Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #81
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
You should read the Feaster/Weisbrod fired thread. He wasn't well liked there.

The reason Burke gave was that returns on trades were not enough, and drafting. When asked about Weisbrod, Burke just said Weisbrod was never around so he didn't really know him. When Peter Mahr was asked, he said Feaster/Weisbrod did not have a lot of respect among their peers in the NHL because they gave off the impression they were smarter then everyone else.

These are just the words from Burke and Peter Mahr, not my personal opinion.
I'm not disputing the Maher stuff, but I'd like to see a quote or source (from anyone) simply because Pete never says anything that might be considered negative about anyone. I'm kinda shocked if he did say something like that.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #82
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
I'm not disputing the Maher stuff, but I'd like to see a quote or source (from anyone) simply because Pete never says anything that might be considered negative about anyone. I'm kinda shocked if he did say something like that.
It's hard word for word to recollect what was said but there was kind of a 960 round table where they discussed Weisbrod that day and it wasn't overly positive. It stuck with me because we never really heard any of this stuff until after he was let go and you start hearing the stuff about his popularity around the league and some in organization not being happy about the Jankowski pick, etc.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #83
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Well its Peter Mahr, so its FAN960 radio. You could always email FAN960 for some audio clips if you really wish. Best I know, FAN960 only keeps their on demand content for 1 week. It is discussed somewhere here on CP as well, which you are free to search for as well. This was the day or day after Feaster was canned.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #84
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

My memory of Burke's comments on Weisbrod were that they had different ideas on building a team and sounded like he really wasn't a fan of the guy more than he was never around.

Don't recall the Maher comments.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
My memory of Burke's comments on Weisbrod were that they had different ideas on building a team and sounded like he really wasn't a fan of the guy more than he was never around.

Don't recall the Maher comments.
I think the question asked to Burke was his relationship with Weisbrod and he said they didn't have one as they barely talked and he wasn't around much. Something to that effect.

I don't think any assistant GM would make a positive impression on his new boss if he didn't at least go out of his way to discuss business with him and try to get to know him. Seems like Weisbrod just did his own thing.

Given how he has a past relationship with Benning I imagine things may work out better there. I would think at the very least Canucks fans will be seeing more players drafted from US college in the future for better or worse. Not that their drafting can get much worse.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #86
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would think at the very least Canucks fans will be seeing more players drafted from US college in the future for better or worse.
You spelled High School wrong.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #87
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canucks fans are all over this and actually more resourceful as I lifted this from a current thread there Boomer tweeting what Burke said;

Quote:
Dean Molberg ‏@fan960boomer 21s
As for John Weisbrod: mysterious. Hardly saw him, rarely spoke to him. Hard to evaluate his work given we never knew for certain what he did.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #88
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Canucks fans are all over this and actually more resourceful as I lifted this from a current thread there Boomer tweeting what Burke said;
That quote from Boomer pretty much sums up my feelings on Weisbrod. Who the heck even knows what he did or was responsible for?

I remember he spoke at one of the season ticket holder events at Flames Central and sounded intelligent... and the Jankowski pick is, I guess, his pick. Other than that, what do we know about him? Seems weird in a hockey crazy market like this he was able to keep such a low profile.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #89
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well he was with Boston when they liked Gaudreau, but waited too long to get him in the draft. He was with Calgary when you could say they jumped the gun and drafted Janikowski too early. So if he can keep operating that way in Vancouver, I say good thing.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #90
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

With some saying he wasn't well liked around the league, I'd love to know why. Seems like a mysterious dude. Wasn't around much, people never heard from him, working on the Penske file, not well liked.

I'm sure if the Canucks actually do hire him, I'm sure a lot more past info will come out about him.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #91
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
With some saying he wasn't well liked around the league, I'd love to know why. Seems like a mysterious dude. Wasn't around much, people never heard from him, working on the Penske file, not well liked.

I'm sure if the Canucks actually do hire him, I'm sure a lot more past info will come out about him.
I appears to be because of perceived arrogance or pretension.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #92
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bruins should have drafted Gaudreau in the 3rd round if they were so high on the guy. Instead of the Anthony Camara guy that probably will never be an NHLer.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #93
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canucks fans are nervous and digging up a lot of dirt on Weisbrod and stuff like this fanning the fire;

Quote:
”I’ve just seen the guy who’s going to be – 10 years from now – he’s going to be talked about as the best player in this draft.” A bit later on, Weisbrod himself said, “He’s Joe Nieuwendyk.”
Old 05-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #94
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what other positive (or negative) aspects that Weisbrod brought other than having the Flames' scouting staff overlap their respective territories so that they could have more informed opinions on the same prospects. Most (? I think) NHL organizations do this, but the Flames did not do so until Weisbrod was added. Not sure they are still doing this, but it seemed like a positive move so that at the end of the year when they are putting their list in order, they will have more valuable information when the staff 'fights' for their guys. Seemed logical.

As for anything else - who knows? He definitely did NOT bring the 'high hockey IQ' and 'high character' traits with respect to drafting, as it was established as important before he got here. He helped to reinforce that aspect, but it was nothing new to the Flames' scouting organization. No clue what else he really brought.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #95
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The guy was supposed to be the assistant GM and he never talked to the President. Doesn't that seem really strange for someone high in management not to discuss some player/personnel agendas his new boss? Bizarre actually. When I heard that I was very surprised. I wonder if Weisbrod maybe played a role in Feaster being let go as he obviously didn't seem keen to work with Burke and he was Feaster's right hand man which means they were a package deal.
I won't be surprised if Weisbrod was unhappy. He took the job thinking he would have a big say in building the team. With Burke here, Weisbrod probably felt his voice wasn't going to be heard as much.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #96
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canucks fans are nervous and digging up a lot of dirt on Weisbrod and stuff like this fanning the fire;
That's quite the bit of dirt! Using Nieuwendyk as a comparable for Jankowski? Wow! Never heard that before, or said that myself, after actually watching Providence in action. What scandal! What an outrage to even suggest as much! Weisbrod should be charged with war crimes and hung.

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #97
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

So when is this 'hiring' actually going to be announced? I've only seen speculation across the interwebs on the matter.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #98
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
”I’ve just seen the guy who’s going to be – 10 years from now – he’s going to be talked about as the best player in this draft.” A bit later on, Weisbrod himself said, “He’s Joe Nieuwendyk.”

IIRC this was Feaster telling the media what Weisbroad said after scouting Janks. I always thought Feaster was deliberately telling this story publicly to remove himself from the responsibility of picking Janks.
bucksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #99
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksmasher View Post
Quote:

IIRC this was Feaster telling the media what Weisbroad said after scouting Janks. I always thought Feaster was deliberately telling this story publicly to remove himself from the responsibility of picking Janks.
Maybe. The talk at least at HF and what the 960 guys said is that King and some others in the organization weren't happy with the pick. It could be Weisbrod wasn't happy about his role in the draft being reduced which is why he didn't really put much of an effort into having a relationship with Burke. Maybe after the Jankowski pick he was a guy King and the owners wanted to get rid of him anyway and it was one of those mutual things. Or maybe he's just one of those guys the walks to the beat of a different drum and does his own thing. Who knows but I'm kind of hoping he goes to the Canucks as one way or another he will be a good hire or a terrible hire and I'm hoping for the latter and it's not that I want him to fail as it's that I want the Canucks to fail.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-24-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #100
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to Pierre Maguire in an interview on Team 1040 last year, Feaster and Weisbrod are not liked in the hockey community because they think they are smarter than everyone because of their ivy league and legal backgrounds.

This was right after the ROR fiasco.

I generally liked what I heard from Weisbrod on the interviews he did; however, I don't know that the results were there. I believe the following major acquisitions were because of Weisbrod:

Wideman, was with him in Boston I believe. I never liked this signing and still hate it to this day. He's just not a very good defenceman. He's a poor man's Phaneuf, and Phanuef isn't even all that good anymore.

Hudler, I guess this was an okay pick up.

Cervenka, best player not in the NHL, best centre not in the NHL, wasn't even a center.

Jankowski, jury is still out.

Plus there were always rumours of the Flames having strong interest in players who seemingly weren't all that special. Guys like Matt Read, Matt D'agostino, Maxime Macenauer, Ben Hanowski, Mark Cundari, Kenny Agostini, Matt Bartkowski, Reto Berra, etc.

Its like everytime I heard a Flames rumour or trade, it always involved some guy or prospect I've never heard of. Again that whole, Feaster/Weisbrod knowing better than everyone else thing.