Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #481
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Cooper says having the regular season they had is a blessing and a curse. Said that being so far in front they hadn't played a meaningful game in months and couldn't amp it up. Says that's not an excuse but the reality. It is true as I feel that there's not a magic switch where teams can just coast and then be ready to face a team that's been playing intense hockey for weeks. There's just too much parity now that any team playing their best hockey can beat an elite team that's not giving 100%.
I think there is a magic switch that has alot to do with emotion. Up to the coach to find it.

It was 3-0 Tampa after 1 period with Blue Jackets looking like the team that needed to amp up and did with one Torts speech.

Peters is good tactician, but can he find his inner Torts to flip that magic switch.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:06 AM   #482
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't remember such a monumental upset since the '94 Sharks beat the Wings, I believe it was in game 7, and Chris Osgood allowed a terrible Jamie Baker goal from about 50 ft out.

Good on Columbus for taking out the Dolts. If TO gets by Boston, it would be awesome if the leafs were the BJ's next victim. Going from shocking the President's Trophy winners to silencing leaf nation would be amazing. And then maybe squaring off against the defending champs in round 3? It'd be a hell of a story for a team that made huge gambles at the deadline only to barely make the playoffs.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:34 AM   #483
DMac
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bolts in 9. 5 game win streak in the cards - you heard it here first.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:40 AM   #484
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Shocking defeat. Columbus could turn this into a cup final run as they have to believe they can beat anyone.
They could also take the foot off the gas thinking it's easy now, sometimes your emotions peak too early.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:53 AM   #485
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before the series started:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Tampa in 4.

I can't believe that anyone is giving Columbus a chance in this series.

Yeah, yeah, "It's the playoffs, anything can happen!"

B.S. Tampa is a runaway favorite to go to the cup final. In a league full of parity, they established throughout the year that they were operating on another plane of existence.

Tampa Bay in 4, and it will be 4 very decisive wins. ZERO chance for the inconsistent Blue Jackets.

After game 1:

Quote:
Well CBJ gets a gift from Tampa. I can guarantee that won't happen again in this series. A team as good as Tampa Bay won't be blowing 3 goal leads on a regular basis.

That being said, momentum is everything. The Jackets have it now, so Tampa is going to have to have a very strong next game to turn it back in their favor.

I still think Tampa wins this series walking away, but I've been wrong before.
At least the bolded was true. Did Tampa have a lead again at any point in the series?

But that momentum shift was major. I said Tampa needed to have a strong 2nd game or they could be in trouble. They didn't, and they got in serious trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
This series has made idiots out of a lot of people.
True Mathgod, very true. Me = Idiot.

Quote:
Here's the problem with making predictions: It's based on past information. Since there was countless evidence to suggest that the first game from Tampa Bay was an aberration, it wasn't ridiculous to make the claims I did. I don't know why I'm being singled out for those thoughts when they would be perfectly rational at the time, but go ahead, pile on.

Hands up those of you who had Tampa Bay suddenly forgetting how to play hockey. A team that dominated everyone in the league, including the Flames who were the 2nd best team and the top team in the West. This was a team that had everything a team needs to roll through the playoffs. They still do. If they figure out how to respond to this situation appropriately and fix their mental approach/effort level etc., they will be their old unstoppable selves.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Tampa storm back in this series. It also wouldn't surprise me at this point to see the Blue Jackets win the series in 5 or 6 games. The landscape has shifted drastically for the Lightning, but I don't think anyone should have logically expected this to happen, at least not to this extent.
I honestly thought the Bolts would win at least one game, but momentum is an unpredictable thing. Every team should be scared of the other team gaining unstoppable momentum and confidence. It doesn't happen in every series, but when it does, it's nearly impossible to turn it around the other direction. This is what makes me most nervous about the Flames series at the moment.

That first game destroyed the confidence of Tampa Bay since they lost a game they normally easily win. Columbus was able to play loose since they grabbed a game that they probably should have lost. That does a lot to the psyche of a team, and Tampa could never turn the momentum the other way. Columbus plays well in the next couple, and now it's too late, so Tampa basically gives up.

It's not that I'm unfamiliar with this phenomenon in the NHL playoffs, it's just that I fully didn't expect it with this particular series. Who could have honestly predicted a complete collapse by Tampa? One of the worst choke jobs in NHL history, dare I say, all of sports history. This is one for the record books.

It's also scared me off from making any predictions whatsoever. What's funny is that most of my other series predictions are on track to be true so far, but this one looks sooooooo bad in hindsight.

I don't mind eating crow, but I'd prefer it in a Jamaican jerk sauce if that's okay with everyone.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #486
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
A lot of money was lost on Tampa tonight.

Good man for paying your bets.

The exact same amount of money was won on Columbus.

That’s how it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:48 AM   #487
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

This sport feels pretty damned random sometimes.

Because it is 100% of the time.

Better teams need less randomness to win, but in a short series, randomness is a huge factor.

The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #488
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
I don't remember such a monumental upset since the '94 Sharks beat the Wings, I believe it was in game 7, and Chris Osgood allowed a terrible Jamie Baker goal from about 50 ft out.
That was a big upset and another one had the Habs defeating the Capitals in 2010 with Halak being a goalie stud in that deciding game. The Caps were 33 points better than the Habs. Other upsets were the Ducks beating the Red Wings in 2003, Ducks beating the Sharks in 2009, the Sharks beating the Blues in 2000, and the Flames beating the bleeping Oilers in 1986!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 06:14 AM   #489
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game 4 final score

3 at 7

http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap126210.html
http://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/reca...=20&final=true
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...me-4-1.5100947
Old 04-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #490
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

TBL dominated the first period of the series
Old 04-17-2019, 06:34 AM   #491
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of Tampa fans calling for Cooper to be fired. How delusional do you have to be to think that the guy that coached you to 62 wins is the problem?

The problem is your team went 82 games without going cold. Your team went on it’s first cold streak for the first time all year. It just happened to come in the first round of the playoffs.

You play a beat of 7 series between those two teams 10 times and Tampa Bay probably wins 9 of them.

They went cold at a bad time and the Blue Jackets took advantage of it and completely outworked your team. That’s not on the coach.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #492
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

That’s how it works.

..?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #493
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That’s how it works.

um, no. lol

that's not how it works.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #494
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Tampon Bay...good for one period?
Nice one.

I'll bet you've been banking on this knee-slapper since the 2nd period of game 1!!
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #495
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

That’s how it works.
No, it's not. If money in equaled money out, then the bookies would make no money at all. There would be no point for them. The odds are all about risk mitigation, but mammoth upsets will usually result in losses.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #496
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Here's the problem with making predictions: It's based on past information. Since there was countless evidence to suggest that the first game from Tampa Bay was an aberration, it wasn't ridiculous to make the claims I did. I don't know why I'm being singled out for those thoughts when they would be perfectly rational at the time, but go ahead, pile on.

Hands up those of you who had Tampa Bay suddenly forgetting how to play hockey. A team that dominated everyone in the league, including the Flames who were the 2nd best team and the top team in the West. This was a team that had everything a team needs to roll through the playoffs. They still do. If they figure out how to respond to this situation appropriately and fix their mental approach/effort level etc., they will be their old unstoppable selves.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Tampa storm back in this series. It also wouldn't surprise me at this point to see the Blue Jackets win the series in 5 or 6 games. The landscape has shifted drastically for the Lightning, but I don't think anyone should have logically expected this to happen, at least not to this extent.
To the bolded part - I personally think it's because your posting style can come across as arrogant, and condescending. Maybe that's just me, and maybe that's not your intention, but I imagine that's why people are piling on. It's as if you think your opinions are above everyone else's.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #497
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
No, it's not. If money in equaled money out, then the bookies would make no money at all. There would be no point for them. The odds are all about risk mitigation, but mammoth upsets will usually result in losses.

Except in this case NOBODY (or very few people) bet on Columbus. I'd bet (lol) bookies made out like bandits.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #498
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
To the bolded part - I personally think it's because your posting style can come across as arrogant, and condescending. Maybe that's just me, and maybe that's not your intention, but I imagine that's why people are piling on. It's as if you think your opinions are above everyone else's.
The self-quoting doesn't help either.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #499
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Except in this case NOBODY (or very few people) bet on Columbus. I'd bet (lol) bookies made out like bandits.
I know. I didn't look, but imagine the juice people must have paid betting on Tampa.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #500
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
There's always people who bet on long shots. Especially if they get good odds. Like I said, risk mitigation. Bookies wanted people betting on Columbus - because that was where they expected to make their money: parting fools from their money.

According to Sporting News, the Lightning were at -350 and the Blue Jackets at +275. You'd practically have to bet $4 on Tampa to win $1, while betting $1 on Columbus could win $3. People like to chase the big win over the small, "safe" bet, and bookies rely on that.

Casesar's Palace, similarly, tried to minimize betting on Tampa - they had them at +250 to win the Cup. The team with the second best odds was San Jose at +800. Calgary was one of five teams tied with the third best odds at +1000. Columbus was second worst at +3000.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue jackets , columbus , lightning , tampa bay , torts