Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #501
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Ricardo, let me see if I can wrap my head around what you're saying.

You think Monahan and Gaudreau should, wait for it, hold out because they're being forced to play with the clearly unsuitable Michael Ferland, a guy who scored at nearly a .5 P/GP pace with them to close out the year? You think they should hold out over that?

Are you serious?
No they shouldn't hold out .... but they do need a better RW
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #502
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
It is not a coincidence that Monahan and Gaudreau have left the elite of the league at around the same time Hudler ran out of gas. Gaudreau and Monahan should hold out until they get at least Versteeg put on their line.
I mean, you said it yourself.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #503
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I mean, you said it yourself.
Yeah you got me there ... I was using hyperbole to make a point.

We should all hold our breath until the City pays for a new arena.

Please don't take me literally and start now.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #504
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I hope GG puts Dougie Hamilton on the right side of Gaudreau and Monahan just to see the melt down from you ricardodw.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #505
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Personally I hope GG puts Dougie Hamilton on the right side of Gaudreau and Monahan just to see the melt down from you ricardodw.
That would be a great move. Simplifies the game for Mr. Hamilton. It would likely make all 3 close to a ppg.

Meanwhile the Flames top-4 defense would be a lot better in their own zone and help out the Goalie and goals against.

And I post this in response to your bringing Hamilton into the discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #506
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
If training camp lines are any indication it would seem the coaches are hopeful of:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Foo
Lazar-Jankowski-Brouwer
I think this is the way it will shake out and if Poirier gets it together all of a sudden then you will see Versteeg and Poirier shuffling. Heaven help us if Mangiapane also steps up! Then what!

I hope for the above lineup and expect it to be the case if not immediately then at some point before Xmas
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #507
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Looking at the line ups being presented it has become somewhat apparent that there is a cost to paying 5 D that are each good enough to play 20 minutes a game.

The Flames are left with exactly 6 players that deserve to play on their top 3 lines:
Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik and Bennett and would play on the top 9 of any NHL team.

Gaudreau-Monahan- 4th liner
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
4th liner- Bennett- Versteeg

They also have Versteeg who has shown enough last year after his PTO to stretch his career another year.

They have 2 aging veterans Brouwer and Stajan playing out the string that are most suited to 4th line duty.

They have 2 two prospects Jankowski and Foo with no NHL experience who at ages 23 and 24 are well past the age that most players with the ability to play top 9 minutes have broken into the NHL.

The rest (using Bouma and Chaisson who were not good enough to be anything but 4 line energy guys and injury replacements) are really not expected to be top 9 players.

Ferland - He gets to play with Monahan and Gaudreau? Because he played great in a beating Vancouver in a playoff series 3 years ago. It is not a coincidence that Monahan and Gaudreau have left the elite of the league at around the same time Hudler ran out of gas. Gaudreau and Monahan should hold out until they get at least Versteeg put on their line. But then taking Versteeg away from Bennett leaves Bennett playing on a line with the equivalent of Bouma and Chaisson. Good luck with that.

Lazar was not talented enough in Ottawa to get 4th line minutes a few months ago.
Hathaway, Hamilton ... really working their way up to the Bouma Chaisson level.

Jankowski should get a spot guaranteed on this team as maybe he has top-9 potential

Have him centering the 4th line with Brouwer and Stajan as his line mates. All three of these guys at various times have been the great hopes for the Flames.
re ferland: How did Johnny and Sean play once Ferland was added to their line again?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #508
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
re ferland: How did Johnny and Sean play once Ferland was added to their line again?
even strength goals assists and points over the last 4 games 0-0-0 -4

The Flames don't come close to having a chance with the big boys when their top line can be totally shut down.

Counting the PP Ferland had 15 SOG , Monahan had 9 and Gaudreau had 8. You think the Ducks might be forcing the puck to the weakest link?

If Dougie Hamilton had 15 shots on goal playing on that line chances he would have gotten a couple of even strength goals and/or the Ducks defense would have had to respect him and the Flames 2 best scorers would have had a few more chances?

Ps. Maybe I am bitter because I had bet $ on the Flames doing well in the playoffs and there was so little hope.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #509
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok nice cherry picking there but how about the season. Once Ferland joined their line, how many points did Johnny and Mony get for the rest of the season?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #510
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Ok nice cherry picking there but how about the season. Once Ferland joined their line, how many points did Johnny and Mony get for the rest of the season?
For the last 30 games of the season Gaudreau had 5 even strength goals, Monahan had 7. Ferland as a 4th line talent did not play on the PP with them

In Monahan's scoring log (58pts) he either assisted or was assisted by Ferland or Ferland and him both assisted someone else's goal a total of 5 times. None off his 5 playoff points.

In Gaudreau's scoring log (61 entries) Ferland shared a scoring line with Gaudreau 8 times.

You can take the 4th liner off the 4th line but you can't take the 4th liner out of the player.

You honestly think that the top line wouldn't be significantly better, perhaps dominating, with any other of the top skilled players on RW?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #511
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Except Ferland isn't a 4th liner you troll

Have you even watched him play? Your views are so out of touch with reality
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #512
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Flames

Ricardo, are you an Oiler, Canuck or TO fan? I know you try to make out you are a Flames fan, but he majority on this board know that is not the case. Ferland is the right person to play with Monahan and Gaudreau and should also be added to the pp with them. Johny can play his game with Ferly on the ice and not have to worry about repeated slashes to his hands and arms. Also Ferly has the speed and adds toughness and a hard shot to the line.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #513
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
Ricardo, are you an Oiler, Canuck or TO fan? I know you try to make out you are a Flames fan, but he majority on this board know that is not the case. Ferland is the right person to play with Monahan and Gaudreau and should also be added to the pp with them. Johny can play his game with Ferly on the ice and not have to worry about repeated slashes to his hands and arms. Also Ferly has the speed and adds toughness and a hard shot to the line.
This will not be the deterrent you expect it to be.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #514
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
Over the years Winnipeg seems to be the team he points to the most as the "correct way" to do things and Winnipeg disses tend to get him curiously defensive.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #515
amazing_oilers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames D is near the top of the league but the forwards really bring this team down. They should be looking at moving a Dman for Duchene. Adding someone like that would really make a difference imo.
amazing_oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #516
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_oilers View Post
Flames D is near the top of the league but the forwards really bring this team down. They should be looking at moving a Dman for Duchene. Adding someone like that would really make a difference imo.
We don't need Duchene.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #517
amazing_oilers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
We don't need Duchene.
Why? He'd be a legit #1 and then you'd have a solid 2nd and 3rd line C.
amazing_oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #518
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monahan is a better 1C than Duchene.

Would give them a better top 6 than yesterday but Jagr put up better numbers last season and the Flames could sign him without giving up anything.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #519
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_oilers View Post
Why? He'd be a legit #1 and then you'd have a solid 2nd and 3rd line C.
Duchene would be behind Monahan and Backlund. And Bennett is already centering the 3rd line. So do I pay for Duchene to upgrade my 3rd line C or keep Bennett and pay nothing in assets? Pretty self-explanatory. Duchene does not help this team, even if he does play top 6 wing minutes. I don't see him as a guy that would stay in Calgary after 2 years. Even if he did, we've got to re-sign Tkachuk and Bennett. Duchene is just not in the plans.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #520
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Duchene would be behind Monahan and Backlund. And Bennett is already centering the 3rd line. So do I pay for Duchene to upgrade my 3rd line C or keep Bennett and pay nothing in assets? Pretty self-explanatory. Duchene does not help this team, even if he does play top 6 wing minutes. I don't see him as a guy that would stay in Calgary after 2 years. Even if he did, we've got to re-sign Tkachuk and Bennett. Duchene is just not in the plans.
In two years we have to sign Bennett, Tkqchuck, Ferklund, and Lazaar. Could be tight.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
too soon?