Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Into the second season and it's quite clear that the plan is for Rittch to be back-up or 1b with no more than a third of the starts regardless of stats and results. Would love to hear a reasonable argument otherwise but can't fathom what it would be.

Being too hard on Treliving? Sure, maybe Rittich gets traded before we lose him for nothing but seems pretty clear he's not in the future plans of the club.
I don't think your response had anything to do with my post.

But Treliving has never lost a prospect (or an NHLer) for "nothing" except where he simply cut an RFA or ELC contract loose (like Morrison or Colborne).

You seem to think that Rittich is clearly better. Great. Perhaps management thinks otherwise. Perhaps they think he's hit a ceiling. Maybe they think he's better with fewer starts. Maybe they like him better but want to give Gillies every chance to prove them wrong. Maybe they have him in mind as a tradeable asset and want him to start in the NHL more. Or maybe they want to get Gillies into a game here for the same purpose.

One thing I know - Treliving doesn't sit on his ass - he makes every attempt to get value.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #22
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rittich upside imo is a career AHL er. Gillies is unkown
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #23
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Rittich upside imo is a career AHLer.
Interesting, my personal guess was fairly serviceable 20-25 game NHL backup.

This is just from my eye test and looking at his statline, so I'm wondering what led you to such a different assessment.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #24
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Rittich has backup potential. Gillies has starter, and dominant starter potential. Gillies is the guy you give the development opportunities to. The payoff is greater.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #25
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I think Rittich has backup potential. Gillies has starter, and dominant starter potential. Gillies is the guy you give the development opportunities to. The payoff is greater.

Not to mention the Flames have invested WAY more into Gillies than Rittich.

That matters.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #26
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies had already booked a flight to Detroit before being called up:

Quote:
On Saturday, they learned a former teammate at Providence College had died after a lengthy battle with cancer.

On Tuesday, they gathered to celebrate Drew Brown’s life in Grass Lake, Mich.

It just so happens that when Smith was injured in Monday’s opening period against the Blues, he already had a flight booked from California to Detroit.

He arrived before sunrise Tuesday, made the hour-plus drive to Grass Lake for Brown’s funeral service and met the Flames later that day at a hotel in the Motor City.
http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/...tional-stretch

I had actually wondered if his funeral might have been a reason why they called up Gillies, but then I saw they were playing in Detroit. Didn't realize Brown's funeral was actually in Michigan.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #27
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think your response had anything to do with my post.

But Treliving has never lost a prospect (or an NHLer) for "nothing" except where he simply cut an RFA or ELC contract loose (like Morrison or Colborne).

You seem to think that Rittich is clearly better. Great. Perhaps management thinks otherwise. Perhaps they think he's hit a ceiling. Maybe they think he's better with fewer starts. Maybe they like him better but want to give Gillies every chance to prove them wrong. Maybe they have him in mind as a tradeable asset and want him to start in the NHL more. Or maybe they want to get Gillies into a game here for the same purpose.

One thing I know - Treliving doesn't sit on his ass - he makes every attempt to get value.
I don't know who will ultimately prove to be better. It may be that the organization still sees Gillies as having the better upside. But Rittich has been better over the past two seasons. I think opportunities should correspond to performance for the organization. Otherwise you are taking away the motivation for players to fight for spots.

I also think there's a high possibility the organization may regret not giving Rittich his due after he moves on.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #28
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
That does seem to be the organization's take. Why do you read it that way?
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:28 AM   #29
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

What happened to Parsons? Is he still a good goalie prospect?
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #30
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Yeah he definitely is, they have Parsons in the ECHL right now so he can get at least some pro games in, since he's way too good for the OHL at this point. They need one of Rittich or Gillies to graduate relatively soon so he can get into the AHL.
Jetfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:59 AM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
He's regarded as one of, if not the top goaltender prospect outside the NHL. They aren't going to rush him though and Gillies is getting close to the point where they have to find out if he can be a player. The truth is that Rittich is the better goaltender right now. I get that the Flames have invested more in Gillies but sometimes the unheralded players end up better and this appears to be the case at the moment.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #32
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Smith is not ready for Saturday, then I think we start Gillies.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #33
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
Yeah he definitely is, they have Parsons in the ECHL right now so he can get at least some pro games in, since he's way too good for the OHL at this point. They need one of Rittich or Gillies to graduate relatively soon so he can get into the AHL.

Not sure if this is due more to team defense or is more indicative of his play but he’s had a very lackluster start in the ECHL. 4-4-0 / GAA 3.89 / Sv% .893.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #34
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
If Smith is not ready for Saturday, then I think we start Gillies.
No way in hell, Gillies has never shown that he can play in the NHL. Not last night, not during the preseason and not last year. Hate to break it to you guys, Gillies will likely never live up to what we had hoped he would turn in to.

If Smith isn't ready, I would call up Rittich and see if he at least looks competent. If he's as piss poor as the other two, then I think priority #1 for Treliving is to go out and get a decent back up.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
No way in hell, Gillies has never shown that he can play in the NHL. Not last night, not during the preseason and not last year. Hate to break it to you guys, Gillies will likely never live up to what we had hoped he would turn in to.

If Smith isn't ready, I would call up Rittich and see if he at least looks competent. If he's as piss poor as the other two, then I think priority #1 for Treliving is to go out and get a decent back up.
He has an NHL win, FWIW (and looked pretty good getting it in a game where the Flames had nothing to play for).

His only other appearance was in a blowout where the Flames had given up. And in which one goal was a breakaway and another was on a two man advantage after a brawl where no one had their head in the game any more. You can't tell anything about Gillies from last night.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Not sure if this is due more to team defense or is more indicative of his play but he’s had a very lackluster start in the ECHL. 4-4-0 / GAA 3.89 / Sv% .893.
It's just a guess but I'd bet goalie is the one position where stats generally improve the higher pro level you go. In other words NHLe for goalies is opposite NHLe for skaters.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #37
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I think right now the biggest difference between Gillies & Lack is that one of them is eager to get out there and show what he can do and the other might be afraid to make a mistake. Again, I might just be seeing what I want to see.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really though what has Lack done to show that he's more capable than Gillies at this point? I don't think the Flames chances of winning change much as all going to Gillies but I do agree that Rittich should have been the call-up in the first place. The reason I feel Rittich would have been better is that he's older than Gillies and more seasoned and the fact is that regardless of who is backing up Smith they aren't going to play a lot so I would rather have Gillies taking the full load in Stockton continuing his development and Rittich as the guy playing sparingly in the NHL.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #39
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You clearly didn’t watch his start in LA last year.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #40
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you start Gillies over Lack next game, you might as well send Lack home because he'll be done after that.

If Smith can't go, you have to give Lack at least the Philly game to prove that he is an NHL goalie. If he fails again, that should be it.