Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess at Sam Bennett's contract
2 years $6M ($3/) 34 5.57%
2 years $5.5M 62 10.16%
2 years $5M 105 17.21%
2 years $4.5M 118 19.34%
2 years $4M 55 9.02%
3 years $9M 53 8.69%
3 years $8.25M 47 7.70%
3 years $7.5M 54 8.85%
3 years $6.75M 30 4.92%
3 years $6M 10 1.64%
1 year deal 8 1.31%
Long Term deal 34 5.57%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #281
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Options ...

1. Saddle top line with Brouwer - Ferland goes to Bennett
2. Break up 3M line by flipping Bennett and Backlund
3. Break up 3M line by dropping Tkachuk to the Bennett line
4. One of Foo, Jankowski or Lazar are able to fit with Bennett

and the sexy one ...

5. Sign Jagr, put him with the top line and Ferland goes to the Bennett line, Brouwer the fourth line.

Adding another player essentially writes Brouwer off though, as he won't "recover" with fourth line minutes.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #282
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
*TOI Comparison*
Great post, and if I'm Sam Bennett's agent... I want to know how the Flames plan on addressing this before I negotiate any new contract with the team.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #283
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Options ...
lots of other ones if you move Bennett to wing and have Janko as 3rd line C, this is my fav:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Janko - Ferland

as the top 9
home_sweet_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to home_sweet_dome For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #284
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_sweet_dome View Post
lots of other ones if you move Bennett to wing and have Janko as 3rd line C, this is my fav:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Janko - Ferland

as the top 9
Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Jankowski - Ferland
Stajan - Lazar - Brouwer
Familton / Hathaway / Foo / Klimchuk / Shinkaruk

Super deep
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #285
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that Bennett will really improve his offensive numbers this year, partly because I think he has gained Gulutzan's trust over the year (his defensive acumen has sharply increased I thought), as well as the Flames' depth this year.

I liked what Chiasson brought, and thought he was a bargain contract, but he had limited upside. He really is a 4th liner, perhaps a third liner. Either way, that is not the type of player I feel that Bennett can really work with.

This year, I think the Flames have a lot of options:

1) Crazy thought, but Gaudreau and Monahan may look good separated. I like how Monahan becomes more involved and starts to push the pace more without Gaudreau. Versteeg - Monahan I felt was a good combination, and playing with Versteeg is when I thought Monahan started turning his season around. Gaudreau and Bennett might look great if given some time to gel.

2) Versteeg. I must say, I had my doubts about Versteeg when the Flames signed him last season. I really believed that it was a signing without much risk due to his cap hit. However, he really surprised me as to how much game he really had, and how effectively he worked with many players. I think he will work well with Bennett.

3) Ferland. He was great on the 1st line, and I feel that is where he will be long-term. I really do believe that he has much more to offer than what we have seen. His consistency is getting to the point where it isn't crazy to think of him as a good solution for the top line. Anyone think it is outrageous he puts in 20 goals this year? I would prefer to keep him up as the #1 RW for now, but I also think that Ferland would look great next to Bennett. They would terrorize defencemen on the forecheck, that's for sure, and would create so much off the cycle or off the rush.

4) Lazar. He has NHL experience, and he plays at Bennett's pace. I really do believe that Bennett could really benefit from playing with someone that can skate like he does. I am betting that Lazar works his way up the line-up this season, and starts making people believe that he is not just a grinder.

5) Jankowski. This is the guy that many people think will supplant Bennett at center. I am good either way - let the best center be the center. I just think that at this point, Bennett should be considered the center for the 3rd line. Flames have already invested a lot of time and patience there, and he has become miles better defensively. Actually, I think Bennett is way better in all 3 zones without the puck. Jankowski has good wheels, great IQ, really great vision/playmaking ability, and has very solid puck-possession with his frame and the way he uses his stick.

6) Foo. I don't think he starts the year in the NHL, but Foo is another guy that can play at Bennett's pace. I think they would work well with one another once he gets his look at the NHL level. He is talented, fast, good at playmaking, plays gritty, and can make stuff happen at high speed (the key ingredient missing in Lombardi's game back in the day).

7) Poirier. Like Foo, Poirier is probably not going to start the season in the NHL. Now that he is 'clean', I do expect a huge bounce-back. People are down on him at the moment, but the entire organization was very high on him before, and he had that 'can't miss' trajectory. AHL All-Star in his rookie pro year. He is fast, tenacious, talented and plays that abrasive way like Bennett does. They compliment on another exceedingly well I think. We have to see how Poirier does this season, but I do bet that he earns a long look in the NHL, and I hope he gets tried-out with Bennett.

8) Tkachuk. A lot of people want this to happen, and I can't say it would be a bad move at all. While I do think that Tkachuk has added a lot to the Backlund line, it has also been obvious that Backlund can make anyone effective. Career year for Bouma (as in entire hockey career all the way through junior!), career year for Colborne, best PPG (IIRC) for Bennett as well. Heck, I think a really good line would be to move Frolik back to the LW, and move Lazar up to the RW. Lazar is gritty and has that ability to force turnovers like Backlund and Frolik do, so that (IMO) would still be a hugely effective line. Tkachuk seems to compliment Bennett a lot in playstyle. He doesn't play at Bennett's pace, but he seemed to always catch the defencemen on the forecheck. I do agree that they would probably look good together, and it wouldn't be weakening the Backlund line too much (Backlund is that good, and Frolik isn't far behind!).

9) Brouwer. Hey, I do think he will have a bounce-back year. I just rather it not be with Bennett. Unlike Tkachuk, he just didn't seem able to forecheck well, or play at a high enough pace. I don't know where to fit Brouwer in at this point, as he doesn't seem to fit any of the lines other than the 4th, and playing off the 4th line isn't going to create a bounce-back. One of the more interesting story lines to follow this year.

Someone posted a link to a Hockey Writer's article about Bennett. I really do think the writer made some valid points, but I also think there were a few big whiffs. For instance, Calgary doesn't use the 3rd line as a checking line. The checking line is Backlund's line. That line just happened to score like a good 2nd line does, that's all. The third line throughout this rebuild thus far - starting under Hartley and seemingly continuing under Gulutzan - I would call the sheltered/development line. I think that is the place for Jankowski, Foo, Poirier, etc., to get their ears wet, and play with Bennett to see if chemistry develops. Hartley had Baertschi - Monahan together, and Monahan really did well (and Baertschi should have had he ever bought-in). With how deep Calgary's defence is now, it also mitigates defensive deficiencies. I think Bennett has greatly improved defensively, and having Versteeg on one side makes it easy to just slot in Jankowski/Foo/Poirier.

I like the Jagr option, however. Jagr I feel could be a great fit either on the 1st line with Monahan and Gaudreau, or on the third line with Bennett and either Versteeg or Jankowski.

Either way, I think it is safe to say that Bennett will see improved line-mates. Maybe they are a bit raw, but they will have more speed and will have more of the offensive acumen that I feel Bennett has lacked in previous line mates.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #286
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Great post, and if I'm Sam Bennett's agent... I want to know how the Flames plan on addressing this before I negotiate any new contract with the team.
This to me means he won't accept any maybe wingers. He wants to play centre with someone established such as Tkachuk.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #287
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
This to me means he won't accept any maybe wingers. He wants to play centre with someone established such as Tkachuk.
How can he not accept "maybe" wingers? I guess the negotiation would be more of a handshake promise from the Flames that they will improve his wingers if he signs... and if they don't? Bennett would likely request a trade at some point... I'd think if this was a big issue for Bennett's camp they are likely looking at a shorter term contract, see how it plays out in terms of quality minutes he gets and then jump ship if things don't work out.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #288
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
How can he not accept "maybe" wingers? I guess the negotiation would be more of a handshake promise from the Flames that they will improve his wingers if he signs... and if they don't? Bennett would likely request a trade at some point... I'd think if this was a big issue for Bennett's camp they are likely looking at a shorter term contract, see how it plays out in terms of quality minutes he gets and then jump ship if things don't work out.
Yeah, I suspect that this is nonsense. Bennett doesn't have many options in this negotiation and is certainly not in any position to dictate to coaches players with whom he should be passing to on his wings. There may be some snags in the contract discussion, or it may simply be moving very slowly toward completion. In any event I can't imagine that he is absent from training camp in the Fall. I am still holding out hope that he signs a +3-year deal, but am also happy with the more realistic scenario that he comes in for two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #289
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah, I suspect that this is nonsense. Bennett doesn't have many options in this negotiation and is certainly not in any position to dictate to coaches players with whom he should be passing to on his wings. There may be some snags in the contract discussion, or it may simply be moving very slowly toward completion. In any event I can't imagine that he is absent from training camp in the Fall. I am still holding out hope that he signs a +3-year deal, but am also happy with the more realistic scenario that he comes in for two.
It's been discussed on this board for two years and Treliving has even discussed it and you don't think Bennett and his agent aren't concerned about it. If I was Bennett, I'd be bringing the topic up and wanting to know the plans about it before I agreed to a contract.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #290
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think an agent has to bring up who's he's played with as a factor in his production.

It's in their best interest to do so, and it's largely true!

The Flames certainly have every right to bring him along slowly, and they do have his best interest at heart in trying to develop him into a top six center (bigger future payday).

As I said above though it's really tough on a team with Monahan and a surging Backlund. They have to muck something up to get Sam out of jail, or throw Brouwer to the wolves for three years.

I do lean to finding three lines with some balance this season though, I think that would make the Flames a very tough team to defend; three lines that you have to watch and essentially three defense pairings that won't give you a shift off.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 09:26 AM   #291
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Excellent analysis
Bingo, obviously a TON more work, but did you do the same analysis on each player's opposition? I suspect while Draisaitl had far superior teammates, he also faced tougher opponents, albeit to a lesser magnitude.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #292
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Based on the premise of your data, it is clear that if the flames want Bennett to grow and flourish offensively, they will have to either put Bennett on the wing or break up Monahan/gaudreau or Tkachuk/Backlund/Frolik.

Personally, I'd like to see tkatchuk/Bennett paired up with strong offensive opportunities (pp and offensive zone starts), even if that means sacrificing frolik/Backlund to see more defensive time (something they excel in anyways).
Yeah, Bennett came into the league and was probably placed into the most difficult position to produce compared to his peers and not to mention that he's the only top drafted centerman that is actually still playing down the middle of the ice. Nylander rode shotgun to Matthews. Ehlers to Schiefele. Draisaitl to Hall and then to McDavid. Pastrnak to Bergeron. Reinhart to Eichel. And Bennett to... Versteeg?

The Bennett vs. Draisaitl comparison is a funny one. In their draft seasons, Bennett was seen unanimously as the superior prospect

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-d...pect-rankings/

There are 13(!) different end-season rankings of the 2014 top prospects. Bennett tops Leon in every single one.

Draft+1 season: Bennett still being hampered by that shoulder is forced to miss nearly his entire season. Where as Draisaitl is gifted a spot on the roster out of camp after MacT called him Kopitar at the draft. Leon looks horrible and way in over his head and is forced back to juniors after 40 games. Bennett comes back for the final 10 games of his junior season and puts the Fronts on his back and wills them to the playoffs putting up over a 2ppg. Bennett impressed the Flames brass so much they decided to give him the call up for the final regular season game and the playoffs. In short, he was outstanding.

At the end of the 2015 season Bennett was once again seen as the superior prospect to his counterpart Draisaitl.

I'm not so sure it would be Draisaitl about to cash in on this big payday instead of Bennett if he was allowed to ride the coattails of two separate superstars in his following two seasons as opposed to sparse gifted minutes with Backlund, and then a heap with Brouwer, Chiasson, Engelland types.

All in all, Draisaitl certainly has surpassed Bennett, but as we've seen, their situations are far from static and I for one am not of the belief that Draisaitl is anything more than a product of his circumstances. I can't see reason why Bennett cannot swing back ahead in the near future.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #293
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...As I said above though it's really tough on a team with Monahan and a surging Backlund. They have to muck something up to get Sam out of jail, or throw Brouwer to the wolves for three years.

I do lean to finding three lines with some balance this season though, I think that would make the Flames a very tough team to defend; three lines that you have to watch and essentially three defense pairings that won't give you a shift off.
I tend to agree, but with the caveat that I also believe that Brouwer could be a competent contributor to an excellent top-nine. If he is better this year than he was last year, then by extension Bennett also stands to gain from this internal improvement either directly or indirectly.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #294
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Brouwer's only chance to rebound is to get some top nine ice time .. if they bury him he's done.

Catch22 as he certainly wasn't the best fit to help out the Sam Bennett's of the world last year.

Fingers crossed that he can find 75% of his pre 16-17 game. Would really give the team a boost.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #295
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
(pie chart)
Lucic isn't secondary. 50 points would be more points from a power forward than we have gotten since... basically 30 goal Bourque, Bertuzzi, or back when Iginla actually qualified as one. More Pie To Core For Drai!!!

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-16-2017 at 10:55 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #296
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Lucic isn't secondary. 50 points would be more points from a power forward than we have gotten since... basically 30 goal Bourque, Bertuzzi, or back when Iginla actually qualified as one. More Pie To Core For Drai!!!
Had that debate as well.

Thought I had to call one of Lucic or Maroon secondary.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #297
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Brouwer's only chance to rebound is to get some top nine ice time .. if they bury him he's done.

Catch22 as he certainly wasn't the best fit to help out the Sam Bennett's of the world last year.

Fingers crossed that he can find 75% of his pre 16-17 game. Would really give the team a boost.
Yes, if Brouwer cannot elevate himself above the fourth line, I agree, he is done. But as has been pointed out numerous times already on this board both he and Bennett were not half bad through the first two months of the season when they were paired primarily together. Brouwer's game clearly suffered after having returned from injury, and I think it is a reasonable expectation to project that in full health he will again approach his career average. He was on pace to enjoy a +35-point season before breaking his finger on 23 Dec.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #298
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, if Brouwer cannot elevate himself above the fourth line, I agree, he is done. But as has been pointed out numerous times already on this board both he and Bennett were not half bad through the first two months of the season when they were paired primarily together. Brouwer's game clearly suffered after having returned from injury, and I think it is a reasonable expectation to project that in full health he will again approach his career average. He was on pace to enjoy a +35-point season before breaking his finger on 23 Dec.
I'd feel so much better about his chances to rebound if he had owned his season at garbage bag day.

His "I did what I came here to do" (paraphrase) speech took all the spit out of my mouth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #299
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I'd feel so much better about his chances to rebound if he had owned his season at garbage bag day.

His "I did what I came here to do" (paraphrase) speech took all the spit out of my mouth.
Sure, I get that. But how much correlation should we draw between players' words and actions in the media and their performance on the ice? Brouwer has to be monumentally embarrassed by his performance last year—unquestionably the worst season of his entire professional hockey career. He didn't respond well publicly. But is this because he actually believes in his own rhetoric, or is his rhetoric a lame attempt to deflect the embarrassment?

It could be anything, and I don't put much stock into whether his statements made in public will affect his play on the ice several months after the fact.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #300
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, I get that. But how much correlation should we draw between players' words and actions in the media and their performance on the ice? Brouwer has to be monumentally embarrassed by his performance last year—unquestionably the worst season of his entire professional hockey career. He didn't respond well publicly. But is this because he actually believes in his own rhetoric, or is his rhetoric a lame attempt to deflect the embarrassment?

It could be anything, and I don't put much stock into whether his statements made in public will affect his play on the ice several months after the fact.
That's the big question.

I know a guy like Stajan felt he lost a step at the end of the 2015-16 season and got in the best shape of his life for last season. It was noticeable.

Brouwer needs to do the same.