Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess at Sam Bennett's contract
2 years $6M ($3/) 34 5.57%
2 years $5.5M 62 10.16%
2 years $5M 105 17.21%
2 years $4.5M 118 19.34%
2 years $4M 55 9.02%
3 years $9M 53 8.69%
3 years $8.25M 47 7.70%
3 years $7.5M 54 8.85%
3 years $6.75M 30 4.92%
3 years $6M 10 1.64%
1 year deal 8 1.31%
Long Term deal 34 5.57%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #321
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It's the same thing every year with these second contracts...

The players all wait to see what the other guys get, in hopes that it is higher than what the team has offered them. Once a couple get done, the rest tend to fall like dominoes.

I am not at all concerned.

If it isn't signed when training camp starts - then it's time to be concerned.
Yup, everyone was waiting for Draisaitl and Chia to set the bar. I expect Pastrnak, Horvat, Wennberg, Bennett, and Duclair to all come together in the next week or so.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #322
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little worried but I'm pretty "Chicken Little"-esque
Scarred from last year's fiasco
Old 08-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #323
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would love to see a 5 year contract at $17.5 million ($3.5 million/year). I think this would be one of the best contracts Brad would ever sign. I think Bennett will prove to be one of the best players The Flames have drafted and this is not to diminish the drafting of Monahan, Gaudeau, Tkachuk, Backlund, Ferland and Brodie who have all been wonderful draft picks.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #324
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
I would love to see a 5 year contract at $17.5 million ($3.5 million/year). I think this would be one of the best contracts Brad would ever sign. I think Bennett will prove to be one of the best players The Flames have drafted and this is not to diminish the drafting of Monahan, Gaudeau, Tkachuk, Backlund, Ferland and Brodie who have all been wonderful draft picks.
Zero chance Bennett's side goes for that. Absolutely zero. Read your two bolded sentences again, of course it would be one of the best contracts he ever signed, just like Gaudrea at $5mil for 8 years would have been, too.

Everyone involved in the negotiation knows the draft position and potential of the player, and while his lack of production to date/uncertainty will keep the dollars down, they will not give up five full years when the potential of top line, RFA dollars ($6-$8mil in the current cap climate) are there for the taking as early as next season based on performance.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-18-2017 at 05:32 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #325
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm Bennett I go for a two year max show you contract
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #326
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, would be ideal to get a 3 year deal, I think Bennett's camp wants a 1yr and they settle in the middle for a few million aav.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #327
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Zero chance Bennett's side goes for that. Absolutely zero. Read your two bolded sentences again, of course it would be one of the best contracts he ever signed, just like Gaudrea at $5mil for 8 years would have been, too.

Everyone involved in the negotiation knows the draft position and potential of the player, and while his lack of production to date/uncertainty will keep the dollars down, they will not give up five full years when the potential of top line, RFA dollars ($6-$8mil in the current cap climate) are there for the taking as early as next season based on performance.
I agree that I am probably giving Brad too much credit, but I am still very hopefull he will sign Benny to a 3 year or longer contract.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #328
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Nurse won that fight IMO.

Also here's how hockeyfights voted it:
Nurse 61.6%
Draw 26.8%
Smith 11.6%
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/129729
Yep, people for sure voted Nurse as the winner, but I think it was because Smith was all bloodied. I think Smith landed more than Nurse, but ended up getting cut by his visor, making him look worse. It was a close fight, but I still give it to Smith.

Either way, even if Nurse won that fight, the point remains that he didn't 'clock' Smith, but for sure I wouldn't want Bennett trying to fight him. I do think that he is a spot-picker, and he goes about it without any 'code', but I do think he can more than likely beat anyone not named Ferland on Calgary's roster. That actually makes me a bit worried considering I think he is probably the 'wimpiest' of Edmonton's 4 ruffians.

Bennett would destroy his best friend McDavid though
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #329
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've said it a few different ways already in this thread...but I would accept pretty much any AAV to get that third year.

$4.5 x 3? Sure. Get it done Brad!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #330
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post
I've said it a few different ways already in this thread...but I would accept pretty much any AAV to get that third year.

$4.5 x 3? Sure. Get it done Brad!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
You're essentially valuing that third year at $8 million. That's a pretty bad gamble.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #331
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I picked up a retro Bennett jersey from Fan Attic for $110 earlier this summer. My first ever jersey with a name/number. Hoping for a big year from him, and that he signs soon!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #332
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What he has shown warrants 2-3 mil AAV.

If it's shorter term / bridge, then maybe 3.5 max.

People suggesting 4+ are out to lunch. He hasn't yet broken 40 points.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 AM   #333
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett is not enough of a finished product to miss any trainng camp. Here's hoping he and his agent realize that.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #334
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
What he has shown warrants 2-3 mil AAV.

If it's shorter term / bridge, then maybe 3.5 max.

People suggesting 4+ are out to lunch. He hasn't yet broken 40 points.
4 or 4+ on a longer-term deal (6+ years) could be a good signing, but as people mentioned it's unlikely Bennett has interest in such a deal.

3 years at 3M or so would be a nice contract for the Flames, and probably something Bennett could live with. I very seriously doubt 2 years is on the table from the Flames perspective, because it would be painting themselves into a corner 2 years from now with Tkachuk and Bennett both needing extensions while Brouwer and Frolik are still on the books.

3 years makes sense, but I'm still hoping we get a long-term deal on a good cap-hit.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #335
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the issue is the flames wanting 3 years and Bennett camp wanting 1 or 2, then the flames will likely have to overpay to get that 3rd season

If the flames were willing to pay 2.5 for the first 2 then if they throw in 5.5 for the 3rd season

Y1 - 2.5M
Y2 - 2.5M
Y3 - 5.5M

That would be an aav of 3.5, a little higher than you would like to see but I'm sure those are numbers both sides can work with.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #336
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

They need to handle Bennett like they did Backlund. Keep throwing him 'show me' contracts until he either clicks, or he doesn't.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #337
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Yep, people for sure voted Nurse as the winner, but I think it was because Smith was all bloodied. I think Smith landed more than Nurse, but ended up getting cut by his visor, making him look worse. It was a close fight, but I still give it to Smith.

Either way, even if Nurse won that fight, the point remains that he didn't 'clock' Smith, but for sure I wouldn't want Bennett trying to fight him. I do think that he is a spot-picker, and he goes about it without any 'code', but I do think he can more than likely beat anyone not named Ferland on Calgary's roster. That actually makes me a bit worried considering I think he is probably the 'wimpiest' of Edmonton's 4 ruffians.

Bennett would destroy his best friend McDavid though
Oh wow, watching that fight again Smith won for sure. I thought it was closer than that. I guess most people aren't smart enough to realize the visor cut him.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #338
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after my post earlier in this thread, I went and did a little bit of digging. What I discovered is that December 29th marked a Tale of Two Seasons for Sam Bennett. This was the last time Bennett played over a minute on the power play for the next 17 games. I therefore chose this date as a cutoff for examining his even strength production, because confidence is a thing.

I also included his 2015-16 season as a reference point. Keep in mind he spent most of that year playing with Frolik and Backlund, who will bump anyone's shot metrics, but I was most interested in shooting percentage and on-ice shooting percentage anyways. Except for Power Play Ice Time, everything being displayed here is a 5-on-5 statistic.

Sam Bennett On-Ice

Sam Bennett Individual

5-on-5 Points/60 just plummeted with his PP icetime taken away, and both the individual shooting percentage and on-ice shooting percentage dropped. He did reign in the penalties though.

Finally, here's Bennett's 5v5 production against some familiar names' seasons over the last three years.

Spoiler!

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #339
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this rate Sam Bennett may as well get a trade. Please don't let this drag out until training camp. I want Bennett focused on the season at hand. We need him to burst out.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #340
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
At this rate Sam Bennett may as well get a trade. Please don't let this drag out until training camp. I want Bennett focused on the season at hand. We need him to burst out.

"At this rate"? What on earth are you talking about? Bennett's contract may be taking a little longer than many of us anticipated, but I can't imagine we are anywhere near worrying about him being moved because of it. It is important to note that neither Bennett's camp nor the team provided any indication that there are irreconcilable differences in their negotiation, nor that there would not be a contract in place before camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: