Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #2081
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Caesars Willow Park is the best steak.
Have to agree to disagree here. The wife and I went recently for our anniversary and were incredibly underwhelmed. It was one of the most disappointing meals I have had in a long time. I almost got the feeling they wanted us out so they could free up the table.

We had a 7PM reservation and ended up settling our tab at 7:55 which was about an hour sooner than we expected to leave. Our mains arrived before we were finished our apps and my wife didn't even finish her first glass of wine until after we were done our mains.

I have been to Caesars before and enjoyed it but I will likely never go again unless someone else is paying.
Boblobla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #2082
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of steak has anyone eaten here:

https://www.silverslatearena.com/steak-house.php

The Silver Slate Steakhouse.

My in-laws love it. I have so far avoided the drive to Stavely for steak, but maybe I should give it a go.

??

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #2083
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never had a bad steak at Open Range, and it doesn't feel fussy and overdone. The scalloped potatoes are incredible.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #2084
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

My in-laws love it. I have so far avoided the drive to Stavely for steak, but maybe I should give it a go.

??
this is even further than Longview. I only tolerate the drive to Longview because I consider it one of the finest steaks on Planet Earth, plus I have the option to stay at the BnB rather than driving home in darkness.

the Silver Slate one would have to be on that same level of orgasmic for a city dweller to do it. the "street" view on google I must admit is pretty awesome:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...HIQpx96BAhTEAg

Last edited by Inglewood Jack; 11-02-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #2085
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
this is even further than Longview. I only tolerate the drive to Longview because I consider it one of the finest steaks on Planet Earth, plus I have the option to stay at the BnB rather than driving home in darkness.

the Silver Slate one would have to be on that same level of orgasmic for a city dweller to do it. the "street" view on google I must admit is pretty awesome:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...HIQpx96BAhTEAg
Looking at some of those pictures in the link it is definitely NOT worth the drive...
Boblobla is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #2086
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Looking at some of those pictures in the link it is definitely NOT worth the drive...
What are those round tofu looking things??
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:29 PM   #2087
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Courtyard on Edmonton Trail is open!

They completely renoed the place and it's really nice.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #2088
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

??
Ate there a few years back with some relatives as they swore by it. It was good. Caesar's/Hy's/Longview good? No. But "in the area and wanting to try someplace new" good? Sure. Be warned it's in a horse arena, so the accompanying horse "aroma" is part of the experience as you walk to the restaurant.

And those "tofu looking" things were potatoes - actually really good. So is it worth trying? Yes. Is it worth the drive from Calgary as a destination dining experience? Not sure I'd go that far.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #2089
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only time I ate at Caesar’s I was host a large party from a prospective German customer. Their leader and I were give the place of honour directly facing the grill where they had giant stacks of raw meat ready to cook. At that moment he turned to me and said in a very German way…”you realize I’m a vegetarian…”. The only things on the menu he could eat were potatoes and salad. Luckily his crew were full on carnivores and loved it. We got the contract.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #2090
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Ate there a few years back with some relatives as they swore by it. It was good. Caesar's/Hy's/Longview good? No. But "in the area and wanting to try someplace new" good? Sure. Be warned it's in a horse arena, so the accompanying horse "aroma" is part of the experience as you walk to the restaurant.

And those "tofu looking" things were potatoes - actually really good. So is it worth trying? Yes. Is it worth the drive from Calgary as a destination dining experience? Not sure I'd go that far.
I'm not sure I am ever in Stavely area.....lol

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:58 AM   #2091
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Longview is just different. It's a Moroccan family that is classically French trained. In the middle of nowhere with a view from a movie.

I've been twice and both times were great. The food is very good. Chateaubriand for two is amazing.

That said. I got a pack of tenderloins from Master Meats last night and sous vide cooked, seasoned with Hardcore Carnivore Black, and seared in high quality bacon fat. Put some frozen cavendish shoestring fries in in the T-Fal. Voila was a bomb meal on a Tuesday. Steak is just an easy thing to do at home.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #2092
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Going to Modern Steak South port on Friday. Is A5 Wagyu worth it?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:41 PM   #2093
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Going to Modern Steak South port on Friday. Is A5 Wagyu worth it?
Modern Steak has actual Japanese A5? Last time it was just Alberta Brent Wagyu which was disappointing to say the least.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:58 PM   #2094
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Modern Steak has actual Japanese A5? Last time it was just Alberta Brent Wagyu which was disappointing to say the least.
According to the menu they do. Whether they have any in stock is another thing. The ribeye for two has me intrigued, as I have never tried it before.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:33 AM   #2095
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Longview is just different. It's a Moroccan family that is classically French trained. In the middle of nowhere with a view from a movie.

I've been twice and both times were great. The food is very good. Chateaubriand for two is amazing.

That said. I got a pack of tenderloins from Master Meats last night and sous vide cooked, seasoned with Hardcore Carnivore Black, and seared in high quality bacon fat. Put some frozen cavendish shoestring fries in in the T-Fal. Voila was a bomb meal on a Tuesday. Steak is just an easy thing to do at home.

I haven’t tried Hardcore Carnivore seasoning yet. But with the MM name drop, I will volunteer that I prefer the Master Meats steak seasoning to anything else I have tried, and I have tried many.

Also, fun fact, I know you mentioned skis vide, so not as relevant as for grillers, but for best results grilling, season your steaks for min 40 minutes as the salt draws out water, creates a brine, and reabsorbs.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #2096
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I haven’t tried Hardcore Carnivore seasoning yet. But with the MM name drop, I will volunteer that I prefer the Master Meats steak seasoning to anything else I have tried, and I have tried many.

Also, fun fact, I know you mentioned skis vide, so not as relevant as for grillers, but for best results grilling, season your steaks for min 40 minutes as the salt draws out water, creates a brine, and reabsorbs.
Really??

I've personally had steaks that were pre-salted for like an hour and the salt changes the texture too much for my liking. Yes, it was juicy, but it ends up having the texture of deli meat.

I'll usually pat the steaks dry, then let them air dry on the counter while they come to room temp. Heat my grill, salt and pepper them, then right on the grill.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #2097
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kenji says Salt just before or 40 min not in between through.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food...perfect-steaks
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #2098
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Kenji says Salt just before or 40 min not in between through.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food...perfect-steaks
Actually he said overnight was best.

Quote:
Indeed, the absolute best steak I had was one that I had salted on both sides then allowed to rest on a rack overnight in the refrigerator uncovered.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2021, 11:36 AM   #2099
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So we went to Modern Steak Southport last night, and it was very good. The place was packed, so it was kind of a time warp back to pre covid. Our server was dealing with a rather large table of needy people, so the service at the beginning was quite slow, but the other staff had his back so it got progressively better. The A5 strip was incredible. I would recommend.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #2100
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Actually he said overnight was best.
Get one of those Nordic Ware bacon trays to do this. Makes cleaning up much easier.

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business