Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #61
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season is early not going to sweat it still in the mix for a playoff spot.l, on to the next game

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #62
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The alarming thing for me is that they haven't really turned a corner since the losing streak and their play seems to be getting worse.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #63
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

the top players aren't consistent enough

why do huberdeau and toffoli only have one of those bang bang plays in them in one game ? they make a great play and capitalize then disappear

you need these top players to be hungry for a 2nd and 3rd point on the night

the canes player makes an "L" with his fingers at the Flames and we respond by doing s*** all with the goalie pulled

no pride . no unity . it's pathetic

call up some god damned farm players , you hack gm

might be the most painful team in the league to cheer for with their blocking of future talent or hope in favor of guys on the way out

give us something to be hopeful about or people are going to tune out quickly

I'm already on strictly radio now for games . I can't watch this trash product when time is better spent on literally anything else
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:05 PM   #64
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This roster has the talent to compete so either a whole bunch of players are having down years for a variety of reasons, which is possible, or the coach is doing such a terrible job that he’s making the team into something less than the sum of its parts.

If it’s both, then we’re really in trouble because then fixing one still means a long ass season.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 05:06 PM   #65
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I know this is pretty much a “Negative Nancy” post, but I honestly don’t care. It’s just how I feel currently at this moment:

This Flames team just isn’t a contender and I’m starting to think that we should’ve just rebuilt in the summer instead of going all in

The moves Brad made in the summer looked exciting, but the roster as constructed just isn’t good enough. This team is not very fun to watch right now. I get that people are saying we just need to wait for everything to “click” but how much longer until that happens? What if this team is pretty much out of the playoff picture by that time?

We could’ve been set with some good assets if we got futures for Tkachuk and we could’ve sold high on guys like Lindy and Hanny and such and would’ve been set going into this year’s allegedly stacked draft. I honestly would’ve preferred that than more than mediocre hockey

I really hope I’m wrong and I eat crow later on and this ends up in a “wall of shame” post. But the team currently just isn’t giving me too much to be excited about

I’m gonna keep watching and hoping for the best because I love this team and want them to succeed. And I can admire that Brad didn’t want to just go out crying during the summer when Johnny walked and Chucky wanted out. But currently it feels like to me that it wasn’t the right move to go all in and the rebuild should’ve just started
Old 11-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #66
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a playoff team. The hot start is screwing the #'s and flattering this team.

If they keep this playing like this, the only win that will matter will be the draft lottery.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #67
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

trading Tkachuk for futures only and going full tilt at bedard/michkov would've been better than this

then we could've seen 2-3 wranglers players with regular rotations too and could enjoy a preview of the future

this overspending on vets , icing a low skill team and being 9-9-3 and in no mans land is much worse than the alternative , quite honestly

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 11-26-2022 at 05:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 05:14 PM   #68
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I know this is pretty much a “Negative Nancy” post, but I honestly don’t care. It’s just how I feel currently at this moment:

This Flames team just isn’t a contender and I’m starting to think that we should’ve just rebuilt in the summer instead of going all in

The moves Brad made in the summer looked exciting, but the roster as constructed just isn’t good enough. This team is not very fun to watch right now. I get that people are saying we just need to wait for everything to “click” but how much longer until that happens? What if this team is pretty much out of the playoff picture by that time?

We could’ve been set with some good assets if we got futures for Tkachuk and we could’ve sold high on guys like Lindy and Hanny and such and would’ve been set going into this year’s allegedly stacked draft. I honestly would’ve preferred that than more than mediocre hockey

I really hope I’m wrong and I eat crow later on and this ends up in a “wall of shame” post. But the team currently just isn’t giving me too much to be excited about

I’m gonna keep watching and hoping for the best because I love this team and want them to succeed. And I can admire that Brad didn’t want to just go out crying during the summer when Johnny walked and Chucky wanted out. But currently it feels like to me that it wasn’t the right move to go all in and the rebuild should’ve just started
If you posted this during season before last or during the off-season in summer of 2021, it would read exactly the same, except with a few name changes.

Everyone thought we sucked and should rebuild. The whole forum was up in arms about how much the team sucked and simply wasn’t good enough.

Fast forward a few months, the whole roster is having career years and we looked like contenders.

It’s always the exact same reaction when the team plays poorly, until they don’t. Then it’s all sunshine and rainbows.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 05:14 PM   #69
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

I'm not one to really pile on here, but something needs to change. Dube and Mang have been terrible this year. Nothing I'd like to see better than Dube moved out for another RW.

I've been cutting the new guys slack but Hube, while having the odd flash of being amazing has been pretty lack lustre. Kadri is trying to carry Mang and Dube, and failing...

There needs to be a infusion from the farm or a shake-up of some kind... put some of the boys in the press box with a bag of popcorn and let some hungry kids get a shot.... the outcome can't be much worse than what we've seen so far.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #70
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Mackey outplayed him for over a year and makes less money

Wasn't a shocking decision
While I don’t think Valimaki being here changes much, it goes more to the fact Valimaki was the higher valued asset with more potential.

Mackey is 26yo and hasn’t made it as a regular NHLer. He also doesn’t have any elite skills that would give you hope he could be a late bloomer that could eventually thrive. His upside has generally always been as a 5/6 Dman.

Taking all of that into consideration the obvious choice to me would be to keep Valimaki.

The problem was the contract Valimaki has and that is also a miscue on Treliving.

To be clear I do really like Tre and view him as a top GM but sometimes I wish this franchise would for once look towards the future instead of accepting mediocrity.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:17 PM   #71
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

either a shake up trade or call ups is required at this point

have to shake up the group in some way to spark some life

look at all the good play ruzicka has provided us (and I've never pegged him in the top 5 for prospects either) . what could some of these other kids bring??

let's find out !
Old 11-26-2022, 05:17 PM   #72
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post

This organization had the ability to set themselves up in this monster draft and took the complete opposite road

It starts with an ownership group that actually wants to win and the Flames don't have that.

Instead we will float around the bottom half of the league for the next decade.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 05:18 PM   #73
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Not a playoff team. The hot start is screwing the #'s and flattering this team.

If they keep this playing like this, the only win that will matter will be the draft lottery.
4-8-3 since October 26.

.367 points percentage, 28th out of 32 teams.

Season is still early, but the team is teetering precariously close to falling into dangerous territory.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:19 PM   #74
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Kadri and Lindholm were both ranked in the top 20 centres in the league this summer. I know it's subjective but we have a number one centre on this team.

What we don't have is a top 10 centre but only a third of the league has that (and the losers up north have two of them)

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-current...rs/c-335232368
That list has Kadri/Lindholm ranked ahead of Eichel/Hughes, I wouldn't put too much stock into it
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 05:20 PM   #75
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

coming home is the perfect time to waive rooney and have Zary/Pelletier and Phillips march down the hallway to the Flames dressing room
Old 11-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #76
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
this overspending on vets , icing a low skill team and being 9-9-3 and in no mans land is much worse than the alternative , quite honestly
This could be said for almost every Flames team of the past 20 years. Old, slow, low skill, and permanent playoff bubble purgatory is the hard coded identity of this franchise
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #77
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This organization had the ability to set themselves up in this monster draft and took the complete opposite road

It starts with an ownership group that actually wants to win and the Flames don't have that.

Instead we will float around the bottom half of the league for the next decade.
Where was this during the summer? Why are you only posting this now? Why weren’t you posting these doom and gloom predictions when we made the Huby trade and signed Kadri?

Everybody is Nostra-####ing-damus after we suck like they knew all along and just didn’t say anything until now.

Except me. I nailed it perfectly and was calling for a rebuild and said we should trade Johnny and Chucky before the season if they didn’t re-sign. I was called crazy and people called me an idiot.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:23 PM   #78
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This could be said for almost every Flames team of the past 20 years. Old, slow, low skill, and permanent playoff bubble purgatory is the hard coded identify of this franchise
disagree . the team was pretty youthful in its make up from 2016 -2020

but it had poor coaching unfortunately which squandered a lot of potential

it certainly hasnt always been the case , but more often then not yeah
Old 11-26-2022, 05:24 PM   #79
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Where was this during the summer? Why are you only posting this now? Why weren’t you posting these doom and gloom predictions when we made the Huby trade and signed Kadri?

Everybody is Nostra-####ing-damus after we suck like they knew all along and just didn’t say anything until now.

Except me. I nailed it perfectly and was calling for a rebuild and said we should trade Johnny and Chucky before the season if they didn’t re-sign. I was called crazy and people called me an idiot.
Haha I know you are joking but I did predict this in the summer
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #80
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
disagree . the team was pretty youthful in its make up from 2016 -2020

but it had poor coaching unfortunately which squandered a lot of potential

it certainly hasnt always been the case , but more often then not yeah
Well they should have been, trading Iginla in 2013 was the signal for a full-on rebuild. Less than 10 years later the Flames are the 7th oldest team in the league, that just doesn't make sense. This franchise refuses to or just doesn't have the ability to build through the draft, they always revert back to signing and trading for veteran players past their prime
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote