Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you want the Flames to do at the deadline?
Go All-in 5 6.41%
Buy 10 12.82%
Stand Pat 24 30.77%
Sell 35 44.87%
Blow It UP! 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #101
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would have liked a 'Sell & Buy' option in the poll.

So move out some of the UFA's from an asett managment point of view but also buying something that will be of use if there is a deal to be made. Does that make them buyers then, I don't know, but a bit of both for me.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #102
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Tre is a wizard, but Cliff Fletcher is the Grand Master. Makes Tre like an amateur. If Tre can pull a heist off in the 5 hours or so before the trading deadline, then I'd consider him in the ranks of Cliff Fletcher. Those were the good old days. It's pretty much a legend now, except the Flames seems to get legendary fleecing by the Leafs every time they deal with them.
The Cap has a lot to say about trades now as well.

Funny though, those trades weren't obvious fleecings at the time. McMillan and Lever were good players and it looked like Lanny was drying up some. Beers was actually a pretty good scorer in the 2 years before the Mullen trade and was still only 25. Bourgeous was a decent Dman. Wilson and Johnson weren't really NHL calibre. Even Bullard was a 48 goal man (compared to Gilmour's 36) and then as soon as he was traded he started to fizzle out.

The Tonelli deal was similar to Lanny but really wasn't as much of a fleecing.
Tonelli was seen as having hit his peak (which was actually true). Konroyd was seen as a really good up and coming Dman. In hindsight, while everyone remembers Tonelli fondly because of the 1986 run, he actually had better years both before and after his time in Calgary.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:42 AM   #103
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

“Be better after the deadline than before the deadline.”
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #104
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames need someone fast, hard, relentless and cheap. I feel like they've needed this all season long. You look at the way Ward wants this team to play, with pace, high battle level, hard on the forecheck and backcheck. Extra size wouldn't hurt either. Not a lot of players on this team seem to fit that bill.

So that's what I'd like to see. Hopefully he comes cheap, like a 4th round pick.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #105
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Looks to me like an average team that has been bouncing inconsistently around the mean. More inconsistent under Peter's, but still bouncing around. Never too high and never too low at 5v5. Maybe I am missing what you are trying to show...but to me this proves what many are saying. It's an average team that does not warrant a massive all in investment...
Here's a bunch of different teams on this twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/s...58818825838592

Flames are clearly off from the Bruins or Blues, but rest of them look worse or at best even with the Flames.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #106
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Flames need someone fast, hard, relentless and cheap. I feel like they've needed this all season long. You look at the way Ward wants this team to play, with pace, high battle level, hard on the forecheck and backcheck. Extra size wouldn't hurt either. Not a lot of players on this team seem to fit that bill.

So that's what I'd like to see. Hopefully he comes cheap, like a 4th round pick.

So the Flames are looking for my ex?

Hi-Yo!
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote