Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #61
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd like to see Valimaki and Kylington tried on the right side. Might open up their offensive game a little more. Seemed to work for Juuso in Finland.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:42 PM   #62
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty baffling to see this team treat Bennett the way they did…and then apparently decide to do much the same with Valimaki.

They just don’t seem to know how to help develop young players at the NHL level. It certainly explains why the “internal growth” Treliving has been waiting around for just never happened.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:42 PM   #63
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
For sure.

And I never suggested any one had to apologize, or change their behaviour.

But it's just not in me to be so bent out of shape at all times about all things.

Tiresome.
Might just be symptomatic of most online discussion lately. People feel compelled to express their tiny grievances with the superlatives and intensity typically reserved for major injustices. If anything in a vast ocean of online commentary it seems like it’s the only way people think their post will get noticed.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #64
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Pretty baffling to see this team treat Bennett the way they did…and then apparently decide to do much the same with Valimaki.

They just don’t seem to know how to help develop young players at the NHL level. It certainly explains why the “internal growth” Treliving has been waiting around for just never happened.
Tkachuk, Anderson, Mangiapane, and Dube say hi
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #65
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
No problem with Kylington getting some reps instead of Valimaki, but keeping Nesterov in doesn't make much sense. Let Valimaki handle a bit more responsibility and see how he does. Or Kylington for that matter, I don't care. But you'll never know what you have in some young players if you don't put them in situations to test their abilities. Both Stone and Andersson are capable enough veterans at this point to handle a young partner.

But really, Nordstrom on the 2nd line? Are you telling me you couldn't let Dube play on that line and let Matthew Phillips have a shot at 3rd line RW with veterans like Lucic and Ryan? He's been patient for years and is working on his game, but he's also had a pretty good year and deserves a cup of coffee in garbage time to see if he can hang with NHL players.

This organization just simply refuses to trust that any young player could add something meaningful to the team, and they're the last team in the NHL to figure this out. Every other team in the NHL readily plays guys for at least a few games every year, even if they're not 100% ready to show them what it takes to reach the NHL.

This franchise is horrible at player development, full stop. It's driving me insane.
I think I've felt this way for the last five seasons.

What's frustrating is the 2014-15 season was so damn fun, with guys like Granlund, Jooris, and Ferland getting a chance to play and blowing all expectations out of the water.

It's like they forgot that part of the entertainment value of sport is just to see youthful exuberance.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #66
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

These last 4 games are really nothing games anyways, give the Flames some credit for going with the regular lineup. You can't really evaluate players in these types of games anyways.

Give Matthew Phillips a look, sure why not, to me that player is not only small but tiny. Team needs to be bigger, faster and stronger! As some others have mentioned, when you watch other games you notice the difference right away especially the top teams.
I'll still watch, Go Flames!
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:59 PM   #67
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
For sure.

And I never suggested any one had to apologize, or change their behaviour.

But it's just not in me to be so bent out of shape at all times about all things.

Tiresome.

Patience is a virtue for sure, and negativity seems to prosper in the land of online message boards. It can be tiresome, I agree.

But outspokeness moat of the time comes from passion, and passion can expressed as positive or negative at any time. Asking people to be less outspoken or emotional about an issue can easily be solved by apathy, and for a sports team or organization like the Flames apathy can quickly become death. People that don't care one way or another aren't going to buy hockey tickets.

This organization deserves the criticism, they deserve the scrutiny, and they deserve the strong opinions about how they choose to do their business.

When the owner of a flames forum can't find the motivation to post anymore because the forum has become to negative that is a damning statement, but put the blame where it belongs. Don't wish for more apathy in the face of failure.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimdon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 06:01 PM   #68
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I’m not saying you we’re including me in this comment but I will say my frustration today is that I would prefer to let the young players get reps in to see what part of their games they need to work on over the offseason to compete for a spot next year as well as being put into elevated roles they are not accustomed to, for the ones who have been in the lineup on a regular basis.

I’m sure alot of these young guys will get into the final four games and in general I will cool off but for the life of me I don’t really see the point of dressing guys like Nesterov and Nordstrom instead of the likes of Mackey/Valimaki or Ruzicka/Phillips.
That's me too, I'm not going to complain about every little thing but at this point I just want to see guys with a future in the organization play. Season's over, let's look forward. Dress as many young guys as you can, play them as much as you can and play them in all situations, and if they fail? Who cares. Just see what you having moving forward.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #69
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno. This all goes to show that the flames as an organization are just not all that bright.

It's sad to see. There's a reason this organization has some of the worst results as a franchise in the league over the past 30 years. It's just one dumb decision after the other.

If they don't see the value gap of the 6th best lottery odds and/or highest pick in the draft versus 13th, then they definitely appear to be dumber than they have already proved themselves to be.

Heck, even sutter should be humbled on the fact that a garbage coach basically did better with this group than he could manage.

Last edited by bubbsy; 05-13-2021 at 06:59 PM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #70
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Regressed, regressed, stagnating, and trending towards bottom 6 say hi

None of the young players on this team have developed meaningfully while in the NHL

Gaudreau peaked and has been stagnant, Monahan’s worse than when he was 18, Benzo went nowhere. Lindholm took off but is invisible now most nights and still leads the team in scoring.

Pro level player development has not been stellar
Old 05-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #71
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pregame links
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/pre...&home=3&vis=22
https://m.stats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl-ma...summary_8.html
https://m.stats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl-pr...preview_8.html

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #72
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Regressed, regressed, stagnating, and trending towards bottom 6 say hi

None of the young players on this team have developed meaningfully while in the NHL

Gaudreau peaked and has been stagnant, Monahan’s worse than when he was 18, Benzo went nowhere. Lindholm took off but is invisible now most nights and still leads the team in scoring.

Pro level player development has not been stellar
Lindholm is having his second best ever season
Old 05-13-2021, 07:58 PM   #73
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lindholm is having his second best ever season
Been the team’s best forward this season. Not even close.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #74
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Turned the game on only to learn Markstrom starting...no Valimaki or prospects. Bye bye Flames. Done with Daryll. Done with the team.
Fan in Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #75
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Francis is clueless.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #76
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
Francis is clueless.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
He's actually very, very correct on this occasion.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #77
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wrong thread

Last edited by Drunk Uncle; 05-14-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #78
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Andersson, Mangiapane and Dube were all developed in the AHL.

Sure, Tkachuk - a player that they didn't actually have to develop hit off pretty well...but the things that made him unique and great seem to have been pulled out of his game by the team, so...

Monahan is another one who they put into the NHL right away, and he hasn't really developed into what they were hoping he would become and were actively shopping him last summer. Instead of building Monahan into a 200 foot centre, they just tossed all the hard minutes at Backlund and allowed Monahan to develop into whatever it is he is now.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #79
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Uncle View Post
The amount of vitriol over the difference between a 10 OA pick becoming a 13 OA pick (if we run the table) is absolutely astounding to me. Some of you are acting like we just blew our chance to draft a Crosby or McDavid in a draft that doesn't have anywhere near that top end talent.

I'm also not bent out of shape about not seeing our middling prospects play NHL games. Maybe one of those guys forces his way onto the roster next year, but it's not like the guys we are talking about are surefire NHLers that we are holding back. Most of them are tweeners at best.

I get people are upset at how the season has gone, but it all feels overly dramatic.
Can't we only move up a max 10 spots though? With the new rules. So picking in the top 11 still gives us a shot at 1, whereas 13 only gets us up to 3 if we win it
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #80
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Can't we only move up a max 10 spots though? With the new rules. So picking in the top 11 still gives us a shot at 1, whereas 13 only gets us up to 3 if we win it
edit* my bad, the "you can only win twice in five years" starts in 2022.

The other changes take effect this draft.

So yeah, we're playing our way out of the lottery for the the top pick, and only #1 and #2 will be part of the lottery. #3 is not a lottery pick this season according to ESPN. If we win more than one of the three remaining games, we're effectively out of the lottery entirely.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-14-2021 at 09:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: