Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Andersson, Rasmus 259 67.45%
Dube, Dillon 56 14.58%
Ehliz, Yasin 0 0%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 7 1.82%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 2 0.52%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 2 0.52%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 8 2.08%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 14 3.65%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 35 9.11%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 1 0.26%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 0 0%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #61
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Only 8% for Parsons?

Somebody call the cops, cause that is just plain criminal.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #62
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Only 8% for Parsons?

Somebody call the cops, cause that is just plain criminal.
Well he's years away from the NHL and Anderson is the most NHL ready of all the top prospects so I don't see anything criminal here.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #63
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well he's years away from the NHL and Anderson is the most NHL ready of all the top prospects so I don't see anything criminal here.
I can see why the votes are for Andersson, he is ready and very good. I can see why votes are for Dube as well, kid will be a beast. We have some nice pieces coming down the pipe.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #64
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
To suggest he is below Parsons as a prospect is ridiculous.... as you did

Troll

Oiler Fan?
I gather your point here is that people have called you a troll in the past for having an opinion that is aligned with the majority?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #65
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I gather your point here is that people have called you a troll in the past for having an opinion that is aligned with the majority?
Not aligned with the majority

.... but never so obviously wrong as picking someone other than Anderssen as the Flames top prospect (outside of Valimaki) I voted Anderssen in round 1 but can understand that Valimaki had as good a Draft +1 year as Anderssen and is a valid top prospect.

Someone who is not picking Anderssen in the top-2 is just stirring the pot to add controversy.

I truly believe that the team is better off without Hamilton and would not be a consistent winning team with him in the line-up.

That seemed to upset people who are fanatically Flames fans and thought that him wearing a Flames uniform covered his obvious deficiencies . Their reaction was labeling me as a troll. They thought that everyone had to see Hamilton the way they did.

It turns out that management eventually saw things my way.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #66
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Kylington for me here.

Why him and not Andersson? Skating is a factor. I wonder about his conditioning as well - it hasn't come up, but I did see to notice at the end of last season he looked gassed at times. Maybe nothing, maybe something.

At the end of the day, I just think Kylington is an absolutely filthy skater with high end offensive abilities, and I think his defensive game seems to be rounding-out really nicely.

He needs to put on a bit more strength, but I thought he was close. I wasn't alone in commentating last camp that Kylington seemed the most NHL-ready, and there were quite a few posters surprised that he got sent to the AHL. I think size is what he needed to focus on, and it wouldn't surprise me for this kid to come in and win a spot on the team this year.

Having Kylington on the team will give the Flames a different look on that third pairing to start, as he is super fast out there. I still think his ceiling is that of a top-pairing defencemen that puts up healthy points every season.

I like Andersson, but I think his mobility will hurt him, and Andersson also doesn't have the size to make up for it (not that he is small - just average-sized).

I do think that BOTH of these defencemen are going to be NHL players, I just think Kylington has the higher upside, and I think his floor has risen dramatically with how much better he is defensively.
I think I'm on kylington next round. Saw an article a while back which had him pegged slightly ahead of Rasmus on Ev 5v5 stats, which gets me excited because it's not like Andersson is a slouch. Rasmus' PP prowess just pipped it this round.

Scott wheeler had a redraft article on athletic for 2015 and kylington snuck in at 30, with Andersson and mangiapane getting honourable mentions.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #67
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

.... but never so obviously wrong as picking someone other than Anderssen as the Flames top prospect (outside of Valimaki) I voted Anderssen in round 1 but can understand that Valimaki had as good a Draft +1 year as Anderssen and is a valid top prospect.

Someone who is not picking Anderssen in the top-2 is just stirring the pot to add controversy.

I truly believe that the team is better off without Hamilton and would not be a consistent winning team with him in the line-up.

That seemed to upset people who are fanatically Flames fans and thought that him wearing a Flames uniform covered his obvious deficiencies . Their reaction was labeling me as a troll. They thought that everyone had to see Hamilton the way they did.

You have been labelled a "troll" because of your frequent passive aggressive disparagements of the team, other posters and the board in general, and also because of a weird obsession that you harbour for a few players that serves to derail entire threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #68
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The reason why you often called out is constantly de-railing threads. Your position on Hamilton well known and you constantly tried to steer conversations towards talking about it.

After a while people get irritated by it.

It isn't about the points you are making it is about the approach.

But if you have concerns about how you are treated on this board raise it in the appropriate channels instead of de-railing another thread please.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #69
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To address this is...it is very hard to compare goalies to skaters. They are not apples to apples.
I think Andersson is a fine prospect but my evaluation is on potential long term impact, which is why I pick Parsons as i think he can be a #1 and potentially all star #1.
So no I'm not just stirring the pot. It is a legitimate position to have.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 07-10-2018 at 01:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #70
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parsons definitely dropped a few spots for me as well.. Probably around 5 for me this year
Old 07-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #71
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone that votes for someone other than Anderssen is obviously a troll and not a Flames fan
Take it from an expert.

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #72
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson for me as I went with him in the first round. He's looked very poised in the NHL.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #73
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What a garbage claim, albeit not surprising from the guy who thought the Flames needed to not sign Mark Jankowski in order to acquire a #51OA compensatory draft pick.

Andersson is an intelligent defenseman, and he had a solid season in the AHL as a 21 year old. But also seems to lack the level of four-way mobility needed to be a highly effective top 4 option in a blistering fast NHL. People evaluate based on things like plus minus and point totals when for defensemen, those are influenced by things like goaltending, luck, partner quality, power play usage, etc. One isn't "stirring the pot" to question those things. Maybe we've seen him get blown by simply due to a lack of footspeed and are unsure how much of a cap that puts on his ceiling.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #74
Knut

Exp:

I went with Dube. Mostly because i think he is developing into the type of player you win with. Score big goals, play solid defensively and put up 2nd liner type points.

Andersson/Dube was nearly 50/50 for me though. I just think Dube will be a bigger impact guy at the NHL level.

Or I am just a troll. Either or.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #75
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anderson for me. Valimaki, Hanifin, and Anderson. ( Kylington) the Flames have a sweet young defense
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #76
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
To address this is...it is very hard to compare goalies to skaters. They are not apples to apples.
I think Andersson is a fine prospect but my evaluation is on potential long term impact, which is why I pick Parsons as i think he can be a #1 and potentially all star #1.
So no I'm not just stirring the pot. It is a legitimate position to have.
Parsons maybe indeed be the Flames most important prospect.
Goalies are so hard to evaluate. Parsons short stint in the AHL was disappointing. I want him to finally be that home grown #1. I have no idea if he will and therefore have no idea how to rank him.

But obviously your position is legitimate.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #77
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

No diving in the prospect pool, eh?

Parsons seems like the highest ceiling player on this list after Valimaki - Dube could be Backlund, which isn't a 1st line player. Andersson's skating needs to improve, Kylington is a wild card, Gillies looks like he might be decent. If Mangiapane or Foo hit, they're not going to be stars, just regulars.

Parsons it is.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #78
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You know what Ricardo, I don’t think you intentionally troll. What makes us think you do is your bizarre comparisons and thought processes. You often fixate on salary but then make salary comparisons between players who can’t be compared. You try to make RFA to UFA salary comparisons which just should never be done. You compare salaries of players at wildly different points in their career which just should never be done.

One of the biggest reasons why I’ve called you a troll is that you don’t really seem to follow debates people have with you. You make a point. People counter with an argument. Then instead of debating their argument you instead take the discussion in a completely different direction. That’s one of the biggest reasons you appear trollish. You derail threads with bizarre discussions and then you won’t even engage in a proper debate with the people who respond to you. Maybe you just don’t understand our counter arguments just like we often don’t understand your arguments?

In the end I’d say the way you judge and evaluate hockey players, the way you seem unable to debate points like a normal person strays so far from the norm that you just cannot be understood easily on here. Your comments appear to a lot of us as bizarre and your style of arguing is even more bizarre. It’s almost like you’re speaking a different language than the majority of us.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-10-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #79
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Prospect:
Noun = A person regarded as likely to succeed.

Should we be voting on who we think has the highest NHL potential, or who will make it to the NHL first?
Personally, I'm voting using the latter.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #80
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post
Prospect:
Noun = A person regarded as likely to succeed.

Should we be voting on who we think has the highest NHL potential, or who will make it to the NHL first?
Personally, I'm voting using the latter.
This comes up every year we do this. IMO the best way to rank them is a combination of both. But upside does trump nhl readiness as the more important consideration. For example it would be beyond silly for us to have voted Kulak ahead of Valimaki last year when Kulak was NHL ready. Valimaki is a potential top pairing dman, Kulak most likely a bottom pairing guy.

One way to think about it that I like that another poster has mentioned already is which prospect would be most valuable in trade. This ranks our prospects in terms of value both to the organization and league wide. Of course we only have access to our perception of their trade value but I think it’s a good way to think about it.

I think Scorpions approach (most nhl ready) where he voted Klimchuk is off the mark. No offense Scorp. I think upside when fully developed has to be a big consideration. NHL ready bottom pairing dmen (Kulak last year) or 4th line forwards (Hathaway in the past) shouldn’t ever be ranked ahead of guys who have star potential who are a couple years away.

I think Valimaki was the clearcut #1. And I can see the arguments for Andersson, Dube and Parsons this round. Parsons because of upside despite the poor season. Dube and Andersson because of a blend of upside and nhl readiness. Kylington I can understand somewhat too although I’m not as convinced on him as a couple people are. Voting any of them this round does not make you a troll. I don’t really understand anybody not voting Valimaki last round though, I think he was the clearcut indisputable #1.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: