Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #101
BlackWallStreet
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Glad we got treliving behind the wheel as it seems like he is well respected around the league
BlackWallStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #102
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Roger Millions was biting his tongue on firing day as well when it came to Weisbrod. Would love to pick his brain away from tv cameras and message boards.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #103
irrevocable
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope Linden and Weisbroad run that pathetic franchise into the ground.
irrevocable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #104
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was any thing mentioned about Weisbrod during the Benning introduction?

Also I forgot about the Cervenka center/ wing mix up. Wasn't Weisbrod lead scout that went over to Europe to convince him to sign with flames?

I liked Weisbrod, but the more I think of it and remember things I'm not sure why?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #105
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
According to Pierre Maguire in an interview on Team 1040 last year, Feaster and Weisbrod are not liked in the hockey community because they think they are smarter than everyone because of their ivy league and legal backgrounds.
That's pretty ironic coming from McGuire.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #106
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No kidding. Maguire is a big mouth fanboy. I think they should hire him. Wise broad would be ok too. I think he hid under his desk when Burke came to town.
Scoreface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #107
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seriously though where is this coming from? The Benning press conference made no mention of changing any of the staff, and confirmed that they wanted to keep working with their current two AGM (lots of "everyone here has a unique skillset, we'll work together as a team, etc etc" stuff). If anything, there was a bit of waffling on job security of the scouting staff. Nothing about one of the AGM's being on his way out at all.

This seems like a made-up rumour.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #108
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Seriously though where is this coming from? The Benning press conference made no mention of changing any of the staff, and confirmed that they wanted to keep working with their current two AGM (lots of "everyone here has a unique skillset, we'll work together as a team, etc etc" stuff). If anything, there was a bit of waffling on job security of the scouting staff. Nothing about one of the AGM's being on his way out at all.

This seems like a made-up rumour.
When asked about the place of Gilman and other staff, Linden completely side stepped the question. I expect changes to be made with that kind of response.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #109
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Lorne Henning might be gone. They are going to keep Gilman. I doubt it's Weisbrod who comes in.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #110
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Source? Or since you may be close to the team have you heard that?

I'm pulling for Weisbrod.
Scoreface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #111
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Lorne Henning might be gone. They are going to keep Gilman. I doubt it's Weisbrod who comes in.
Every GM needs his own right hand man. Gilman is a respected capologist so he would certainly be kept over Henning. Not sure what Henning brings besides having Cup rings and coaching experience. Maybe he will join the Oilers.

I think Weisbrod would be a quality addition to any NHL team's scouting or management staff. Some people talk about Benning and Weisbrod as if they were nobodies who happened to work for a successful organization. Meanwhile, these two men have held top positions for successful clubs and are considered respected men in hockey.

I've said it many times in Feaster threads that Feaster not being a good talent evaluator is a problem. He's the boss, yet he has no way to cross-check the work of his advisors. All along it just seems that whatever Weisbrod said pretty much goes for Feaster. On other teams this won't be a problem. You want a guy who is going to be out there scouting games and coming back and who will come back and not be afraid to speak his mind. With Feaster it's like you like him that much John? Okay we will go get him. With others it will be like you like him that much John? Okay I will make a trip down to see him.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #112
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoreface View Post
Source? Or since you may be close to the team have you heard that?

I'm pulling for Weisbrod.
Just pure speculation, from a lot of folks who tend to be pretty good at knowing the ebb and flow of the organization. Gilman makes sense to keep until another team offers him the big chair. Henning just never did much in my mind, so he makes sense.

After the MG firing, a guy like Weisbrod doesn't really seem like a good fit. The team is trying to get rid of the smarmy image, not reinforce it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #113
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I used to live in close proximity to a former NHL GM (the mods know who) and he told me that he called Chiarelli after Feaster hired Weisbrod and Chiarelli told this individual that Wesbrod scouted about 10 games for the Bruins and was nothing more than a big talker, and Chiarelli was happy to see John leave Boston. He said, the Bruins staff called him "Weisfraud".

He also had said Feaster went behind Dudley's back in Tampa and went straight to ownership and was telling ownership in Tampa that he is much better than Dudley and basically talked ownership into firing Dudley and hiring him.

Feaster was hired here in July of 2010. Darryl Sutter was fired in December of 2010. I wonder if history repeated itself.

I don't think either of these guys are well liked. I think that McGuire interview on 1040 is pretty accurate.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #114
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I used to live in close proximity to a former NHL GM (the mods know who) and he told me that he called Chiarelli after Feaster hired Weisbrod and Chiarelli told this individual that Wesbrod scouted about 10 games for the Bruins and was nothing more than a big talker, and Chiarelli was happy to see John leave Boston. He said, the Bruins staff called him "Weisfraud".

He also had said Feaster went behind Dudley's back in Tampa and went straight to ownership and was telling ownership in Tampa that he is much better than Dudley and basically talked ownership into firing Dudley and hiring him.

Feaster was hired here in July of 2010. Darryl Sutter was fired in December of 2010. I wonder if history repeated itself.

I don't think either of these guys are well liked. I think that McGuire interview on 1040 is pretty accurate.
Well if what you're saying is true, then there's no way Benning is hiring Weisbrod since Benning would also know him as "Weisfraud?" What doesn't make sense is that Weisbrod was hired after Chiarelli was hired and he was promoted under his watch. I suppose if this story is true the hiring and promotion was all Neely?

As for Feaster, he clearly wanted the GM job and didn't respect Dudley all that much.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #115
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

I presume you mean" he scouted 10 NHL games" with Boston. He was in charge of scouting college ranks and have to think he saw more than 10 games.

Didn't someone post that under his tender as college scout , Boston didn't pick one college player or maybe it was one college player picked?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #116
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Sportsnet Pacific ‏@SNETPacific
Weisbrod joins the #Canucks after serving three years as Assistant General Manager of Player Personnel with Calgary.

TSN Hockey ‏@TSNHockey
Vancouver Canucks announce John Weisbrod is VP, Player Personnel. #TSN #NHL #Canucks

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-07-2014 at 01:08 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #117
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #118
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #119
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Oh no! Now he's gonna be the Canucks architect. They are going to win the Stanley Cup for sure now.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #120
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess he's Weisly Brod-ening his career horizons.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post: