Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2020, 01:37 AM   #101
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will never give that embarrassment of a franchise credit for anything.

I have hated them since I was a kid. Every one of their players, coaches, management and owners.

And of course their fans. I want them to suffer for all eternity.

But that’s just me.

To each their own.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:04 AM   #102
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Flames can still be in the division lead come trade deadline day...
And just 4 points back of 1st place in the western conf.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:21 AM   #103
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Flames lose the tiebreaker against every single team. That is not good.
And also in goal differential. Every single team from St. Louis to Minnesota (1st to 11th in the conf.)
Old 02-20-2020, 03:42 AM   #104
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final scores
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/scores/2020-02-19
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/news/NHL-R...ate=02-19-2020

The good: the Coyotes and Bhawks lost and the Panthers won to screw the Leafs
The bad: the Avs won
The ugly: the Canucks and Oilers lost in OT

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 02-21-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:37 AM   #105
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
So I watched most of the game tonight and what I came away with is that Tippett has to be a really good coach at getting not great teams to play well. You watch that team and it is full of "who the hells" and "man that guy sucks" and yet I have to give them they played well tonight and in fact really took it to the B's tonight. If Calgary plays Boston this well on Friday(?), even if we lose I would be pretty happy with the effort. They play hard and they have good structure.
I have to give credit where credit is due. And I chose this thread to do it in because it is late and not many people will see this post and its not the E=NG thread so I can post somewhat positive stuff about the oilers without getting banned or hated on.
Now, as the title says "please have mercy"!
They play a much more disciplined game than the Flames but this is the advantage of having a head coach with a proven record of success. It's something Treliving as a GM needs get drilled in his noggin when hiring the next coach. None of this going with his gut, falling for the wiz kid interviewer, or the guy that flashed a bit in a short hockey tournament. There's plenty of proven head coaches available to hire this offseason and no excuse for getting this next hire wrong.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #106
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think it's really sad that a poster without many posts has to actively go to lengths to post their opinion in a thread they hope won't be seen by people who will ridicule them for going against the grain, even if it is mildly in favour of Edmonton. Goes to show just how difficult it can be for newer posters to fit in and escape the stigma they often face.

I agree, I think Tippett is a solid coach and good for that situation.
People on CalgaryPuck don't like the Oilers and so people are going to respond to positive comments about the Oilers with negative comments about the Oilers.

No one was hurt. It's all in good fun and I hope it always stays this way!
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #107
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They play a much more disciplined game than the Flames but this is the advantage of having a head coach with a proven record of success. It's something Treliving as a GM needs get drilled in his noggin when hiring the next coach. None of this going with his gut, falling for the wiz kid interviewer, or the guy that flashed a bit in a short hockey tournament. There's plenty of proven head coaches available to hire this offseason and no excuse for getting this next hire wrong.
A name to watch out for is Jon Cooper if the Lighting get eliminated in the first two rounds.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #108
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
So I watched most of the game tonight and what I came away with is that Tippett has to be a really good coach at getting not great teams to play well. You watch that team and it is full of "who the hells" and "man that guy sucks" and yet I have to give them they played well tonight and in fact really took it to the B's tonight. If Calgary plays Boston this well on Friday(?), even if we lose I would be pretty happy with the effort. They play hard and they have good structure.

I have to give credit where credit is due. And I chose this thread to do it in because it is late and not many people will see this post and its not the E=NG thread so I can post somewhat positive stuff about the oilers without getting banned or hated on.

Now, as the title says "please have mercy"!
The beautiful thing about this place is that, no, you don't have to give that garbage team any credit for anything ever.

And for the record, no one has been banned specifically for posting inappropriate flattery in the E=NG thread. Certainly not on the first offense.

Welcome to CP. Edmonton is no good.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #109
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually agree with you that Treliving's hiring practices for HCs is a big flaw. That said, "proven record of success" doesn't pan out as much as you might think. St. Louis went through a ton of proven coaches (inc. Hitchcock and Quenneville) and then won with Berube, who'd never gotten out of the first round (and had only been a HC for 2 seasons in Philly). Similar in Boston - Cassidy was a minor league coach with a year of HC way back, gets put in the drivers' seat when Julien got fired, lost in round one, then went to the finals 2 years later and has a really good team now. Jon Cooper - zero experience when he was put in.

Speaking of Julien, there's a really experienced guy who had success in Boston until he didn't and then his teams in Montreal sucked. Babcock got fired. Hitchcock failed badly in Edmonton.

Tippett's "proven record of success" is being out of the POs with Phoenix/AZ for 5 years in a row, and losing in round one more often than not whenever he did make it with Phoenix or Dallas.

So I think that, while Treliving needs to get his next coach pick right, it doesn't need to be based on experience - it needs to be based on personality, smarts, fit, etc.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #110
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coaches aren't miracle workers. The Blues had a lot of outstanding regular season teams under Hitchcock and Quenneville and simply couldn't get over the playoff hump. That happens to plenty of franchises and you just hope as in the case of the Capitals or Blues being a perennial contender that one season things finally work out in the playoffs and you win the elusive title. Do I realistically think even the best head coach in the world could win a cup in the next decade as Flames head coach? I certainly wouldn't put a lot of money on it given how many things have to go a team's way to win in the playoffs but I would expect several seasons of finishing first in the division/conference as well as getting out of the first round of the playoffs. You will never win a cup if you can't get out of the first round of the playoffs and only two Flames head coaches over the past 30 years have accomplished that feat. Coincidentally both of those coaches had extensive experience.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #111
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...You will never win a cup if you can't get out of the first round of the playoffs and only two Flames head coaches over the past 30 years have accomplished that feat. Coincidentally both of those coaches had extensive experience.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #112
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Coaches aren't miracle workers. The Blues had a lot of outstanding regular season teams under Hitchcock and Quenneville and simply couldn't get over the playoff hump. That happens to plenty of franchises and you just hope as in the case of the Capitals or Blues being a perennial contender that one season things finally work out in the playoffs and you win the elusive title. Do I realistically think even the best head coach in the world could win a cup in the next decade as Flames head coach? I certainly wouldn't put a lot of money on it given how many things have to go a team's way to win in the playoffs but I would expect several seasons of finishing first in the division/conference as well as getting out of the first round of the playoffs. You will never win a cup if you can't get out of the first round of the playoffs and only two Flames head coaches over the past 30 years have accomplished that feat. Coincidentally both of those coaches had extensive experience.
One of them had several years, usually with better personnel and never repeated it it. The other crapped out the next year, with at least as good a team. Hartley's best record was at his least experienced - in his first 4 years. Of course, he was given a team that had Sakic, Forsberg, and Roy, not to mention Lemieux, Hedjuk, Drury, Ozolinish, Foote, and later Fleury. Then a couple years later he gets Tanguay, Bourque and Blake just to round things out. That's five members of the HOF, plus a guy that was a former Conn Smythe winner in Lemieux. Gimme that team and I'm gonna have a good PO record too.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote