Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Andersson, Rasmus 259 67.45%
Dube, Dillon 56 14.58%
Ehliz, Yasin 0 0%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 7 1.82%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 2 0.52%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 2 0.52%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 8 2.08%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 14 3.65%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 35 9.11%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 1 0.26%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 0 0%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #21
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll never understand some people's love for goalies. Parsons was bad in the AHL last year and not very good in the ECHL. Goalies almost never pan out, so why so much optimism for them? Did any other prospect on this list have as bad a season as Parsons?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #22
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I'll never understand some people's love for goalies. Parsons was bad in the AHL last year and not very good in the ECHL. Goalies almost never pan out, so why so much optimism for them? Did any other prospect on this list have as bad a season as Parsons?
When I watch Parsons play I get excited. He is DAMN good. A single season does not make or break any prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #23
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dube.

Parsons might have what it takes to be higher but it's so hard to judge goalies until they start playing NHL games. Look at how high we ranked Gillies at one time and now that we've seen him have some tough games, even though his ceiling is still the same, he will drop down the list.

I don't see the light on Andersson yet. His skating might keep him from reaching higher.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #24
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
This is such a perfect post, holy god.
Except for he spelled the players name incorrectly.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #25
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's hard to determine what constitutes the 'best prospect' but the way I look at it is who would return the most value in a trade.

That's hard to determine at the moment but I think it comes down to Dube or Anderson. I went with Dube because of his all around game and hockey sense.

Sincerely,
A troll
Old 07-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #26
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
For me, it's Parsons (though I know he won't get the votes). If we are ever going to be perennial contenders, we will need an elite goalie. And Parsons has the pedigree to be that.

I think the the prospects most likely to become stars, or real impact players, are Valimaki and Parsons, so they should be 1-2, IMO.
I hope you're right. But our stars haven't spent a day in the minors after we drafted them. That makes me take pause on a lot of our projections.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #27
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
When I watch Parsons play I get excited. He is DAMN good. A single season does not make or break any prospect.
I've gone down this road of arguing about goalies before, and I have no desire to try again... but I will say that I could at least understand some votes for Gillies as he had a good year in the AHL and didn't embarrass himself at the NHL level. But Parsons? The dude didn't just have an off year, he had an absolutely brutal year. If you watched him last year all he was DAMN good at was fishing the puck out of the back of his net.

Returning this discussion to where it belongs, Andersson seemed like the clear choice for me this round. Dube and Mangiapane are next up for my consideration.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #28
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
It's hard to determine what constitutes the 'best prospect' but the way I look at it is who would return the most value in a trade...
I like this way of thinking, but by the same token trade values for players are not directly interchangeable with their on-ice value. Goalies may be the most important players on the ice, and yet they are exceptionally cheap to acquire. Defensemen have a pretty flexible range in the variety of their skill-sets, and they are easily the most expensive assets on the market. I think this artificially affects the actual value of prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Crazy how we put so much effort into some prospects, then others (Foo, Czarnik) just shoot their way up in the top half of depth charts.
You have to remember that Foo is quite a bit older than most of these guys. He turns 25 on New Year's Day. He's less than 6 months younger than Gaudreau and older than Jankowski, Monahan, Lazar, Lindholm, Bennett, Tkachuk, Hanifin, etc.

Because he wasn't drafted, no one was tracking his progress year-by-year like we did with those other guys. No one was fretting over him playing two years in the AJHL after he was draft-eligible.

There's an old saying that it takes 10 years of hard work to become an overnight success. That's kind of what Foo is.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #30
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson, all the way. So many good things said about him by observers from all over.

Interesting to see so much early support for Parsons. I think he has a lot to prove before cracking the top 10. He just finished his first year of pro, but he's gotta prove he can be good at any level of pro to be elevated above Gillies or Rittich, or even MacDonald at this point. After a great career in junior, behind the powerhouse Knights, he's going to have to show some growth at the pro-level IMO.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #31
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with Parsons just for his potential upside. He may not be with the team for a couple years, but if he continues to develop I think he has a chance to make a substantial impact.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #32
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Andersson ... I adjusted my upside for him last year due to his AHL play and then his poise in the last few games of the season. He was adjusting. He's no longer an "if" on making it, and I see him as more of a 4 now than a 5.

Parsons ... goalies almost never turn pro and have immediate success. He's the long play and on schedule. Too competitive to not bounce back and he's due to have better luck with injuries this year.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #33
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
CPs irrational goalie love is encapsulated perfectly in 2015's prospect ranking: Gillies #3 and Ortio #5. 3 years later Ortio is playing for Skelleftea AIK and Gillies has barely shown anything in the NHL.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #34
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Andersson, all the way. So many good things said about him by observers from all over.

Interesting to see so much early support for Parsons. I think he has a lot to prove before cracking the top 10. He just finished his first year of pro, but he's gotta prove he can be good at any level of pro to be elevated above Gillies or Rittich, or even MacDonald at this point. After a great career in junior, behind the powerhouse Knights, he's going to have to show some growth at the pro-level IMO.
His draft +1 year he was just ridiculous in some of those playoff games. London was out shot by almost a 2 to 1 margin. I know last season had its ups and downs due to injuries, but his athletic ability and drive is what makes me think he has what it takes. I could be completely wrong, but I think he has a bit of that 'it' factor.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #35
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

Echo this.

I have Gillies above Parsons and several skaters above Gillies. I think Parsons will bounce back but he's coming off a .902 sv% in the ECHL... you don't post that and shoot up the prospect rankings.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #36
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

the further away from the NHL a goalie is the better prospect he is.

Gillies has progressed and is close to being an NHL goalie and now that he is a actually a year or two from make or break he is not a good prospect.

Parsons will not be a good prospect in 2-3 years when he is on the cusp of being in the NHL.

Their should be 2 polls... one for skaters and one for goalies.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #37
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
CPs irrational goalie love is encapsulated perfectly in 2015's prospect ranking: Gillies #3 and Ortio #5. 3 years later Ortio is playing for Skelleftea AIK and Gillies has barely shown anything in the NHL.
Nothing irrational about it in my mind.

Goalies get touted but their development path is more up / down and out than skaters. Ortio had a pretty impressive stint with the Flames to conclude the 14/15 season so it made sense to think there was more to come.

Gillies won a college championship and was named to a World Junior team while coming off back to back to back 93% save percentage seasons.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #38
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
His draft +1 year he was just ridiculous in some of those playoff games. London was out shot by almost a 2 to 1 margin. I know last season had its ups and downs due to injuries, but his athletic ability and drive is what makes me think he has what it takes. I could be completely wrong, but I think he has a bit of that 'it' factor.

His drive is his greatest strength, and greatest weakness. Parsons was awesome in junior because he was always challenging the shooter and being hyper-aggressive in his net. This does not translate to the pros. Pros will wait a goaltender out and allow them to make a mistake. The over-aggressive goaltenders always make the mistake and get lit up. Parsons needs to show he can reign this in and learn to play at the pro-level. He's not playing against 16-18 year old kids who panic when they see the goaltender come charging out of the crease at them. Like I said, he has a great skill set - his athleticism and drive being his greatest assets - but he has to prove he can play at the pro level. Last year was a pretty big failure, so we need to look for growth this year.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #39
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson here for me but after this one I have to start thinking about it a bit more.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #40
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Anyone that votes for someone other than Anderssen is obviously a troll and not a Flames fan
F off with your b.s. Seriously, a guy who is the epitome of a troll and not a fan of the team at all has the balls to say this? Go away.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: