for the first couple of nights until we got used to it. I have far less back and neck pain compared to the old mattress.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Thanks. Think we’ll go with it. Fuzz do you find it hot?
That was my biggest worry, given we don't have A/C and I like a cool bed. It isn't as cool as a traditional mattress, but I didn't find it to be an issue.

Also, never pay full price, they always have sales or coupons. This is old from my email, but might be good for $225 off.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, I see they actually have BOXING225 as their current one on their website...
Old 01-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #53
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just pulled the trigger. Thanks Fuzz
Old 01-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #54
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Just pulled the trigger. Thanks Fuzz
If you wake up feeling like the Hunchback of Notre Dame don't blame me! Oh, be warned, just because they are made of foam does not mean they are light. I was surprised how much the damn thing weighed.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #55
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Endy reviews are crazy high (and the price is right) but I've always been skeptical of a one mattress fits all. Do many here have experience with them?
Got one last year, love it. Still feels like when it was new.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #56
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My gf purchased a mattress from Bear. I found it a little firm for the first few days but quite liked it after it was broken in. She was able to get a discount code from somewhere and her King ended up costing $1,000.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:14 AM   #57
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Wow, I didn't realize the prices were pretty good ($860 ish after discount vs approximately $1.3K for novosbed after discount for a King) and it apparently uses a similar weight foam as Novosbed. I pulled the trigger on one as well. Worst case scenario, this thing becomes a guest bed.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:02 AM   #58
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

not cheap, but my wife and I absolutely love our custom mattress from Halstead Furniture.

Best sleeps I've ever had, and as a bonus, they are local.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #59
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I bought an Endy and ended up returning it because it was way too firm for my liking. I also found it quite warm, but I'm sure it's personal preference. There's a lot of online folks claiming that the quality has dropped since being bough by Sleep Country, but who knows.

The interesting thing was that they had the Women In Need charity pickup the mattress as opposed to me trying to ship it back.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #60
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

we picked endy vs casper because they're canadian, and have been really impressed with it so far. had it for about 6+ months now
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote