Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Icon35 [Rumour] Islanders "all-in" on acquiring star talent

The New York Islanders, for the past few months a team struggling to find a direction, have embraced a new one after striking out in free agency. The team made significant offers to Andrej Sekera, Mathieu Perreault, and Kris Versteeg, but narrowly missed out on each of them, forcing the team to go a different direction in acquiring new faces.

"It's been a year of change," GM TheScorpion said Saturday. "I've turned over the roster significantly since I got here, trying to squeeze the best value I could out of the players I inherited.

"My goal was always to surround my stars up front with terrific supporting pieces, and I feel that I've done just that with the acquisitions of Thomas Vanek, Radim Vrbata, Frans Nielsen, Mike Fisher, Conor Sheary, Michael Grabner, and Leo Komarov." However, the GM admits that he's made a crucial mistake.

"When I first arrived, I was blessed with a roster featuring stars up front like David Krejci, Corey Perry, and Jakub Voracek. However, I saw the stats of these players declining in the NHL, and I decided to trade them to grab some of these complimentary pieces. However, in doing so, I took on some poor contracts like Lee Stempniak and Paul Martin, which forced me to let go of even more assets to rid myself of them."

In other news, the Islanders announced Monday that they had fired their Director of Player Personnel, Mike Millbury. At the press conference for his firing, TheScorpion indicated that his management philosophies had moved to a different direction.

"In earlier months, I was under the impression that in this league, quality pales to quantity; however, this is obviously not the case. As such, we always seemed to fall on the losing end of the deals. However, we began to test a new philosophy in our deal acquiring Craig Anderson, and we are going to keep with that going forward following the success of that trade."

So, what sorts of deals can we look for in Brooklyn in the future?

"We have plenty of great complimentary players," said TheScorpion. "Our depth is among the best in the league. We will be looking to continue to add to that in Free Agency, of course, but in trades, that isn't happening. Our 1sts and 2nds will only be used on question marks if they're used at the draft. In trades? We're all-in on acquiring guys we know can contribute substantially.

"Our eyes and ears are open."

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unsolicited advice:
Wait to see what batch 2 has to offer. No need to spend picks/prospects you don't have on acquiring a star player. You have 3 picks coming your way next summer. 2x 3rds and a top 25. But you owe 2 x 2nds. Plus, you now have the cap room that many teams do not. So batch 2 could work favorably for you.

There's also a few teams in cap trouble right now. Either over the cap or have very little to sign the required needed number of players. That works in your favor as well if you play banker.

Or...do nothing at all and wait until 10-15 games into the season when might see teams who are anxious to make moves based on their slower than expected start. Prices will fall. It's ok to slow play this.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If I spend picks/prospects that I do have, does that make it better? Welp, no take-backs.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:54 AM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

As I'm sure you all know, the Islanders pulled off a deal with San Jose today to acquire Alexander Ovechkin. In case you didn't, here are the full terms:

Islanders get Alexander Ovechkin (78)
Sharks get Conor Sheary (71), Kole Lind, Scott Laughton, Frederick Gaudreau, and 2019 1st

However, the Islanders have now made another trade, this time with Minnesota:

Islanders get Josh Bailey (72), Jaret Anderson-Dolan
Wild get Teuvo Teravainen (69), Tom Pyatt (64)

We get the best player for right now (same rating as Marchessault for a fraction of the price! ) and a good prospect, Wild get a player with big potential and a good fourth-liner

Old 08-02-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Islanders continue to add star talent following a deal completed in the early hours of Wednesday. The trade saw star defenseman Duncan Keith on his way to Brooklyn, with scoring forward Michael Grabner and solid defensemen Thomas Hickey and Kevan Miller on their way to Nashville. The deal also saw $5 million heading the Islanders' way, in an effort to help their cap situation.

"At the end of the day, this was a deal that we had to make," said GM TheScorpion. "We'd like to thank the Predators and their GM Mathalete for hammering this out with us over the span of a few days... we know there was a lot of interest in this player and we're glad to have gotten him."

Keith brings #1 pedigree and experience to an Islander blueline lacking in both facets. While Morgan Rielly, Adam Larsson, and Josh Manson are all very good young top-4 defensemen, Duncan Keith is a step ahead of them all and will become the team's de-facto top player on the back-end going forward.

"It's a huge opportunity for me," said Keith, reached on his cell phone early Wednesday. "I loved my time in Nashville and I wish those guys all the best, but this really will be an exciting new chapter in my career. Seeing all those guys up front, like Alex, Mike, Radim, Thomas, Frans, and Josh... it makes your heart race a bit, you know?

"I just can't wait for the season to start."

Old 08-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
Knut

Exp:

Knut is offline   Reply With Quote