Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #3601
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Sure, I get that. The optics are bad, but for me I like that we're actually going to do something about it finally.
I don't care about a single use ban on plastics..but what are exactly is it going to do?

I know what it will do - nothing - oh wait sorry make us feel all good inside.

slacktivism at its best.
It's really hard to tell sometimes if you're an alt right true believer or just a bigoted troll. Props if you're just a troll because you're not bad at it. But if you actually really believe half the #### you say then.. yikes. You're a lot dumber than you sound.
MelBridgeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #3602
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

What is Canadaís strategy to stay competitive?

How do we as a nation maintain this standard of living by abandoning a resource based economy?

We just seem so rudderless and divided as a nation.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #3603
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
I don't care about a single use ban on plastics..but what are exactly is it going to do?

I know what it will do - nothing - oh wait sorry make us feel all good inside.

slacktivism at its best.
Taking a straw or water bottle or whatever and throwing it into a garbage dump is benefiting us how exactly?

Not polluting the entire planet, including our oceans, with that stuff isn't 'doing nothing'. We should have stopped doing it a long, long time ago.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #3604
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

How do we as a nation maintain this standard of living by abandoning a resource based economy?

Plans are overrated when you can apologize for something instead.

Social justice policies are fine, but when they're the totality of your substance, you're ####ing trash.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #3605
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

It’s just unclear what the plan is. Well, there doesn’t appear to be one and so we will be taken advantage of and already are.

How can Canada not be pivoting in some way on this China trade restrictions issue for example?
Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #3606
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Itís just unclear what the plan is. Well, there doesnít appear to be one and so we will be taken advantage of and already are.

How can Canada not be pivoting in some way on this China trade restrictions issue for example?
No, it's clear. There is no plan. They have no clue what the future of this country should look like economically and from an employment base other than the state employed. Also, screw economic sovereignty because why would we want that?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:03 PM   #3607
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Taking a straw or water bottle or whatever and throwing it into a garbage dump is benefiting us how exactly?
Because it's not going into the ocean/rivers/lakes where it's impact is much much much greater? We produce garbage regardless and it needs to go some where until we have a better way to deal with it.

Quote:
Not polluting the entire planet, including our oceans, with that stuff isn't 'doing nothing'. We should have stopped doing it a long, long time ago.
It sure is doing nothing, because doing something would be not populating the entire planet as you said. Humans will continue to pollute in massive and greater numbers regardless of Canada's single use plastic ban.

but feelings!
It's really hard to tell sometimes if you're an alt right true believer or just a bigoted troll. Props if you're just a troll because you're not bad at it. But if you actually really believe half the #### you say then.. yikes. You're a lot dumber than you sound.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #3608
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Because it's not going into the ocean/rivers/lakes where it's impact is much much much greater? We produce garbage regardless and it needs to go some where until we have a better way to deal with it.
I asked what the benefit was. What benefits us from drinking out of a plastic straw for a few seconds and throwing it into a garbage dump?

Quote:
It sure is doing nothing, because doing something would be not populating the entire planet as you said. Humans will continue to pollute in massive and greater numbers regardless of Canada's single use plastic ban.
If it doesn't make sense we shouldn't do it. Just because we have other garbage doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything at all. Remember when all McDonald's food came in styrofoam containers? It wasn't good for the environment and they stopped doing it.

Quote:
but feelings!
I honestly have no idea what this means.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #3609
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I asked what the benefit was. What benefits us from drinking out of a plastic straw for a few seconds and throwing it into a garbage dump?

If it doesn't make sense we shouldn't do it. Just because we have other garbage doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything at all. Remember when all McDonald's food came in styrofoam containers? It wasn't good for the environment and they stopped doing it.

I honestly have no idea what this means.
I am not saying don't do it. I am just saying it's not going to do anything to help the planet since this is a global problem and not a regional one. Anyways my bad for jumping on your initial statement which was so vague it gives you an out when you are challenged on it.

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 06-26-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #3610
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Anyways my bad for jumping on your initial statement which was so vague it gives you an out when you are challenged on it.
My initial statement was using a straw for a few seconds and throwing it into the garbage doesn't make any sense. Pretty clear.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #3611
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My initial statement was using a straw for a few seconds and throwing it into the garbage doesn't make any sense. Pretty clear.
Actually

Quote:
but for me I like that we're actually going to do something about it finally
I asked what is it going to do other than make you feel good?

Because garbage and waste will go on
plastics in the ocean will continue to grow
landfills will continue to fill up
the planet will continue to fill up with our filth

But we can ban plastics and feel good about it and move on!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #3612
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
I asked what is it going to do other than make you feel good?

Because garbage and waste will go on
plastics in the ocean will continue to grow
landfills will continue to fill up
the planet will continue to fill up with our filth

But we can ban plastics and feel good about it and move on!
Gotta start somewhere. Less plastic in garbage dumps = good.

If everyone keeps saying we can't do anything about it so might as well keep polluting the planet, then yes we are screwed.

Not sure why you keep bringing up feelings? Less plastic in garbage dumps just makes sense, I don't care about anybody's feelings.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:12 PM   #3613
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

95% of all plastic in the ocean comes from 10 rivers. 8 of which are in Asia and the other two Africa.

I recognize that Asia purchases huge amounts of plastic from North America but the truth is that if you believe that data or even believe that that data is even just half correct. The lions share of clean up and plastic waste reduction from entering rivers, creeks, waterways and into the oceans comes from these rivers and nations among these rivers should do a much better job of policing and enforcing littering.

In Canada, even since I was a little kid, the notion of littering has widespread and commonplace been viewed quite negatively. Social norms are a powerful tool and I believe our culture shames- quite a bit in fact- littering. But we all know this just isnít the cultural norm in some of these other poverty stricken nations that have much bigger societal issues and problems for human life than littering and plastics entering watersheds.

I donít think itís wrong, in fact we should be proud of how Canada approaches the widespread societal and cultural belief system that values proper garbage disposal and not littering. We are far better than probably most countries on earth.

But the truth is that if Justin uses a plastic fork or a plastic water bottle itís all so irrelevant because Canadaís plastic contribution to the oceans is absolutely minuscule in the grand scheme of things. We can try to be better but again and this has been repeated as nausem, we should not cut off our noses to spite our faces and sabotage our own economy to take our platinum approach to the environment and make it absolutely perfect. The diminishing returns on environmental improvement that in exchange will absolutely destroy (arguable already has) our economy and specifically Albertaís economy while the 10 largest rivers contributing plastics are on other continents just makes no god damn sense.

http://https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4970214/amp/95-plastic-oceans-comes-just-TEN-rivers.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #3614
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The world produces ~3+trillion tons of garbage per year. Canada ~31 million tons per year. One trillion is a thousand billions, or equivalently a million millions. So although i agree with your first statement in theory and certainly agree with your last statement - it's a real minuscule step and not even close to enough.

Quote:
If everyone keeps saying we can't do anything about it so might as well keep polluting the planet, then yes we are screwed.
I agree but I am not saying that if anything i am saying it's not even remotely close enough.

Quote:
Not sure why you keep bringing up feelings? Less plastic in garbage dumps just makes sense, I don't care about anybody's feelings.
It does make sense but does very little to help the environment unless it's on a global scale. Canada's impact is pretty minimal when you look at the raw numbers..very minimal in term of garbage and CO2. So any domestic policy is all about making oneself feel good and not an actual contributing solution. It would take less than a year for the world to make up the garbage it lost from any ban in Canada. Considering the earths population increases by 80+ million
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #3615
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If the Libs win another election things are going to get much much worse.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #3616
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
You lack imagination.

Wait until the inevitable Liberal minority catering to Greens after the next election.

####ing conservatives. Such a critical election and they elect the milquetoastiest of milquetoasts.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #3617
PaperBagger'14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The smartest thing you can do as a moderate income Canadian is to leave Canada. This country is fiscally imploding itself in the name of social responsibility.

We are so socially and environmentally responsible we will sewer the quality of life of the people who pay for the benefits of the rest of the losers to make everyone equal.

I eagerly look forward to the day I leave this country.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #3618
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post

IF/when they win the next election, and win a majority, I think that there will be a lot of rage in Alberta and Saskatchewan and a nasty war of wills between those provincial governments and the Feds, with the Liberal's holding what could be the last pipeline under construction to tide water used as blackmail.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:33 PM   #3619
OldDutch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You lack imagination.

Wait until the inevitable Liberal minority catering to Greens after the next election.

####ing conservatives. Such a critical election and they elect the milquetoastiest of milquetoasts.
I once thought the same of Harper. Why would Cons elect such a dork stick?

I was right on that, but Martin slimeballed himself out of office. I hope for a repeat.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #3620
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps, but before government passes any piece of legislation, we should be able to answer two questions:

1) What does this legislation accomplish?
2) What does this legislation cost (financially and otherwise)?

Do you know the answer to either of those questions? I know I sure don't. People that I have talked to that are in favour of this seem to think it will reduce plastic in the oceans and help save endangered sea life. Since this ban will accomplish neither of those things, it seems to me that they don't know either.

Then we come to the cost. I suppose that forgoing the use of plastic straws and single-use water bottles is something that we could adapt to fairly easily, but that only scratches the surface of single use plastic items. Did our prime minister consider the costs at all before announcing the ban? Has anyone looked at how we could do it and what it would cost? If the answer is out there, I would be very interested in hearing it, as should we all.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote