Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #21
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

So the owners will charge less for tickets earlier in the year?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #22
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
The point I was trying to make in this thread is that the current format does not take the CURRENT best 8 teams from each conference, it takes 8 teams from each conference based on a blended average of results spread out over 6 months. I think it's a ridiculous way of determining who should be in and who should be out. That being said, admittedly, people will tend to defend the status quo simply because they are accustomed to it.
It's not defending it because it's the status quo.

It's defending it because you haven't provided an alternative that makes any sense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #23
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
@mathgod. Ok, you're thread is stupid.

Better?
Compelling as ever.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Lightning were decimated by injuries this season. The Stamkos injury was the headline, but it only begins to tell the story http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/tampa-b...-team-injuries
http://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.ca/2016...reakdowns.html

When healthy, I think it's fair to say they have one of the league's best rosters, as evidenced by 1) how they ended off the season and 2) how well they played in last year's playoffs (they pushed the Penguins harder than the Sharks or even the Caps did). If they were healthier this year I fully believe they would have given the Habs a run for the division crown.

Would the Flames have made the playoffs (or even finished within a point of a playoff spot) if Gaudreau had missed most of the season? Not likely.

The point I was trying to make in this thread is that the current format does not take the CURRENT best 8 teams from each conference, it takes 8 teams from each conference based on a blended average of results spread out over 6 months. I think it's a ridiculous way of determining who should be in and who should be out. That being said, admittedly, people will tend to defend the status quo simply because they are accustomed to it.

You could have just done what the others in this thread did and simply suggest that it's "silly" or "stupid" to criticize the status quo, but you took the next step and took a backhanded, ignorant, and ill-informed personal swipe at me. Well done.
So you want the league to ignore the results of 82 games and award playoff spots to teams that have the best rosters on paper? Lightning had bad luck on the injury front but that's the way it goes in all sports.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #25
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
@mathgod. Ok, you're thread is stupid.

Better?
Really?
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #26
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Injuries are a part of it. You can't just give the Lightning credit for having a better roster on paper.

That is subjective.

Actually playing games and using the results is not subjective.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #27
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So you want the league to ignore the results of 82 games and award playoff spots to teams that have the best rosters on paper? Lightning had bad luck on the injury front but that's the way it goes in all sports.
I'd like to see the playoff format expanded to include more teams.

Either that or change the scaling of the games so that results from the first 41 games count slightly less than the results of the latter 41 games. (This isn't likely to happen though due to it being slightly complex.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'm not suggesting that games shouldn't be played.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #28
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Really?
Come on.
His thread idea is ridiculous. It's not even coherent, as other posters have illustrated.

I'll stop now though.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #29
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Either that or change the scaling of the games so that results from the first 41 games count slightly less than the results of the latter 41 games. (This isn't likely to happen though due to it being slightly complex.)

I take it you are a huge proponent of participation ribbons.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #30
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not make the early games count for more when there is a better chance the teams are healthy ?

Or weight games for how many injured players each team has.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Either that or change the scaling of the games so that results from the first 41 games count slightly less than the results of the latter 41 games. This isn't likely to happen since it would probably be too complex for the average hockey fan to appreciate.
No that just can't work. You would have teams resting players in the first half of the season and all sorts of other shenanigans. All games have to be worth the same amount of points. I don't understand why you think the 2nd half of the season somehow means more than the first half.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #32
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Come on.
His thread idea is ridiculous. It's not even coherent, as other posters have illustrated.

I'll stop now though.
I was meaning if you say something is stupid, try and make sure you're using the right words

Last edited by stang; 04-09-2017 at 09:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #33
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

What if Stamkos got hurt in the second half? Would you want the first half to count for more?
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #34
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

What??? Why don't they just make the season 20 games and see who gets in? Or make the season 50 pre-season games and 30 actual games.

Every game matters, that's what makes winning and losing at any point in the season matter, otherwise no one would care.

Also, players get injured. Should the league give bonus points to any team who loses their stars to injuries? C'mon man.

Your complaints make zero sense and it sounds like you should go watch the KHL if that's the hockey you want.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #35
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Injuries are a part of it. You can't just give the Lightning credit for having a better roster on paper.

That is subjective.

lol it's like whoever has the most talent in the league should be awarded points.

Might as well have all the stars on one team, take pay cuts to fit in the cap, and then automatically be awarded the Stanley Cup lol

This isn't fantasy hockey.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #36
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
What if Stamkos got hurt in the second half? Would you want the first half to count for more?
No.

I think a better question is if Gaudreau had missed most of the season and was on the verge of returning just in time for the playoffs, and the Flames had missed the playoffs by one point (finishing the season 20-6-4 even without Gaudreau), would the reaction to this thread be the same as it is now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
What??? Why don't they just make the season 20 games and see who gets in? Or make the season 50 pre-season games and 30 actual games.

Every game matters, that's what makes winning and losing at any point in the season matter, otherwise no one would care.

Also, players get injured. Should the league give bonus points to any team who loses their stars to injuries? C'mon man.

Your complaints make zero sense and it sounds like you should go watch the KHL if that's the hockey you want.
My main suggestion is to expand the playoffs to include more teams. So far no one has made a counter argument to it.

Last edited by Mathgod; 04-09-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #37
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No.

I think a better question is if Gaudreau had missed most of the season and was on the verge of returning just in time for the playoffs, and the Flames had missed the playoffs by one point (finishing the season 20-6-4 even without Gaudreau), would the reaction to this thread be the same as it is now?
Yes
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #38
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

But injuries, flukes and adversity is part of sports and why you play the game. The winner shouldn't be your best starting roster but the best team, which includes depth and how those players play when on the roster. Otherwise you're just letting the stats guys decide a winner instead of the players and team.

If you only look at a teams best rosters as having value to standings, maybe only the best goals too? Like a flukey goal doesn't count as much as one where the player calls the shot before hand?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #39
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No.

Yes.

That's how sports works.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My main suggestion is to expand the playoffs to include more teams. So far no one has made a counter argument to it.
More than half the league already makes the playoffs. You want the league to be like the CFL where bad teams make the playoffs?

Tags
blue jackets , lightning , penguins , playoffs , standings