Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #21
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
Somewhat related to foam mattresses: we bought a Tempur-Pedic from Sleep Country 4 years ago. For the first year it was great. Now I can't sleep any longer than 6 hours on it. Longer than 6 and I ache all over. Back hurts. It sucks. It's hot. Doesn't breath. Just terrible.

Totally regret getting a Tempur-Pedic.

Same here. It's brutal, and their warranty is near impossible to qualify for. There has to be a standing 1" depression.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:09 PM   #22
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Get a good quality base with a nice talaly latex on top. Remember the really good quality foam beds are different layers of types and firmness of foams not all 1 layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
i really like a soft mattress, will any foam work for me?
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #23
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Dont feel bad most beds allow 2 inches and some 3 inches before being considered defective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Same here. It's brutal, and their warranty is near impossible to qualify for. There has to be a standing 1" depression.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #24
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Dont feel bad most beds allow 2 inches and some 3 inches before being considered defective.

My back feels bad.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #25
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Dont forget our bodies change too and sometimes what worked before doesnt work today. For people that change dont spend a fortune on a bef when your comfort changes a lot. Firm base is always good but make sure you have the right comfort layers on top especially side sleepers and those with bad shoulders and hips. Not enough comfort on top and you will toss and turn a lot or wake up sore shoulders and hips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
My back feels bad.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #26
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've always had a streak of paranoia when an online company or even a retail company has a policy like, hey man try this mattress for a 100 days and return it if you don't like it. For all I know I'm taking a swim in somebody else's sex pool.
Ever stay in a hotel?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #27
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We went with Endy a few months back and like it. We chose Endy over competitors for the Canadian factor, and the higher edge strength. We find it soft and plushy on top, yet offering solid support throughout. It's cooler and plusher than our tempurpedic. There's little motion transfer, and it's of course, squeak-free.

Would buy again.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #28
novosbed
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've always had a streak of paranoia when an online company or even a retail company has a policy like, hey man try this mattress for a 100 days and return it if you don't like it. For all I know I'm taking a swim in somebody else's sex pool.
Novosbed here: I wanted to hop in re: return policy and returned mattresses. We, and companies like us, only ship brand new mattresses. There is absolutely no risk you'll receive a used mattress. As for returned mattresses, we generally transport them to local charities when possible. I hope this sets your mind at ease.
novosbed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to novosbed For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #29
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novosbed View Post
Novosbed here: I wanted to hop in re: return policy and returned mattresses. We, and companies like us, only ship brand new mattresses. There is absolutely no risk you'll receive a used mattress. As for returned mattresses, we generally transport them to local charities when possible. I hope this sets your mind at ease.
As does Leesa - they donate the mattress if it is "returned".

Speaking of Leesa, I got one and love it. It has good bounce, I don't feel like i sink into it, first night on it my aches went away.

3 months on and its still kicking ass.
something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:43 PM   #30
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Bump.

Although the wife loves our Endy, I have found over time that I prefer one that is a bit more firm. The Endy is just too pillowy for me.

I've looked over the reviews and info here:
https://www.mattress-reviews.com/best-mattress/

I was wondering if anyone had any real life info regarding mattress firmness, or if anyone has a recommendation for these for those who suffer from occasional low back and shoulder pain.

Last edited by ricosuave; 07-19-2019 at 11:56 PM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #31
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not an online purchase, but my wife and I absolutely love our Halstead mattress. They are a local manufacturer. They could customize the sections of the mattress for each of us.

Halstead.ca is the website.

We bought a custom sectional from them too. Top notch quality and reasonably priced
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #32
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to Sureline. You're literally in the foam district of town. They have samples you can try out. You can get anything custom made there.

Things like Endy use mostly low end foam with a smidge of mid grade. They must be making money hand over fist.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #33
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We bought these from Costco. A bit firm for us but we just put a really nice topper on them. I feel as old as the hills with these beds but they are extremely comfortable.

https://www.costco.ca/Sleep-Science-...100412515.html
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #34
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there any actual science behind mattresses?

If it's anything like shoes then every single claim made by these companies is purely marketing and the best bet is to choose based on comfort.

I think it would be easiest to just go to a store and try a bunch and find the most comfortable one with a reasonable price tag.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #35
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Is there any actual science behind mattresses?

If it's anything like shoes then every single claim made by these companies is purely marketing and the best bet is to choose based on comfort.

I think it would be easiest to just go to a store and try a bunch and find the most comfortable one with a reasonable price tag.
Shoes is a great comparison - how often do they feel good in the store (compared to everything else you try), but when you put them on at home they hurt?

15 mins on a mattress in store doesn't tell you much, but then again, we ordered an Endy and didn't like it (they honoured the guarantee and got it picked up). Ended up getting something for about the same price from Sleep Country...still happy a year or so in, but don't expect it to last too long.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #36
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Shoes is a great comparison - how often do they feel good in the store (compared to everything else you try), but when you put them on at home they hurt?

15 mins on a mattress in store doesn't tell you much, but then again, we ordered an Endy and didn't like it (they honoured the guarantee and got it picked up). Ended up getting something for about the same price from Sleep Country...still happy a year or so in, but don't expect it to last too long.
Another thing to note is that there are dozens of other factors that affect neck and back pain that can be modified for a lot cheaper and have a greater effect than your mattress!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #37
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Bump.

Although the wife loves our Endy, I have found over time that I prefer one that is a bit more firm. The Endy is just too pillowy for me.

I've looked over the reviews and info here:
https://www.mattress-reviews.com/best-mattress/

I was wondering if anyone had any real life info regarding mattress firmness, or if anyone has a recommendation for these for those who suffer from occasional low back and shoulder pain.
I really don't have a recommendation but would be careful when looking for reviews on sites like this. It's by goodmorning.com which is contributed to by novasleep and every novasleep mattress (Douglas, novasleep, logan and cove, etc.) Are all at the top of the ratings despite being called unbiased or stating they have 3rd party reviewers.

We have been looking and it's really tough to know what's a real review and what's paid. Even on sites like reddit and redflagdeals. For instance redflagdeals had so much spam from a mattress company called Hamuq that they censored the company name on their site.

Makes it really tough to make an informed decision.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #38
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was wondering when the mattress companies ship these mattresses to you i am assuming they are rolled up/compressed somehow.

if so, how would a person pack them up to ship it back
Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #39
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the time they come grab them and either recycle them or donate them locally.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #40
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good thread, really considering a foam mattress, I keep thinking they are this eras new water bed. I remember when my parents bought us all one. Good times!
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote