Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2022, 08:44 PM   #61
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Reynolds’s biggest asset is his ability to be marketable / bring marketing

He’s clearly not going to be the majority owner

But the guy is basically marketing gold and could “presumable” easily lead a bid for the team
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:58 PM   #62
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Not by metro area. Ottawa is 4th. And growing faster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_in_Canada
So weird, not too long ago, Vancouver was at a 2 mil +. Just looked at recent census data and now its just under 700k

my bad, Ottawa is 4th
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:08 AM   #63
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Not by metro area. Ottawa is 4th. And growing faster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_in_Canada
Foothills County and the towns enclosed by it (Okotoks, High River, and Turner Valley) are not included by Statistics Canada in the Calgary metropolitan area – which is manifestly ridiculous. These places (plus Strathmore and a portion of Wheatland County extending out to it) are part of the Calgary Metropolitan Region as defined by the Alberta government. Foothills County and the four towns had a combined population of 71,745 according to the 2021 census, which is more than enough to put Calgary back in fourth place.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:25 AM   #64
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

That'd be awesome if Reynolds buys the Senators. Then renames the team to be "The Deadpool" or "Marvels". Finally, he changes the uniform so that the colors and helmets look similar to the Deadpool's outfit. Man, they'd make a killing selling their jerseys! Senators already have Deadpool colors already. So, Reynolds would just tweak it a bit. With the Marvels team name, that possibility is even more wide open for superhero uniforms. Of course, he'd have to buy the rights from Disney.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:28 AM   #65
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
That'd be awesome if Reynolds buys the Senators. Then renames the team to be "The Deadpool" or "Marvels". Finally, he changes the uniform so that the colors and helmets look similar to the Deadpool's outfit. Man, they'd make a killing selling their jerseys! Senators already have Deadpool colors already. So, Reynolds would just tweak it a bit. With the Marvels team name, that possibility is even more wide open for superhero uniforms. Of course, he'd have to buy the rights from Disney.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #66
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

reynolds would be so meta about it which is why I would be on board

he would probably advertise the team in the new DP movie or have sens cameo as themselves for ***s and giggles

he would participate in puck drop as one of his fictional characters and stage fights with hugh jackman in the crowd during commercial breaks

he is everything the sens so desperately need
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 10:58 AM   #67
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Ryan Reynolds’s biggest asset is his ability to be marketable / bring marketing

He’s clearly not going to be the majority owner

But the guy is basically marketing gold and could “presumable” easily lead a bid for the team
Magic Johnson and the Dodgers comes to mind.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:26 AM   #68
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon37

The Sens make it official...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1588524012874907650

Quote:
A condition of any sale will be that the team remains in Ottawa.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #69
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The condition means nothing, almost every team that was initially put up for sale and then relocated tried that condition.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #70
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The condition means nothing, almost every team that was initially put up for sale and then relocated tried that condition.
But they have to promise, with a pinky swear AND no fingers crossed
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #71
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
But they have to promise, with a pinky swear AND no fingers crossed
The thing is, they could just say 6 months from now, "Oh, we couldn't find any buyers so we've lifted the condition."

But I hope not. Senators in a downtown arena have so much potential, especially if the team is about to get good.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:44 PM   #72
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am mildly threatened by the fact that the Ottawa area has recently passed Calgary in population, and Edmonton is on track to doing so as well.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #73
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moving the Senators would make zero sense, not sure why people are even talking about it. It's being sold because the owner died and the kids don't want it....
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:06 PM   #74
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I am mildly threatened by the fact that the Ottawa area has recently passed Calgary in population, and Edmonton is on track to doing so as well.
good . this city is congested enough as it is .. the road system can barely accommodate the current pop with how much it has shot up the last ten years . if anything i'd like to see a decline in population to coincide with the completion of the ring road and green line . maybe getting around this place won't be such a nightmare
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:33 PM   #75
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
good . this city is congested enough as it is .. the road system can barely accommodate the current pop with how much it has shot up the last ten years . if anything i'd like to see a decline in population to coincide with the completion of the ring road and green line . maybe getting around this place won't be such a nightmare
Be careful what you wish for. When a city's population declines, it's usually because of massive unemplloyment.

Have fun getting around when you have no money for transportation and nowhere to go.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:35 PM   #76
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
A declining population creates far more problems than it solves. Growth is what you want - as much as can be reasonably handled. Growth creates jobs and increases the tax base.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:51 PM   #77
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's too bad; I think the fact that two young women in their early 20s own a sports team like this is hilarious.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:57 PM   #78
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who aren't aware - Ryan Reynolds actually already owns a sports team - it's a football (soccer) club in Wales. They made an FX documentary series about his first year owning the team. I watched it on Disney+, pretty interesting imo.

I'm not sure how the NHL would feel about all of that. It would obviously be great publicity for the league, but they seem pretty buttoned down to me - not sure if that would fly with some of the big serious people/egos involved.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:04 PM   #79
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
For those who aren't aware - Ryan Reynolds actually already owns a sports team - it's a football (soccer) club in Wales.
For reference he and Rob McElhenney co-own it, and paid £2M for it. That's a far cry from the $600M+ that will be asked for the Senators.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:10 PM   #80
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
It's too bad; I think the fact that two young women in their early 20s own a sports team like this is hilarious.
I agree actually, and moreover, their father owned it for so long that one would think they've actually got a vested interest in running it. But to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
For those who aren't aware - Ryan Reynolds actually already owns a sports team - it's a football (soccer) club in Wales. They made an FX documentary series about his first year owning the team. I watched it on Disney+, pretty interesting imo.

I'm not sure how the NHL would feel about all of that. It would obviously be great publicity for the league, but they seem pretty buttoned down to me - not sure if that would fly with some of the big serious people/egos involved.
2 Major things though. 'Actor Money' is largely not 'Pro Sports Team Owner' money. Even with the Gin Joint.

He can afford half a non-league Welsh soccer team, especially when you consider the what the USD is doing to Sterling at the moment, but if Reynolds liquidated his entire net worth he wouldnt even get a sniff of what it would cost to buy the Senators much less run and operate them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote