Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2023, 08:32 AM   #141
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, Reynolds' group would definitely be the most fun. It's probably down to them against the Andlauer group, very much a new school vs. old school contest.

Garricoh outlines that Andlauer has smartly been working to involve a group of local investors through Jed York. Those are influential local voices, and Andlauer seems to carry a lot of favour with the NHL. That sets his group up well. On the other hand, Reynolds brings way more sizzle and spotlight. If he can get York et al. on board, probably the chance for the NHL to tap into his exposure will put Reynolds over the top.

But, really, who knows. Ranadivé could come in with an astronomical bid at the last minute. Or Sparks, whose group I was surprised to see had the highest bid in the first round.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:33 AM   #142
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think nothing bad can come of Reynolds being involved with the league. Must be pretty exciting times for Senators fans.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:38 AM   #143
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I work with a Sens fan and it reminds me a lot of being a Flames fan in some regards.

His feeling is basically nothing good can happen without something bad right behind it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:44 AM   #144
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I work with a Sens fan and it reminds me a lot of being a Flames fan in some regards.

His feeling is basically nothing good can happen without something bad right behind it.
True...they are another suffering franchise.
Cgy, Winnipeg and Ottawa...the trifecta of pain (is Vancouver permitted in our club?)
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:49 AM   #145
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Cgy, Winnipeg and Ottawa...the trifecta of pain (is Vancouver permitted in our club?)
The salary cap has aided the small market Canadian teams in closing the gap but it's not the cure for bad ownership, poor team management, and the fact that most of their franchise players will always want to move on when their contracts expire.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:02 AM   #146
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Most people here in the city are really excited. Any trepidation is probably PTSD from the Melnyk years, which were brutal. Edwards is frustrating as an owner, but at least his motivations are transparent and predictable. Melnyk was a wild man. One too many bottles of red on a Wednesday in November could, and often did, lead to decisions with catastrophic long-term consequences.

What a difference a year makes. The team is on the rise. A downtown arena is virtually assured. Former players are coming back into the fold. Community ties are being rebuilt. New ownership will inject even more energy. If it's Reynolds, player recruitment and retention will get a huge boost.

I'm happy for the city and the fans, but it's making the Flames dumpster fire harder to stomach.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:54 AM   #147
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
We have something they don't.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 10:46 AM   #148
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like Ryan Reynolds being involved with the Senators would help to increase the team's profile. If he is active in promoting the team then they'll start to become one of the fan favorite teams around the league. Seems weird.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:55 AM   #149
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still rooting for Reynolds to own part of the team. The docu-series of him going through the process of buying the team to the on ice product for a full season would be fantastic watching.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 01:14 PM   #150
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Unless things have changed I thought the Sens made it a rule that Ryan Reynolds would have to be added to any winning bid? As in he's bidding with this group but if another group win he'd be added into that group?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:35 PM   #151
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Unless things have changed I thought the Sens made it a rule that Ryan Reynolds would have to be added to any winning bid? As in he's bidding with this group but if another group win he'd be added into that group?
That was the initial plan, but he decided to throw his lot in with the Remington group. If another group wins, it's unlikely (though not impossible) that he'd be added to their mix.
Old 04-28-2023, 01:40 PM   #152
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s with the Remington Group being involved with Graeme Roustan? The guy was accused of fraud bigtime, back when they were trying to get a Markham bid. Couldn’t they pick a better representative to work with?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:50 PM   #153
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Michael Andlauer gets this team
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:06 PM   #154
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not so fast Ottawa.
https://theathletic.com/4456952/2023...ebreton-flats/

Quote:
As part of an hour-long conversation with The Athletic this week, Whiteduck says his KZA community is now preparing to take legal action against the government of Canada to ensure they have a significant voice at the table in these arena negotiations at LeBreton Flats.
Quote:
Whiteduck has seen the suggestions that the Senators’ new arena could pay homage to First Nations groups through artwork or designated street names in the area. But he dismisses those ideas as outdated and inappropriate.

“Renaming the streets, sculptures or getting our artists to create murals and stuff? That’s borderline tokenism. We’re past that stage now,” says Whiteduck. “We’re at the stage where we want to be investors. We want to provide a stake ownership in the Senators if possible.”
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:35 AM   #155
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1653060269059219456
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 09:38 AM   #156
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Behind paywall, but this is a fascinating read, and makes a very strong case for their group with the Dogg Father involved. I'd actually like to see Ryan Reynolds and Snoop attached to a group together
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:51 AM   #157
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more that celebs want to own teams and bring incremental revenue streams that traditional owners can't tap into and thereby bumping team valuation beyond old metrics of gates and TV deals, the more i could see Murr hitting the bid and moving on from the Flames.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:21 AM   #158
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reynolds is smart using his fame to leverage business opportunities that makes him far more than acting ever could.

Others have done the same like Clooney and Gerber, Dr. Dre, but he's taking it up a level.

It looks like he's also having a ton of fun. Much more than 12 hour days on sets could ever give him.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:55 PM   #159
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Snoop Dogg buys the team:

The Ottawa Senatorizzles
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:05 PM   #160
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snoop could probably bring more to the sport than Ryan Reynolds does. You want more minorities involved, Snoop would be a great start. Though I could see Ryan Reynolds bringing more the 45 year old female in some way or another. From an entertainment standpoint Snoop on a broadcast would be so fun. The awkwardness with Ron MacLean or someone interviewing him would be great to watch as well.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote