Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #61
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can someone please explain to me how someone (Chris Breen) can be "too good for the waiver wire" and yet not be able to crack the roster of one of the worst defensive teams in the whole league?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #62
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is a statement game!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #63
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
That's really weird stuff with Stempniak.

Does Hartley not know he's a naturally inconsistent player? It's certainly not due to a lack of effort. It's just what Stempniak is.

Odd how it's Stempniak now but never was Glencross before his injury.
Not to defend poor play, but I think Stempniak may also be a little run-down lately. A lot has been asked of that line (top-ish minutes, shut-down against other teams, PK and PP time) and I wouldn't be surprised if part of this is just kind of a "Hey, Lee, take a breather and reset". Steinberg raised this point the other night on Overtime and I thought that it was a pretty good observation about that line. Stajan's been okay that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if he needs a rest at some point too...
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #64
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

is the thread title an attempt to get back the "Go Flams" magic from earlier in the season?

Go Flams.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #65
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

“@THNRonnieShuker: The Calgary Flames have played 22 one-goal games, most in the NHL, with a record of 11-6-5.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #66
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #67
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Can someone please explain to me how someone (Chris Breen) can be "too good for the waiver wire" and yet not be able to crack the roster of one of the worst defensive teams in the whole league?
he's looked atrocious in the handful or so of NHL minutes we've seen of him. Can't help to think this has been a relatively waste of a year, from a development perspective, for him. Well, unless these guys can develop through practice alone.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #68
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't think Breen is long for this organization really. Feaster may have trumpeted the guy, but he was not really close to an NHL d-man in his games. He is likely Feaster and Weisbrod's guy and it's possible the new management won't share that view.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #69
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Happy to see accountability, and you have to wonder if D Jones or Stempniak see the press box if Feaster is still boss.
Seriously? Feaster is gone so stop blaming the poor guy. There's a reason Bob Hartley is here. To make coaching decision and sit whoever he wants to sit.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #70
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

After finishing going through the hell of exams, maybe they can convince gaudreau and Arnold to sign rather than I back to school.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #71
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
After finishing going through the hell of exams, maybe they can convince gaudreau and Arnold to sign rather than I back to school.
I thought that their basket-weaving final was open book??
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #72
MoreDrank
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
is the thread title an attempt to get back the "Go Flams" magic from earlier in the season?

Go Flams.
Spoiler!
MoreDrank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoreDrank For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
he's looked atrocious in the handful or so of NHL minutes we've seen of him. Can't help to think this has been a relatively waste of a year, from a development perspective, for him. Well, unless these guys can develop through practice alone.
My take is that a few teams have sniffed around acquiring him in the past year and the team is fearful he won't clear waivers despite the fact that more proven guys like Smith easily pass through waivers. It does seem wasteful to just keep him around and not play him. Maybe the team should just put him through and if he gets picked up good for him in that he may get a shot elsewhere that he's not getting here and if he passes through then another healthy body for the Heat and he gets more development.

I would think Burke's trade freeze over Christmas may also apply to putting players on waivers so it's not out of the question after the holidays he gets put on waivers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #74
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Seriously? Feaster is gone so stop blaming the poor guy. There's a reason Bob Hartley is here. To make coaching decision and sit whoever he wants to sit.
Blame is your word, not mine, but yes it does appear curious how two of Feaster's guys have been scratched in the past couple games, who never saw the press box previously. You're welcome to disagree of course.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #75
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 MPH Blues View Post
The next morning, when all the adrenaline is gone, you never know how swollen and sore the injury will be.
My thumb does this at least a couple times a year, and I just pop it back in on my own, as they make a huge production every time I go to a doctors office. "Would you like a pain prescription? splint? note for work?.... etc." It doesn't even get swollen or hurt when it happens anymore. In fact I dislocate it at least once a year golfing. If I ground a club to hard or hit a root, it pops out, then I proceed to ruin everyone else's day in my foursome by waving it in their faces and bending it back more. One guy started dry heaving once, and he was just a walk on that joined our group.... lol.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #76
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah, I don't think Breen is long for this organization really. Feaster may have trumpeted the guy, but he was not really close to an NHL d-man in his games. He is likely Feaster and Weisbrod's guy and it's possible the new management won't share that view.
Well, Sutter was the one that acquired him as a free agent signing after Breen didn't get drafted.

I think the Flames are more reluctant to lose him on waivers because of his size (6'7"), how he is a physical stay at home defencemen (which is lacking), he has looked very good in the AHL, and has a nasty disposition. If anything, Breen is a 'Brian Burke' guy for sure in every measure.

Hopefully he gets some playing time soon. It does feel like he is just wasting away here right now.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #77
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The lineup without Cammy and Stempniak looks so weak...

I will however expect that I can be proud of the effort that will be put in, regardless of the final score, and that thought alone actually makes me happy.
Scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #78
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
“@THNRonnieShuker: The Calgary Flames have played 22 one-goal games, most in the NHL, with a record of 11-6-5.”
All these 1 goal games will prepare the Flames well for the playoffs where every game is tight.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #79
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hartley saying Backlund playing great
Old 12-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #80
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over these last few games Backlund has shown why he was drafted in the 1st round. He's been one of the best on the team lately.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin