Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #21
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Yikes. Latest maintenance trip to dealer for maintenance gives me the news my 2010 vehicle with 95,000 km on it needs some serious work:
- timing belt (not such a surprise) ~$1000
- front brakes ~$400
- power steering rack replaced (do so before the pump runs dry) - it is leaking - ~$1800!

Any advice on alternatives for getting this work done?
timing belt is due given age and stated mileage - front pads can last much longer but depends on your driving habits. Odd to need a complete new steering rack. Those can leak for years without issue - just watch your fluid level now and again.

quoted prices for timing belt and brakes is not totally out of whack - yes you could find a better price, but if you don't have an existing relationship with a mechanic my bet is you will pay nearly as much at a non-dealer for those jobs. Get another opinion on the steering rack - unless you have noticeable signs of problems in steering when driving.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #22
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Many thanks, Corral! Great advice. Will do.
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #23
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Looking at a few used cars that have some rock chip dings on the front paint (on metal), can anyone recommend someone that can fix something like that inexpensively? Repainting the part would cost a lot, not sure if there's places which will just work on the individual dings for a reasonable price?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #24
photon

Exp:

As far as options, I'm looking for something that's somewhat sporty but still has all the creature comforts and works as a daily driver. I rarely have more than me and my kid in the car, we have a Civic for running around with everyone. Would like to get an AWD car, I don't think I'll want a RWD one.

So far on my short list:

Audi A5
Cadillac CTS4 Sedan, Coupe, or even the Wagon
Dodge Charger AWD versions
Infinity G37x Sedan

Most I want to spend is about $20,000, which seems to get me cars about 5-8 years old and 80,000 to 120,000kms.

Genesis Coupe and Infinity Coupes are out as they're a bit small (and one RWD only).

At that age is Mercedes worth looking at? I really like the E class (though I guess that's a bigger car than the others that I've been looking at, but they're nice!), but I assume MB is expensive for repairs, is it worse than VW/Audi?

Avoiding BMW for the same reason (expensive to repair). Don't like SUVs, might consider a CUV.

Are there any other models I should be considering?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #25
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Any advice on alternatives for getting this work done?
Brakes aren't horribly hard to do, especially if you're just changing pads. Cheapest thing on the list, but you'd save likely 2-300 if you felt like a DIY job.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
As far as options, I'm looking for something that's somewhat sporty but still has all the creature comforts and works as a daily driver. I rarely have more than me and my kid in the car, we have a Civic for running around with everyone. Would like to get an AWD car, I don't think I'll want a RWD one.

So far on my short list:

Audi A5
Cadillac CTS4 Sedan, Coupe, or even the Wagon
Dodge Charger AWD versions
Infinity G37x Sedan

Most I want to spend is about $20,000, which seems to get me cars about 5-8 years old and 80,000 to 120,000kms.

Genesis Coupe and Infinity Coupes are out as they're a bit small (and one RWD only).

At that age is Mercedes worth looking at? I really like the E class (though I guess that's a bigger car than the others that I've been looking at, but they're nice!), but I assume MB is expensive for repairs, is it worse than VW/Audi?

Avoiding BMW for the same reason (expensive to repair). Don't like SUVs, might consider a CUV.

Are there any other models I should be considering?
Subaru? You should be able to find a 4ish year old one for under 20k. Might be worth upping your budget to 25k if you can and getting a new one.

This Legacy looks like a good deal:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know if the Legacy is really what he's after, but an STI hatch is practical and pretty fun. Or a VW GTI.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Don't know if the Legacy is really what he's after, but an STI hatch is practical and pretty fun. Or a VW GTI.
Well he has Dodge Charger and Audi on the same list, and asked if there are any other models to consider, so I threw it out there. Do GTI's come in AWD?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #29
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golf R
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #30
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well he has Dodge Charger and Audi on the same list, and asked if there are any other models to consider, so I threw it out there. Do GTI's come in AWD?
Yeah I'm assuming he's looking for something with a bit of horsepower based on that list. And no, you're right, it'd be a Golf R, which might be too pricy. STI it is.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #31
photon

Exp:

Yeah I guess I should say I'm looking for something that's a bit more on the sporty looking curve (without going fully to a sports car).

I forgot about the VW hatches, I'll take a look!!

That Subaru looks like a very responsible choice, I just get bored looking at it lol, Subaru styling does nothing for me . That and Honda/Acura.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #32
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, they are kind of dull looking. I think the 3.6l engine would have some kick though. The 2.0l in the Impreza is not very sporty.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #33
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Icon34

I was looking for something similar and after all my research ended up with the Infiniti G series. I had two friends that went with BMWs instead and had nothing but issues from a maintenance perspective. My first G got written off when I was rear-ended and I liked it so much I replaced it with a coupe instead of the sedan. In four years of ownership I had zero issues and the cars were fantastic to drive. In my opinion, best bang for your buck given the power, cost of maintenance, and drive. Just sold my coupe and will miss it for a long time...haha.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #34
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I guess I should say I'm looking for something that's a bit more on the sporty looking curve (without going fully to a sports car).
I dropped my Impreza for a GTI last year and I still love it. If you don't mind FWD instead of the AWD go for the GTI and add the APR tune. Pushes it up to almost Golf R numbers for a fraction of the cost.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #35
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just sold my 4DR 2012 GTI with APR tune, had 70km on it for $18k, something similar would fit your budget. You don't really need the AWD in my opinion if you throw winters on. Car was solid, no issues with it over the life, still has the original windshield with no chips or cracks.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #36
photon

Exp:

Yeah front wheel drive would be fine, I was more trying to avoid RWD. I'll have to test one out.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #37
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 tiny screw in a tire may cost me about 500$ this weekend...

Any one got a Hook-up for Hankook Dynapro HT Tires

Need 1 225 65/R17 at approx. 80% to match three others on an AWD Nissan Rogue.

Alternatively I need to get two new ones...
Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get one new one, and put the spare on the other side. Do burnouts until you hit 80%, then swap the spare back with your good old one. Job done!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #39
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its a Nissan Rogue...Pretty sure there's not enough power to do a burnout...
Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is always enough power when you add some nitro.