Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #281
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I acknowledge my views on this are more extreme than most, but the hit on Petterson is precisely the type of thing that should be eliminated because most of it had nothing to do with getting the puck.
But I'm very aware I'm on an extreme side of the relative positions on this overall issue, and don't expect a lot of others to share that view....yet
Contact and hitting in hockey isn't just about getting or seperating a player from the puck. Intimidation and physicality is and always will be a part of the game. I know even when I played, if there was a shifter player going into the boards with me, I would try and ensure I hammered the player as hard as I could so as to make him think twice about a play and more concerned about getting hit.

The best way to contain any player with such high end skill is to punish the player physically. At most it was a two minute roughing penalty.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #282
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^That is very true, but it only applies where the physicality that you're using to intimidate the other player is legal in the first place.

I guessed 1-2, so this seems about right, and in line with the general theme of the DOPS so far this season which is, "we're serious this time, guys. If you don't believe us, try something and see." It's actually kind of impressive how quickly they've adjusted expectations for suspension severity.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #283
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Water Cowboy #10 View Post
Is there a professional non contact league anywhere? That may be more up some people’s alley by the sounds of things. There is a reason that most NHL players are big strong athletes. It makes your chances of winning greater. Roughing and inimidation ( bullying) has been going on since... forever in the league. Some people make it and some people don’t. Small guys gotta watch it.
I feel for the young Nuck. The nhl needs to protect its assets. But that was just roughing
There is no such thing as pro non contact hockey and there should never be. I'd have zero interest in watching that.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #284
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
There is no such thing as pro non contact hockey and there should never be. I'd have zero interest in watching that.
http://www.thecwhl.com/
Old 10-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #285
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love how many people think a stick-assisted Osoto Gari is perfectly kosher on a hockey rink.

Good suspension, glad to see it.

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theinfinitejar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #286
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm fine with a suspension because the slam was unnecessary but if the NHL is going to start disciplining players for "non-hockey" plays I wan't to know why Gubrandson didn't get a game or two for his cheap shot on Dube. He was defenceless and didn't have the puck. That's not a hockey play either but as was said a few posts up the NHL justice system continues to be tiered depending on the status of the players involved.
Great point. As always, this is about being consistent, and this play getting a 2 game suspension while others go unpunished whatsoever is the real problem. You want to punish players for non-hockey plays? Do so, but do it often and do it consistently. Not just because a new star player gets hurt.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #287
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
And hardly anyone watches it, allowing body checks would probably double/triple viewership. Still wouldn't be much for viewership but I would probably tune in.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #288
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Different game and quality in every aspect. I was referring to Mens pro hockey as I am sure the initial poster was as well.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #289
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a joke. If this hit was to a guy who isn't a rookie or small it would be celebrated.

Should be 2 mins not 2 games.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #290
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Eric Francis made a really bad taste comment on Pettersons injury... No fan of his but the outrage brigade is out in full force on him on twitter which is even more nauseating.

"Leafs-free radio continues on the EFShow on @Sportsnet960 with a chance to win two tix to Thursday’s Pizza Pigout. Name the finishing move Matheson used on Patterson and best ones get tix. Send me the answer on Twitter. Creativity counts"
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #291
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
And hardly anyone watches it, allowing body checks would probably double/triple viewership. Still wouldn't be much for viewership but I would probably tune in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Different game and quality in every aspect. I was referring to Mens pro hockey as I am sure the initial poster was as well.
Have you guys ever watched a CWHL game? Are there huge open ice body checks or big hits like in the NHL? No. Is it a game void of any kind of physicality? HELL NO. There's a ton of physical play in the female game. Hell even in adult leagues the women team's are ruthless.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #292
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd say the League got it right.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #293
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was expecting 5 games.

It was a dirty play where the player was injured. I don't think he intentionally injured, but he intentionally committed roughing.

I hate to stand of for the Canucks ever, but Pettersson is a very intriguing young star in the making and the league has an interest to protect players like that. Obviously all players deserve the same protection, but stars are what bring attention and money.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #294
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Eric Francis made a really bad taste comment on Pettersons injury... No fan of his but the outrage brigade is out in full force on him on twitter which is even more nauseating.

"Leafs-free radio continues on the EFShow on @Sportsnet960 with a chance to win two tix to Thursday’s Pizza Pigout. Name the finishing move Matheson used on Patterson and best ones get tix. Send me the answer on Twitter. Creativity counts"

Meh.

There are many worse things Francis says when he isn’t trying to be funny
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #295
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it was in poor taste but the red halo’s on the canucks fans responding with comments like “remove dad from your profile because you don’t deserve to be one” shows just how pathetic that fan base can be.

This from the same fans that were laughing off the predatory hit on dube and the facial fracture on hamonic.

Yes the hit was terrible I and I hope a quick recovery for Patterson but to be outraged about head injuries when it’s your player and to laugh them off when it’s an opposing teams player is laughable.

Last edited by Diemenz; 10-15-2018 at 09:41 PM. Reason: My iPhone thinks Travis is an instrument.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #296
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I think it was in poor taste but the red halo’s on the canucks fans responding with comments like “remove dad from your profile because you don’t deserve to be one” shows just how pathetic that fan base can be.

This from the same fans that were laughing off the predatory hit on dube and the facial fracture on hamonic.

Yes the hit was terrible I and I hope a quick recovery for Patterson but to be outraged about head injuries when it’s your player and to laugh them off when it’s an opposing teams player is laughable.
Read internet comments with a degree of caution and a grain of salt.

Many people are animals but CP generally doesn’t foster the type
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #297
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marchand pounds the piss out of Eller and gets nothing as a repeat offender and this gets 2 games? I'm not saying I wanted to see Marchand suspended and I'm glad he wasn't but he had one thing in mind which was to knock Eller out. I don't think Matheson had that intention at all. Plus that swedish kid is a tiny wimp. According to my calculations it was bound to happen at some point anyways.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #298
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The problem I have is the double standards in this league. Had that been Jay Beagle, this wouldn't be a discussion in my honest opinion. Sure, the kid looks like a future super star. But he's also a pro hockey player that is going to be on the other end of physical play, like anyone else. Pettersen is a string bean, and maybe this will encourage him to get stronger.

I believe in the league protecting its players from malicious acts such as hits to the head, from behind and slashing, and it should be the same standards for every player, regardless of their stardom. This to me just looked like a strong, physical play to take out your man. 2 minute roughing minor at the very most.

I am quite positive that Mattheson didn't decide mid hit that he wanted to concuss this kid.

Unfortunate to see him get hurt, but he's a small, young kid playing against beasts. Hopefully he bounces back from this quickly.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #299
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

The tweet was off-colour but nothing egregious. Even this thread title says WWE. So going one step further and asking for creative finishing moves, which there are some good ones - tombstone, sweet chin music, five star frog splash - really, is not bad.

The Twitter Police… upholding morals.
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #300
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yall turned soft.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post: