Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2022, 06:18 PM   #441
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Great crowd tonight. I hope we can get numbers like that every game.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:53 PM   #442
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing the Foot Soldiers crew again. Big crowd. Nice weather. 3 points.

What a perfect day of football.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2022, 07:31 PM   #443
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Missed going to the game in person (thanks for nothing covid), so watched it on Fubo.

Cavalry really took their chances, didn't have a ton of the ball otherwise. Thought Aird and Assi looked good. Yao was his usual awesome self. Will be nice to have a proper left back once Vliet is up and going. Thought Norman was really walking a tight rope of getting a 2nd yellow.

Crowd sounded fantastic, pitch looked great, and I can't wait to get out there soon.

Hopefully the team kicks on from here, let's destroy that amateur side up north on Friday.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2022, 08:56 PM   #444
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scenes in 200 after Ali Musse scored...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2022, 09:46 PM   #445
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Was a fun experience, will definitely head to more games this season. Realised as I left that I didn't pay for parking. Was I supposed to go somewhere special to do that? Nobody asked me at anytime to pay.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:12 AM   #446
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumours of Cavalry's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Great crowd, beauty day for the home opener!

Really liked finally seeing Charlie Trafford live, hope nothing is broken and he won't be out long. Saw him in a walking boot in the second half

Norman as a stay at home LB was a nice change of pace. Really allowed Escalante to bomb forward and try and create things. Kinda fun to play a different style. Let Pacific have all the ball and attack on the counter. Some ruthless finishing was great to see too.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #447
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Was a fun experience, will definitely head to more games this season. Realised as I left that I didn't pay for parking. Was I supposed to go somewhere special to do that? Nobody asked me at anytime to pay.
Glad you had fun Swift! Yeah you have to pay at one of the attendants before you enter the north or south lots. It's possible it was so busy that you just slipped through the cracks haha.

How did you find the venue / gameday experience??
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:32 AM   #448
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Do you have a parking pass of some sort hanging off your window? I have a Cavalry parking pass, and imagine an Impark? would look similar.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:53 AM   #449
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

The was really refreshing to be back at Spruce Meadows. Great crowd, decent weather, and the proper result.

Really happy for Carducci to be back, obviously. I didn't mind Roloff and I don't think that he could be blamed for any of first three games (the whole team was rather inept at times), but Carducci really brings something special to the team. And his save around the 61' mark was huge. That was Pacific's lifeline and he denied it. I like how Norman throws himself around, and he was really good in the air, but he could've easily found himself sent off on yellows. I also thought that Assi was reliable and confident. I also liked how Cavalry were pressing pretty high in the latter stages of the match instead of sitting back. Although it left a little bit of a void in the middle, it really denied Pacific the chance to build from the back, and they ended up squandering any time that they had in the middle anyway.

Foot Soldiers in fine form. I'm really glad that the club has trusted them with the smoke because that definitely adds something.

Spruce Meadows continues to get the gameday experience right. They now have a permanent club shop (instead of the gazebo things), food lines were efficient, music before and after, stuff for kids, etc. Just a nice place to mill around for an hour before kickoff. The parking situation wasn't too bad either. Getting out looked worse than it was, and it ended up moving pretty quickly. The improvements to Stoney and the Spruce Meadows access roads have helped a lot.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #450
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was very impressed by Assi, while far from being a complete player, his athleticism stood out. It is great to has a forward who can run defenders down and push the pace up field. I was looking him up today and learned he was born in 2004! Lots of room to grow as well.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #451
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Glad you had fun Swift! Yeah you have to pay at one of the attendants before you enter the north or south lots. It's possible it was so busy that you just slipped through the cracks haha.

How did you find the venue / gameday experience??
Getting in and out of the venue was a lot easier and quicker than expected, very smooth. We were seated in the middle of 107, so it was quite chilly there in the shade and the stand felt like a wind tunnel. Probably should have brought toques. Still it was neat to be seated near where most of the atmosphere seems to generate from, was louder than I expected. Great view too.

Anyone any thoughts on sitting behind the goal in the SW? Thinking of maybe trying that out next time.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:11 PM   #452
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I loved whatever the new semi-supporters club was that sprouted up in the top of 108. It was absolute chaos, but great to see a big block of engage fans. Some coordination with the Foot Soldiers may however be in order lol.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:13 PM   #453
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Abirim Pebble will be very interesting to see on the field. He was very strong 2 years ago and was an athletic specimen. I’m interested to see if he’s improved or not.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 01:54 PM   #454
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I loved whatever the new semi-supporters club was that sprouted up in the top of 108. It was absolute chaos, but great to see a big block of engage fans. Some coordination with the Foot Soldiers may however be in order lol.
Ultras 108? They've been around a while, just weren't at games last year.

It looks like there are now 5 main supporters groups (Foot Soldiers, Frontline Ultras, Ultras 108, The 109, The 203). Every group has their own style of support, and that type of thing is very hard to coordinate.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:03 PM   #455
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Ultras 108? They've been around a while, just weren't at games last year.

It looks like there are now 5 main supporters groups (Foot Soldiers, Frontline Ultras, Ultras 108, The 109, The 203). Every group has their own style of support, and that type of thing is very hard to coordinate.
No need to coordinate, so long as everyone keeps an ear open for each others chants.

That said, there should probably be a limit on how many drums are allowed, or the quality of the drummers. They need to keep time with each other.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #456
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
No need to coordinate, so long as everyone keeps an ear open for each others chants.
That's exactly what I mean by "coordinate". There were a few times one group got going with something, then the other just trampled all over it.

Again, awesome, but might help generate even more atmosphere if they key off each other a little more.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:20 PM   #457
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the layout of the South end there is absolutely a need for some coordination. I can't hear what's going on 10 seats from me. Then you have folks in 108 singing something completely different and folks in 203 singing something else it's just a bit crazy. But it beats the atmosphere at any other sport in this city...

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #458
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

On today's CPL Newsroom podcast, Tommy Wheeldon indicating that Cavalry had sold close to 2000 season tickets this year. When he met with us supporters in February 2020, he had stated at that time they had 1700 for 2020, and 1500 season tickets in 2019. Also mentioned he had heard 4200 for the season opener.

That type of organic growth is critical to growing a sustainable domestic league. You love to see it.

Last edited by shermanator; 05-02-2022 at 05:37 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #459
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Given the layout of the South end there is absolutely a need for some coordination. I can't hear what's going on 10 seats from me. Then you have folks in 108 singing something completely different and folks in 203 singing something else it's just a bit crazy. But it beats the atmosphere at any other sport in this city...
Sitting in 109 was hilarious on Sunday. You’ve got 3 different chants going on all around you from the 200s/108s/people trying to sing along with the Foot Soldiers but are a beat off

So much fun
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:50 AM   #460
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a fun day out. Good to see the stands full, and the fans into it! Liked the new permanent store, too. The pricing for most merch was on the higher end, but will keep my eyes peeled for deals.
A win was great, too!
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavalry , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good