Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2024, 09:07 AM   #1
spotthefan
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Solidarity with Sask Teachers

Niche, perhaps. But want to jump on and say to any possible Sask Teachers on here that I and others in Alberta stand in solidarity with you right now as you push through perhaps the most difficult part of the job action, cancelling extra curricular events that are widely popular.

And for Alberta, take note. It is coming.

Edit:

For clarity for anyone who is unaware. There is a currently labour conflict betweent he Sask Teachers Federation and the Sask government. Teachers was class size and complexity negotiated into the contract and government doesn't.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...dget-1.7149219

Last edited by spotthefan; 03-20-2024 at 09:41 AM.
spotthefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spotthefan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 09:45 AM   #2
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Given the number of Roughrider fans, more teachers in Sask are def needed.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 10:27 AM   #3
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Kind of blows me away that the Sask teachers are striking because they want fewer students in their classes.

Like their grievance is they want to be more effective teachers, and they can't do that with so many kids.

Looking at my kids classes here in Calgary and they are 28-31 kids. It's a lot of rowdy kids and education must be compromised with such large class sizes.

Seems really easy for a government to agree to cap class sizes, I don't get why they are resisting?
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 10:30 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
Kind of blows me away that the Sask teachers are striking because they want fewer students in their classes.

Like their grievance is they want to be more effective teachers, and they can't do that with so many kids.

Looking at my kids classes here in Calgary and they are 28-31 kids. It's a lot of rowdy kids and education must be compromised with such large class sizes.

Seems really easy for a government to agree to cap class sizes, I don't get why they are resisting?
Smaller classes means you need more class rooms, more teachers, more general staff, more costs. You can't keep corporate taxes low if you do that, which means you can't keep your buddies happy who reward you.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:39 AM   #5
spotthefan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Smaller classes means you need more class rooms, more teachers, more general staff, more costs. You can't keep corporate taxes low if you do that, which means you can't keep your buddies happy who reward you.
Exactly. The government even tried to say "look we put the funding in the budget, get back to work."

Until next year when they slash it again.
The Following User Says Thank You to spotthefan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 10:41 AM   #6
spotthefan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

Very right.

I wrote my (UCP) MLA today because I have a concern about teacher shortages...but no body is talking about it outside of schools.

Teachers are choosing to leave teaching rather than deal with high class sizes and, frankly, a drastic amount of kids mostly aged 10+ that have behavioural and mental struggles.

On a daily basis we are short 1-2 teachers with no subs. It means others in the building are covering, if possible. This means no admin to lead the school or no PE or no fine arts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spotthefan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 11:12 AM   #7
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotthefan View Post
Very right.

I wrote my (UCP) MLA today because I have a concern about teacher shortages...but no body is talking about it outside of schools.

Teachers are choosing to leave teaching rather than deal with high class sizes and, frankly, a drastic amount of kids mostly aged 10+ that have behavioural and mental struggles.

On a daily basis we are short 1-2 teachers with no subs. It means others in the building are covering, if possible. This means no admin to lead the school or no PE or no fine arts.
Yeah this is exactly what my (now recently former) teacher buddy and his wife were saying when I saw them over Christmas. Sounds like teacher shortages are an issue coast to coast, very concerning. I'd imagine teachers having to give up prep time covering for a class with no sub is also contributing to teacher burnout. It's just making it worse.

They've both since left the profession, my buddy has an office job now (loosely related to his degree) and seems so much happier, said he has no work stress anymore. He was such a grump when he was still teaching.

I think when people hear about teacher strikes, they just assume it's about money and roll their eyes. From what I can see, they get paid fairly well, I doubt that's the issue. Sounds more like large class sizes / extra admin work through new policies contributing to burnout (yes yes, outside of July/Aug of course). Said they had around 40 students / class by the end (high school). I don't think people realize how bad it's gotten.

Last edited by Sainters7; 03-20-2024 at 11:15 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 11:25 AM   #8
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah this is exactly what my (now recently former) teacher buddy and his wife were saying when I saw them over Christmas. Sounds like teacher shortages are an issue coast to coast, very concerning. I'd imagine teachers having to give up prep time covering for a class with no sub is also contributing to teacher burnout. It's just making it worse.

They've both since left the profession, my buddy has an office job now (loosely related to his degree) and seems so much happier, said he has no work stress anymore. He was such a grump when he was still teaching.

I think when people hear about teacher strikes, they just assume it's about money and roll their eyes. From what I can see, they get paid fairly well, I doubt that's the issue. Sounds more like large class sizes / extra admin work through new policies contributing to burnout (yes yes, outside of July/Aug of course). Said they had around 40 students / class by the end (high school). I don't think people realize how bad it's gotten.
There are massive shortages in many public industries. We don't have enough GPs, nurses, teachers, judges, paramedics, etc... and things aren't much better in the private sector.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 11:51 AM   #9
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There are massive shortages in many public industries. We don't have enough GPs, nurses, teachers, judges, paramedics, etc... and things aren't much better in the private sector.
In the private medical, educational and judiciary?

Things seem to be far better. I'm not sure about shortages, but there have been anecdotes in other threads of nurses leaving front line AHS jobs for double the pay and half the work at private clinics...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:56 AM   #10
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my grade 12 year they striked in calgary with extra-curricular so there was no football, etc :/
Then in the spring term there was soccer and I totally missed out on registering. Played a lot of hacky sack though!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:02 PM   #11
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
In the private medical, educational and judiciary?

Things seem to be far better. I'm not sure about shortages, but there have been anecdotes in other threads of nurses leaving front line AHS jobs for double the pay and half the work at private clinics...
Public bodies are being forced to pay nurses more. Due to shortages, they are forced to offer existing nurses overtime. Some have figured out how to game that system. If done properly, you can work, for example, only call shifts that automatically pay overtime. And private clinics, both locally and in the USA are poaching Canadian nurses with higher salaries.

You can definitely make a mint right now as a nurse. If you need medical treatment in Canada, that's a different story.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 12:06 PM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If only someone had warned us allowing more private care in Canada would worsen the public system...the good news is that our tax dollars still pay them. I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 12:18 PM   #13
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If only someone had warned us allowing more private care in Canada would worsen the public system...the good news is that our tax dollars still pay them. I guess.
It’s pretty remarkable how simple everything is for you. Every issue just seems so easy / straightforward with only one right answer.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 12:22 PM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
It’s pretty remarkable how simple everything is for you. Every issue just seems so easy / straightforward with only one right answer.
Well when warnings and experts are ignored for decades, then exactly what they warn us about happens, it's called connecting the dots. Sorry that's so complicated. There may not only be one right answer, but there are clearly wrong ones. You know, things you hire experts to write reports for so you can presumably avoid them. And yet, here we are. Again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 12:24 PM   #15
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Public bodies are being forced to pay nurses more. Due to shortages, they are forced to offer existing nurses overtime. Some have figured out how to game that system. If done properly, you can work, for example, only call shifts that automatically pay overtime. And private clinics, both locally and in the USA are poaching Canadian nurses with higher salaries.

You can definitely make a mint right now as a nurse. If you need medical treatment in Canada, that's a different story.
Right... I was mostly just poking at your post 1) green text for judges in the private sector (though I suppose those qualified to be a judge may have better opportunities at a law firm) and 2) you said "things aren't much better in the private sector.", which they clearly seem to be, across the board... Nurses, doctors, teachers... working less for the same (or in some cases, significantly better) pay.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:39 PM   #16
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

lol. Those were the class sizes (even up to 35) through the early 80s and 90s when I was in school. Every single teacher in Canada knew those were the class sizes before their first day in the education program at university because they went through school with those exact class sizes.

The government is resisting class size reductions because of all the additional costs associated with reducing them. You'd need more buildings, more staff, etc. Plus, this works. Always has and always will.

As for kids' mental health issues, those have always been there, but we just have names for a bunch of them now that we didn't used to have. People haven't changed.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 12:40 PM   #17
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Question:

When have classrooms not had 28-31 kids. This was the norm for me when I went to school 20 plus years ago. I don't think its ever changed? Nor has teachers threatening "cancelling of extra curricular activities" as leverage to get what they really want.

Same old song and dance.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 12:41 PM   #18
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seem to remember low 20s being the norm for me going to school (90s, 00s) but most of that wasn't in Calgary I guess
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:48 PM   #19
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Question:

When have classrooms not had 28-31 kids. This was the norm for me when I went to school 20 plus years ago. I don't think its ever changed? Nor has teachers threatening "cancelling of extra curricular activities" as leverage to get what they really want.

Same old song and dance.
From how I remember school, 30 kids per classroom would have been pretty decent.

Most of the time we had more.

The bigger issue I see as someone with family members who are teachers is how disrespectful, rude and loud kids are, and if there are no rules in place for phone usage, that is a big problem as well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 01:01 PM   #20
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I seem to remember low 20s being the norm for me going to school (90s, 00s) but most of that wasn't in Calgary I guess
Where would that be? I’m same timeline, not in Calgary, and was always 28+. Small town?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote