Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2023, 05:15 PM   #161
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question would have to be asked though if they would want to own a franchise in a small Canadian market or if they would want to move it somewhere else with a larger African American population. With the rumours about Atlanta and Houston always being a potential I wouldn't be surprised if this ownership group would be looking more at a buy and relocate them. Local ownership seems to be what keeps teams in Canada.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:19 PM   #162
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
The question would have to be asked though if they would want to own a franchise in a small Canadian market or if they would want to move it somewhere else with a larger African American population. With the rumours about Atlanta and Houston always being a potential I wouldn't be surprised if this ownership group would be looking more at a buy and relocate them. Local ownership seems to be what keeps teams in Canada.

I don't think they can. Bettman has last say on this stuff. It's a good question but I don't think they'd move it there. I think for those two sites they'd want that expansion fee money, rather than a move there.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:37 PM   #163
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I don't think they can. Bettman has last say on this stuff. It's a good question but I don't think they'd move it there. I think for those two sites they'd want that expansion fee money, rather than a move there.
I am not familiar with NHL governance policies, but on something this big, Bettman wouldn’t have the last say. I am pretty sure these proposals go the Board of Governors for discussion, approval and general vote. And each team ownership discusses it internally prior to rendering their opinion and vote when the matter is presented. Also, it is common for the Commissioner to approach and check the “mood” with each owner individually before making these recommendations.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 05:49 PM   #164
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Snoop wants a hockey team Edwards should sell ASAP. Cmon Snoop! Snoop a loop!
Old 05-01-2023, 06:20 PM   #165
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Captain, you're probably right (quoting not working right now). I was more basing my comment on the years of push from Bettman that the team simply will not move. So he probably has the power unofficially, but probably goes to the board officially.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:00 PM   #166
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Why are we suggesting Snoop would want to move the Senators to an area with a larger population of Black people?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 07:40 PM   #167
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why are we suggesting Snoop would want to move the Senators to an area with a larger population of Black people?
Because the Flames missed the playoffs.

In addition this is at the same time the Oilers fandom is broadcasting to the hockey world what a bottomless insufferable insecure bounty of suck they truly are.

Even when they win they are brainless hard done-by losers.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:43 PM   #168
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snoop Dogg?? Let’s hope he doesn’t drop it like it’s hot.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:40 AM   #169
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when Snoop did a series of videos called "Dogg Cherry" where he hilariously explained the rules of hockey to new fans?

God, Snoop is awesome.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 09:52 AM   #170
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

The team is not moving. The new owners stand to make massive $$$ on real estate development plays around both the new downtown arena, and the land in Kanata where the Canadian Tire Centre & its parking lots currently sit. Hence why Reynolds has partnered with a real estate mogul, Christopher Bratty, who is also a known commodity to the NHL (he was involved in the discussions about a second GTA team like 10 years ago).

The Neko Sparks group had the highest bid in the opening round and even though it's a Hollywood bid, it hasn't generated the sizzle of Reynolds and co. Bringing Snoop aboard feels like a hail mary to generate buzz to compete in the next round. This group is probably the least familiar to the NHL and, as far as I can tell, does not have experience in pro sports ownership. It is by far the most diverse ownership group.

The Andlauer group is a known commodity to the NHL as Andlauer is minority owner of the Habs. He has paid his dues and waited patiently for the chance to get his own team. I think their group also brings real estate development chops. They were first to work with local investors to create a minority ownership stake. But they don't bring the star power and media spotlight of Reynolds.

Ultimately, I think the Reynolds bid is the only one that checks all the boxes: $1B bid, star power and massive marketing opportunities for the league, real estate development chops, experience in pro sports ownership, favour of the NHL brass, support of the fan base. Bringing KZA first nation into the fold in some capacity, as well as Jed York's local investment group, are the last two puzzle pieces. Those seem to now be in place, or are at least close.

I'm speculating, but I would guess a provisional deal with Reynolds and Remington gets announced this week or early next. If Andlauer outbids them by ~10-15%, that probably puts his bid over the top. I think Sparks and Snoop would have to be the highest bid by 20% or more.

Last edited by liamenator; 05-02-2023 at 12:51 PM.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liamenator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 10:01 AM   #171
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read through the Athletic article and it sounds like Snoop wants to put in a personal marketing effort to minorities and POC, as well as make hockey accessible to lower income families. That's going to be a huge selling feature. The Snoop inclusion adds more sizzle than Reynolds does.

Your move, Reynolds Group.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:08 AM   #172
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I read through the Athletic article and it sounds like Snoop wants to put in a personal marketing effort to minorities and POC, as well as make hockey accessible to lower income families. That's going to be a huge selling feature. The Snoop inclusion adds more sizzle than Reynolds does.

It's definitely a smart play and something the NHL should be all over. But it's coming pretty late in the game, maybe too late. I wonder if Reynolds & Remington have talked with Sparks about bringing the two bids together. That's what I'd be trying to do.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:10 AM   #173
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It's not hard to imagine an ownership group with both Reynolds and Snoop actively marketing their team turning the Senators into one of the most popular franchises in the league.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 10:23 AM   #174
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snoop is a really good promoter and he has built a really good business team around himself. The league also recruited him in the past to promote the NHL, so maybe not that surprising that he wants to get involved at a higher level.

OT, but I remember back in the early 2000s, Snoop was in Vancouver shooting a video and I think doing some recording. He ended up buying a condo and staying for a while after. It wasn't uncommon to see him hanging out on patios and chatting with people. I caught a glimpse of him at the Cambie just hanging out with some fans.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:24 AM   #175
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know about that.
There is no bigger worldwide sizzle than Wrexham. I think the league wants in on the Reynolds effect.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:40 AM   #176
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Debatable. I think Snoop Dogg is a bigger star globally and domestically than Ryan Reynolds is.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:34 PM   #177
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Reynolds Group has reached out to First Nations to involve them which is what they wanted and seeing how they have a legal claim to the land the Sens want to build a new arena on they should have the upper hand.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:38 PM   #178
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The Reynolds Group has reached out to First Nations to involve them which is what they wanted and seeing how they have a legal claim to the land the Sens want to build a new arena on they should have the upper hand.

Where did you see this? I haven't seen it reported anywhere.

EDIT: Ah, I see it was in The Athletic piece by Mendes

Last edited by liamenator; 05-02-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:46 PM   #179
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
Where did you see this? I haven't seen it reported anywhere.
It was reported in The Athletic article I posted a link to a page back.

Quote:
To date, Whiteduck says only one potential group of Ottawa Senators owners has been in contact with him. That correspondence occurred within the past few days, when a representative connected to the bid with Ryan Reynolds and the Remington Group reached out to Whiteduck to try and set up an initial meeting.

“They are taking the right step,” Whiteduck says of the Reynolds and Remington bid. “Whoever is trying to buy the Senators, we should be included.”
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 08:43 PM   #180
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, apparently Snoop and the Weeknd are now also potential buyers.

I would love to see Snoop as an NHL owner. He's a smart guy, and would be a very different addition to the NHL owners club. I wonder if he would introduce edibles at the games.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote