Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #81
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if the same thing will happen today, but I believe walmart released a bunch on their website about a week ago, they sold out in minutes, but then another batch went up about 10 minutes later.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #82
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have given up. I can no longer be bothered attempting to refresh web sites for hours trying to get one of these.

The money I would have spent went towards a PS4 game and a gift for my wife. Sorry Nintendo you had a chance to take my money and failed.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #83
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I seriously do not understand the strategy here....Who does nintendo want to get this thing in the hands of? The impulse buyer cannot see them, so will never buy one. The casual buyer is not going to refresh websites for hours. That leaves the hardcore 30 year olds that want one for nostalgia sake and scalpers. So now you have a pissed off group because they can't get one, at the mercy of scalpers. Great way to generate negative buzz.

Guess nintendo is now banking on post-holiday hype, but I think it may backfire. Of the first two groups I mentioned, are they even going to care in January after the holidays?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #84
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't get it either.

The building hype by limiting supply thing was only going to work if they got the inventory to a good place prior to christmas so the impulse, casual buyers could still grab one while feeling like it was still "limited" and "hard to get".

If they wait until January/February to stock these things in mass then they are going to miss the boat.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #85
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I really wanted one for Christmas but there is no way that I am going to sit on websites hoping that I luck out and find one for the minute and a half they are available. Even more so there is no way that I am going to pay 5x the price of a scalper.
Now I will just wait until the new year and pick one up. I already thought that $80 was a little steep but it will be fun and there are quite a few games that I want to play again. I already have an NES at home but some games that I want are close to the price of this system alone.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #86
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

FYI
https://www.zoolert.com/ca/videogame...-classic-mini/
It looks like if you leave the page open it will make a noise when they are in stock.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #87
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I built myself a Raspberry Pi based emulator that lets me run Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64 and Playstation games. I'm working on getting USB based controllers for each one as well.

Debating selling these machines if there is any demand.
+1

Congrats Nintendo, you played yourself.

Just ordered the Starter Kit from Canakit through Amazon.ca (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

So instead of 30 games, I'll have a bazillion. (Of course, to avoid running afoul of IP law, I will only be downloading the ROMs of the games that I already own. To do otherwise would be nefarious.)
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #88
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
+1

Congrats Nintendo, you played yourself.

Just ordered the Starter Kit from Canakit through Amazon.ca (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

So instead of 30 games, I'll have a bazillion. (Of course, to avoid running afoul of IP law, I will only be downloading the ROMs of the games that I already own. To do otherwise would be nefarious.)
Good choice, it's a good kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #89
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I wonder how much Raspberry Pi sales have increased since the NES Classic released?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #90
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Managed to grab one today. Was browsing the Amazon app and it showed in stock. Did the one click purchase thing and got the confirmation 5 minutes later.

I know this probably doesn't help too much, but at least we know they're being restocked still.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #91
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I built myself a Raspberry Pi based emulator that lets me run Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64 and Playstation games. I'm working on getting USB based controllers for each one as well.

Best buy sells Bluetooth NES (and SNES) classic controllers.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...1e8793aab2en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...1c8e232048en02
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #92
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I did this as well, months ago. While its nice in theory, it really is overall frustrating to use. I had hoped for a better overall experience but if you do your research, there is a ton of issues with emulating, with the biggest one being latency between the controller inputs and the game. Its obvious enough that it is difficult to play games, its not instantaneous (albeit milliseconds), and there has been no way that the emulator programmers have been able to eliminate it.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #93
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I did this as well, months ago. While its nice in theory, it really is overall frustrating to use. I had hoped for a better overall experience but if you do your research, there is a ton of issues with emulating, with the biggest one being latency between the controller inputs and the game. Its obvious enough that it is difficult to play games, its not instantaneous (albeit milliseconds), and there has been no way that the emulator programmers have been able to eliminate it.
Hmm I am not having real latency issues at all on mine
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #94
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably your TV then?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #95
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Probably your TV then?
Nope, multiple TV's, obviously more prevalent in some games than others, and widely reported, regardless of emulation engine used. Some are better than others, but none are perfect. You can retrain your muscle memory to include the slight delay, but its deep rooted from the original system that your brain expects a certain result when pressing buttons
Old 12-16-2016, 12:43 AM   #96
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm still crunching the exact numbers, but I think I can sell the Pi already setup and ready to go, with a case and power cord and 2 generic controllers for $90. If you wanted specific controllers (NES,SNES,etc) I'd need to order those custom from my supplier at an additional cost.

I also can't include any preloaded ROMs (games), so you'd need to find these online yourself, which is pretty easy.
Any update on this? I'm also interested
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #97
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
Any update on this? I'm also interested
https://www.amazon.ca/LANDZO-Raspber...berry+pi+3+kit

https://www.amazon.ca/Buffalo-Classi...sb+controllers

http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_E...System_ROMs/13 <--- or just google game ROMS, theres literally hundreds of ROM directories

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki

ANNNDD because Kodi can launch out of retropie too, you best add this (plus set up a trakt.tv account, real-debrid, and just use Exodus)

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/KODI

Literally takes 30 minutes to be up and running , you learn some stuff, and you get good controllers

And maybe I'll retry my retropie with my new M series Vizio which is supposed to be super low latency, I can kill it on Xbox on it...

Last edited by Aleks; 12-16-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aleks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #98
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'm building a Raspberry Pi NES and SNES Emulation box. Going to write code to switch between two emulators with a front-end UI.

Thinking about mounting it somehow in an old Nintendo though, that will be a bit of a challenge.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #99
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'm building a Raspberry Pi NES and SNES Emulation box. Going to write code to switch between two emulators with a front-end UI.

Thinking about mounting it somehow in an old Nintendo though, that will be a bit of a challenge.
It may actually be easier than you think. Google turn your NES into a PC.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #100
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

Retropie?
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote