Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #441
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that they've done a good job with this. Limiting weeknights, emphasizing weekends and holidays, a big "super Sunday" with all teams in action to end the season, no split season, etc.

It genuinely does feel like it was well thought out, and the supporters were considered a fair bit. Last season there were little things like that random Friday night at home to Edmonton that didn't make much sense. Games vs. your only rival within driving distance need to be on a weekend or holiday.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #442
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Only two non-holiday weekday games is a pretty great schedule. Especially with having to work around the horses.
I am just glad that there isn't a nearly 2 month absence in the middle of summer I'll take a couple week day games over that.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #443
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The Cup games are on weekdays, but that's OK.

Can't wait to face an MLS club again. Fun times.

A reminder of what the Cup schedule is
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #444
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
A reminder of what the Cup schedule is

Spoiler!
Surely that will change with Ottawa now in there?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #445
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Sounds like the plan is to have them playoff against Master's Futbal to see who plays against Y9.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #446
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I would think/hope that Ottawa would take one of the spots from either Blainville or Masters, and then those two could play-in for that other remaining spot.

That would make the most sense and would not change anything about the Cavalry side of the bracket. But... this is the CSA's domain, so...

Edit: Or what TheIronMaiden suggests - get the Ontario rivalries going. I'm happy as long as there is a play-in of some sort and the rest remains intact.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 02-21-2020 at 02:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #447
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

While riding the big news day, here is an interesting article.

Quote:
Long, difficult road trips marred CPL clubs in 2019. In Year 2, things will be a bit different.

When tallied, the 2020 schedule means nearly 432,000 kilometres of travel – in the air or on the ground – for the eight clubs for an average of 54,000 kilometres over a 14-match away docket.

Is that a lot of travel? Yes. But it’s less than 2019, believe it or not. Clubs averaged over 60,000 kilometres of travel according to last year’s tally, marking a 10 per cent reduction in the club-by-club burden on making away matches.

Quote:
Total Kilometres Per CPL Club in 2020:
1. HFX Wanderers FC – 66,604 km
2. Pacific FC – 58,310 km
3. FC Edmonton – 57,180 km
4. Cavalry FC – 57,046 km
5. Atlético Ottawa – 50,756 km
6. Valour FC – 46,316 km
7. Forge FC – 48,126 km
8. York9 FC – 47,778 km
https://canpl.ca/article/how-the-202...-impacts-clubs
Old 02-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #448
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finding a good iCal subscription, especially this early, is tricky. And the club/league official "add to calendar" thing is through Stanza which I am not a fan of, and their server seems to be glitching anyway, so... I wanted it in my calendar so I made a .ics calendar that you can also subscribe to if you wish:

Copy and paste this link into your calendar of choice: https://calendar.google.com/calendar...blic/basic.ics

It should work with your favourite calendar platform, phone, etc. Please let me know if there are any errors or omissions and I can fix 'em up (or any general feedback). Cup games will be entered as they are officially confirmed with dates/times. Subscribing is better than importing because I will be keeping it current for the big cup run, any changes, etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #449
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Last Year, Calgary and Hamilton hosted the "Finals." Now, the CPL is just referencing a "Final," so it sounds like it's down to one game. Not sure how I feel about that.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #450
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Last Year, Calgary and Hamilton hosted the "Finals." Now, the CPL is just referencing a "Final," so it sounds like it's down to one game. Not sure how I feel about that.
I wonder if they'll do a neutral site every year and try to get a CFL type party going.

Edit: although that probably doesn't make sense with the playoff format because the top team wouldn't get to host a game at all.

Last edited by The Big Chill; 02-22-2020 at 11:40 AM.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #451
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

These bad boys should be arriving this week. We'll have these, flasks and toques at our meetup at the Rose and Crown next Saturday.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1231263917197819905

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #452
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/...607094785?s=19

https://twitter.com/ThomasNef2/statu...632423939?s=19

Rumours out there that Malonga might still be available and Tolisso could potentially be back on the market (Nef isn't the most reliable).

With 5 spots to fill I wouldn't mind signing Malonga, Tolisso, Serban, Eliot Simmons (who is at camp but no deal) and one of the USports guys (I'd prefer Moe el Gandour) to round out the roster. Thoughts?
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #453
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, Tissot would be the second best LB in the league, behind only de Jong. If Cavalry were to sign him and move Mavila to RB, we'd have the best fullback duo in the league. Ultimately I think that opportunity has passed.

As for Malonga, there's no room for him on the squad. Despite being second in the league in goals, I don't think many of the supporters want him back either. Just never seemed to want to play in Calgary.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #454
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm more of the opinion that we take him so nobody else can have him. For all his warts he was the second highest scorer in the league last season, I don't want him poaching goals off our goal line for somebody else.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #455
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Despite being second in the league in goals, I don't think many of the supporters want him back either. Just never seemed to want to play in Calgary.
Chris Drury: Soccer Edition
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #456
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thomas Nef reporting that Malyk Hamilton has reached a verbal agreement with Ottawa. Good move for him if it's gives him more opportunities, especially as an attacker. I think he has good potential and would have liked to see him back, especially considering he's a Calgary kid.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/...d-zela-langwa/
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #457
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hamilton was our only U21 player who got significant minutes last year, totalling nearly all of the required 1000 minutes for U21 players.

It's going to be interesting to see how we fill those minutes this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #458
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Hamilton was our only U21 player who got significant minutes last year, totalling nearly all of the required 1000 minutes for U21 players.

It's going to be interesting to see how we fill those minutes this season.
I suspect it'll be primarily Hernandez and Pepple getting those minutes. If the team brings back Loturi, I can see him getting some minutes too.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #459
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Hamilton rumor is true, it is a big loss. If this happens, did they take him and his u21 minutes for granted when negotiating this offseason? 14 league appearances including 12 starts and 2 CC appearances, team 11-2-3 in his games. Sure, no goals, and it was a "quiet" 1100 minutes, but he didn't play token minutes and certainly didn't show as any sort of weak link given his age, and he is the type of player they need to grow and develop with as a club.

Pepple, even if he is in better shape and has a fair bit more confidence than he showed last year, is still very young, very unlikely to get minutes like that up front.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #460
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
If the Hamilton rumor is true, it is a big loss. If this happens, did they take him and his u21 minutes for granted when negotiating this offseason? 14 league appearances including 12 starts and 2 CC appearances, team 11-2-3 in his games. Sure, no goals, and it was a "quiet" 1100 minutes, but he didn't play token minutes and certainly didn't show as any sort of weak link given his age, and he is the type of player they need to grow and develop with as a club.

Pepple, even if he is in better shape and has a fair bit more confidence than he showed last year, is still very young, very unlikely to get minutes like that up front.
It's an interesting situation for me. Most, if not all, of his starts last season were filling in at RB after we had two natural RBs go down with long term injuries (Serban and Northover). I think the fact he started so often was down to those injuries. Given our roster to this point, I think it's fair to say he was going to struggle to get minutes at his natural position as a wide attacking player. Perhaps signing another U-21 player who plays a similar role in Hernandez was a sign as well. It might just be a case where Hamilton wanted a better opportunity to play in his preferred position as an attacker and that's what Ottawa are offering.

I agree that it's an overall loss for Cavalry. He did a good job filling in at RB and I think he has good potential at his natural attacking position. At this point, Cavalry still need a natural RB and it's not clear how those U-21 minutes are going to be filled.

Last edited by ditty; 02-23-2020 at 04:08 PM.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:

Tags
fc edmonton is no good , footie , go cavs