Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #1881
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I chose on the spot - Kraken x53 (it’s all going in a Corsair 4000D, so no space for triple fans up top). Going to top mount it, and then three Corsair LL120’s on the front for intake alongside another on the rear for exhaust.

I was at the NW location. It was complete luck that they had one that they confirmed as a cancellation while I was there
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #1882
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I chose on the spot - Kraken x53 (it’s all going in a Corsair 4000D, so no space for triple fans up top). Going to top mount it, and then three Corsair LL120’s on the front for intake alongside another on the rear for exhaust.

I was at the NW location. It was complete luck that they had one that they confirmed as a cancellation while I was there
Nice. I wanted to get a triple rad when I changed my case, but the chip ran so hot I couldn't do a Kraken x73 (even though I have an NZXT case), opted for an Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360 instead at the behest of a friend.

No LEDs/temp display, but it keeps it at 51c on idle (yes really). I had an H100i RGB Platinum there originally and it idled at ~59c with the fans at 1800rpm.

This sits at ~50c-51c with them at ~800rpm so that's obviously a lot more preferable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #1883
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
On a similar note, the NE location called me last week to let me know my 5900x was in (I bought one from CC back in early Jan), so I grabbed it for a friend (sold at cost). Stock is definitely trickling in.
And they told me that because I was an RMA I'd be going to the head of the line? When did you order that 5900X from ME?
Old 02-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #1884
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
And they told me that because I was an RMA I'd be going to the head of the line? When did you order that 5900X from ME?
Nov 10th

Quote:
Old 02-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #1885
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice. I wanted to get a triple rad when I changed my case, but the chip ran so hot I couldn't do a Kraken x73 (even though I have an NZXT case), opted for an Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360 instead at the behest of a friend.

No LEDs/temp display, but it keeps it at 51c on idle (yes really). I had an H100i RGB Platinum there originally and it idled at ~59c with the fans at 1800rpm.

This sits at ~50c-51c with them at ~800rpm so that's obviously a lot more preferable!
I’ve never done any liquid cooling before - should I bail on the x53 and look elsewhere?

By in large, reviews seem positive and it looks like it will deliver solid cooling performance (albeit at a cost to noise creation).
Old 02-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #1886
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve never done any liquid cooling before - should I bail on the x53 and look elsewhere?

By in large, reviews seem positive and it looks like it will deliver solid cooling performance (albeit at a cost to noise creation).
I have the x63 and it’s a little noisy under load but otherwise it’s barely noticeable and it works great. If it fits in your case I would recommend it.

I’m going to get the 5950x too if I can ever get one.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #1887
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Krakens have two things going for them:

a) Looks amazing (esp the z series, but the x mirrors are nice)

b) NZXT has good build quality (should last ~5 years)

That said, you pay a high premium for them, and their cooling is a bit underwhelming.

GN Steve did a really good breakdown of most of the current AiOs last year in this review:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...view-benchmark

Then he had a follow up when the EK came out:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...liquid-coolers

All in all, the Kraken is a good cooler, there's no doubt about it (note most of these graphs rate the x72/x62 ones), it's on par with the EK/AC coolers in general use, but has louder fans and pump, and does a worse job cooling your VRM. Ultimately, the decision that swayed me to the ACII was the price, coupled with the performance. The ACLFII 360 was $190. Just absolutely bargain price for a quieter, cooler AIO.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 10:15 PM   #1888
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well, the luckiest damn thing just happened to me.

I went in to spec a new mega build at Memory Express expecting it be an ETA of "who !@#$ing knows, 2 months?", and via cancellations I got everything I wanted (except in black, rather than white).

ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Ryzen 9 5950X
Crosshair VIII Hero
64GB of 3600mhz Vengeance
2TB Evo Plus NVMe

I have a similar build but with dual 2080ti cards and the 3960x. I am really impressed with these latest AMD cpu's, crazy good performance at that price point. That build is out performing dual xeon gold cpu's.

looking to move into the pro line with the either the 3975wx or 3995wx. My gut wants the cores but the program probably wants the cpu speed. Leaning towards the A6000 GPU as the 3090's are still hard to find in the time frame I am looking at. Computers and parts are really hard to source these days.

That's a really nice build, enjoy.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:31 PM   #1889
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry to derail the conversation but I’m a clueless dad looking for a recommendation for a Chromebook for his 9 year old son. They all look the same to me and the only real difference I can notice is if they have a touch screen or not.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:44 PM   #1890
photon

Exp:

Is it intended to be his primary computer? Or is it just for school?

We got my kid an 11" Chromebook for school at about that age, but he had a home computer for Minecraft as well. If it was going to be a more primary device I might have leaned towards a 14" screen.

Durability was one of the biggest concerns for me at that age, so we went with an HP one that had a very nice rugged textured finish, I think it's similar to this one (found it on sale for $200): https://www.amazon.ca/HP-Chromebook-.../dp/B08BC2QQ2M

Later we got him an 14" Chromebook (Acer or Asus can't remember which).
Old 02-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #1891
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

####. Memory express apparently took me off their list for some reason.

What a waste of time for a CPU. ####ing joke.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 05:15 PM   #1892
photon

Exp:

That sucks!

Someone told me they got their 5900X RMA in 1 week but they RMA'd it with AMD rather than with the store. That's a lot faster than the 2 months I've been waiting.

I sent an email to AMD to see if there's anything they can do, or if I should get my CPU back from MemEx and RMA it directly with them (if that's even possible, maybe they sent it to AMD already).
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 07:29 PM   #1893
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What are the wait times for buying one of the Ryzen CPU's like the 5800/5900X? Or should I just do an Intel build for the first time and buy a 10900K?

I still want a 3080/6800XT but I can wait awhile longer as I am using a FTW3 1080TI. The only thing that has made it weep so far has been Cyberpunk lol

Last edited by BlAcKNoVa; 02-18-2021 at 07:33 PM.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:41 PM   #1894
photon

Exp:

5800X seems to be a bit more available. I've tried using the Twitch channel Psy mentioned earlier (https://www.twitch.tv/war10ck3d) and I just have it on in the background, the audio will read out when things come available. Click the link that pops up in chat and hope to get one. I've had a 5800X in my cart almost all the way through the checkout a few times before when I decided to just wait. Just make sure you have an account registered already on the sites.

B&H seems to be really good lately for that, they're in the US but I've ordered things from them in the past and they handle the duty and stuff.

There's a used 5800X on Kijiji too for only $60 above MemEx's price, though be careful with that of course I had a guy offer me a 5900X for a decent price once but I'm pretty sure it was stolen.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:52 PM   #1895
photon

Exp:

Hey I think I finally got the case I want coming, at least my B&H order changed to processing from backordered.

So now I should decide on cooling.. I'm gonna give an AIO a try, I need a 240 or 280 for my smaller case.

I'm leaning towards 280mm since I figure bigger fans can run slower and be quieter. Though the brand I really want (the EKWB 240mm AIO D-RGB) the 280 isn't available yet. Not sure how much of a difference it would be.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #1896
photon

Exp:

Lol so I called MemEx to get my RMA number to give to AMD so they could try and expediate it, now MemEx says that the RMA is closed by AMD and that I can get store credit or a refund...

I asked how the RMA got closed, and she said that the vendor decides to do that if they aren't able to provide a replacement. Interesting how that happened on the same day I called to get the RMA # and after they said they'd call me back.

I guess I'll send the RMA # to AMD, maybe they can do something.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #1897
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Krakens have two things going for them:

a) Looks amazing (esp the z series, but the x mirrors are nice)

b) NZXT has good build quality (should last ~5 years)

That said, you pay a high premium for them, and their cooling is a bit underwhelming.

GN Steve did a really good breakdown of most of the current AiOs last year in this review:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...view-benchmark

Then he had a follow up when the EK came out:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...liquid-coolers

All in all, the Kraken is a good cooler, there's no doubt about it (note most of these graphs rate the x72/x62 ones), it's on par with the EK/AC coolers in general use, but has louder fans and pump, and does a worse job cooling your VRM. Ultimately, the decision that swayed me to the ACII was the price, coupled with the performance. The ACLFII 360 was $190. Just absolutely bargain price for a quieter, cooler AIO.
I've got the box running and everything. CPU seems to idle between 40 and 51 degrees if the pump is on performance mode, the hum from the x53 is definitely audible. I think I'll keep it and see how I find it. I may switch to a Noctua NH-D15 (chromax.Black) at some point if I choose to move away for the x53.

I !@#$ing love this build, and am quite pleased with the 4000D airflow (white).

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-19-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:17 PM   #1898
photon

Exp:

Yeah those cases look very nice IMO.

I was thinking of the X63 RGB since I really like the style of the fans:

The only downside is if I want to have case fans that match that's expensive, they're like $40 each!

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX73716
Old 02-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #1899
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ They're great looking if you want lit fans however.

MY BUILD IS DONE (for now)

Specs:
Spoiler!

Dark Pic:
Spoiler!

Very Red Pic:
Spoiler!

Quote:
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #1900
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

What cables did you buy for your power runs? I’m just using the stock ones that came with my PS.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: