Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Andersson, Rasmus 259 67.45%
Dube, Dillon 56 14.58%
Ehliz, Yasin 0 0%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 7 1.82%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 2 0.52%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 2 0.52%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 8 2.08%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 14 3.65%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 35 9.11%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 1 0.26%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 0 0%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #41
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Andersson, all the way. So many good things said about him by observers from all over.

Interesting to see so much early support for Parsons. I think he has a lot to prove before cracking the top 10. He just finished his first year of pro, but he's gotta prove he can be good at any level of pro to be elevated above Gillies or Rittich, or even MacDonald at this point. After a great career in junior, behind the powerhouse Knights, he's going to have to show some growth at the pro-level IMO.
His last year with the Knights they were not even remotely a powerhouse. Most nights he literally carried that team on his back. To suggest he is below Mason McDonald as a prospect is being ridiculous.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #42
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Andersson here for me but after this one I have to start thinking about it a bit more.
No kidding, I am already debating with myself about how to order Foo, Dube and Mangiapane
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #43
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Echo this.

I have Gillies above Parsons and several skaters above Gillies. I think Parsons will bounce back but he's coming off a .902 sv% in the ECHL... you don't post that and shoot up the prospect rankings.
I agree with everything you've said, but would like to add there's a few current NHL goalies that had pretty poor numbers in the ECHL. The only one I can recall off the top of my head is Jonathan Quick but I know there's a few more, I looked it up a few months ago out of curiosity. The conclusion I came to after looking into ECHL numbers wasn't exactly groundbreaking though, just another example of goalie development being so unpredictable and weird
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went Dube, because, along with Valimaki and Jankowski, he could have made the team last year (and like Valimaki didn't because of the junior option).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #45
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
No kidding, I am already debating with myself about how to order Foo, Dube and Mangiapane
After this tier and the two goalies is when it really starts to get interesting. 10-15 is always interesting to me because it always seems we get some late bloomers or camp surprises that were voted into that part of the poll, plus it gives some insight into guys I haven't heard much about so I learn about them. Guys like Mangiapane, Rittich, Kulak were here last year, Ferland a few years ago iirc. So it will be interesting to see what people think of less known guys and where guys like Phillips, Gawdin, and Lomberg end up

Last edited by btimbit; 07-10-2018 at 10:49 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I agree with everything you've said, but would like to add there's a few current NHL goalies that had pretty poor numbers in the ECHL. The only one I can recall off the top of my head is Jonathan Quick but I know there's a few more, I looked it up a few months ago out of curiosity. The conclusion I came to after looking into ECHL numbers wasn't exactly groundbreaking though, just another example of goalie development being so unpredictable and weird
I would imagine the defensive play isn't generally good in the ECHL and goalies are required to make a lot more tough saves.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #47
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Went with Foo, although I could've been just as easy to go with Andersson.

Foo slots in as a potential top line forward, with the smarts and physical ability to play a defensive role if necessary.

Andersson is a good, solid 4-6 defenseman and will be a regular NHL player. He does a lot of things well, but I don't see anything exceptional in his skill set to project him as a top pairing blue liner.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #48
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with Dube. I think he has a real chance on making the Flames to start the year. Andersson was close. Parson dropped a couple of spots for me because his first pro season was a struggle.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
CPs irrational goalie love is encapsulated perfectly in 2015's prospect ranking: Gillies #3 and Ortio #5. 3 years later Ortio is playing for Skelleftea AIK and Gillies has barely shown anything in the NHL.
In that same vote, Poirier was ranked #2 but you ignored that because it didn't fit the narrative.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CPs irrational goalie love is encapsulated perfectly in 2015's prospect ranking: Gillies #3 and Ortio #5. 3 years later Ortio is playing for Skelleftea AIK and Gillies has barely shown anything in the NHL.
Well, who was behind them that should have been ahead?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #51
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And they both should have been ahead of Porier!

Not exactly an exact science, but Ortio had a stint in the NHL and Gillies was looking solid before the hip. Still got some NHL time this year. Ranking players 3 and 5 who have had 12 and 27 games in the NHL as goalies is not terrible to be honest. But I think we are all aware that these lists will be vastly inaccurate after 5 years
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #52
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think there is a reason most of us keyboard warriors are working where we are. Prospects are hardly an exact science. As much as we pat ourselves on the back, chances are most of the teams ran by fans would be dumpster fires with massive cap issues. Just look north.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #53
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I mainly focus on Goalie Science.

And Parsons is the real deal.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #54
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
His last year with the Knights they were not even remotely a powerhouse. Most nights he literally carried that team on his back. To suggest he is below Mason McDonald as a prospect is being ridiculous.
To suggest he is below Parsons as a prospect is ridiculous.... as you did

Troll

Oiler Fan?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #55
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington for me here.

Why him and not Andersson? Skating is a factor. I wonder about his conditioning as well - it hasn't come up, but I did see to notice at the end of last season he looked gassed at times. Maybe nothing, maybe something.

At the end of the day, I just think Kylington is an absolutely filthy skater with high end offensive abilities, and I think his defensive game seems to be rounding-out really nicely.

He needs to put on a bit more strength, but I thought he was close. I wasn't alone in commentating last camp that Kylington seemed the most NHL-ready, and there were quite a few posters surprised that he got sent to the AHL. I think size is what he needed to focus on, and it wouldn't surprise me for this kid to come in and win a spot on the team this year.

Having Kylington on the team will give the Flames a different look on that third pairing to start, as he is super fast out there. I still think his ceiling is that of a top-pairing defencemen that puts up healthy points every season.

I like Andersson, but I think his mobility will hurt him, and Andersson also doesn't have the size to make up for it (not that he is small - just average-sized).

I do think that BOTH of these defencemen are going to be NHL players, I just think Kylington has the higher upside, and I think his floor has risen dramatically with how much better he is defensively.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #56
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
To suggest he is below Parsons as a prospect is ridiculous.... as you did

Troll

Oiler Fan?
Can we please for the sake of the board ban this clown already? Yes, Mason McDonald who has never put up good numbers is higher than a memorial cup/WJC gold medal goalie. This guy adds absolutely nothing to the boards except to stir the pot. Telling the board if they don't vote for Andersson they are not a Flames fan is just ignorant and trolling and you have been outed multiple times as not even being a Flames fan. The mods have given you a ridiculously long piece of rope but it is time to tie the noose.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #57
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really? Shouldn't a player's performance dictate where he rates? He performed below MacDonald last season, while being given great opportunity to do so. The glaring weaknesses in his game were exposed, which should directly impact how his strengths are perceived, no? I think he has to come back and prove he can at least out play Mason MacDonald before we thrust a crown of a top prospect on him. He has to prove his junior performance can translate to the pro game, or he has to learn how to play goal like a professional goaltender. I know that his junior game didn't produce results in either league he was in last year, so you should be able to figure out the next logical step in his progression as a professional. I'm not sure the second option is a certain at this point. Hence thinking his ranking should be much lower.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #58
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? Shouldn't a player's performance dictate where he rates? He performed below MacDonald last season, while being given great opportunity to do so.
He was pretty much injured the whole season, you are going to rate him on that? He is also fairly younger than Mason McDonald. One year does not prove anything as there are way more factors in play like a goalies skills. By your argument Brian Elliot should be ranked higher than Carey Price.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #59
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can we please for the sake of the board ban this clown already? Yes, Mason McDonald who has never put up good numbers is higher than a memorial cup/WJC gold medal goalie. This guy adds absolutely nothing to the boards except to stir the pot. Telling the board if they don't vote for Andersson they are not a Flames fan is just ignorant and trolling and you have been outed multiple times as not even being a Flames fan. The mods have given you a ridiculously long piece of rope but it is time to tie the noose.
I feel icky for doing this, but I have to defend ricardodw. What makes your behavior any different from ricardodw? You call him out for making an absolute statement about the judgment of a player, then follow it up with this gem.

Quote:
To suggest he is below Mason McDonald as a prospect is being ridiculous.
Whats the difference?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #60
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel icky for doing this, but I have to defend ricardodw. What makes your behavior any different from ricardodw? You call him out for making an absolute statement about the judgment of a player, then follow it up with this gem.

Whats the difference?
Because I never said if you have Mason McDonald ahead of Tyler Parsons you are not a Flames fan. I just said it seems ridiculous to me. There is a huge difference between saying it is ridiculous imo to rank McDonald ahead of Parsons and saying either you choose player X or you are not a Flames fan.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: