Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #61
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Benning is to the Canucks what MacT is to the Oilers. They are old balls club guys.

I for one really like what's going on there. They're building something special too.

Last edited by Scoreface; 05-21-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Scoreface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #62
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If this is true do the Canucks keep Laurence Gilman as AGM?
Ring of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #63
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
So if this is true, who are they firing? Or do they plan to have 3 AGMs?
I think Henning might just have his role changed, he was an AGM but technically in charge of player personel

Gillman and Weisbroad will likely be the two main AGM's, Gilman on the financial side with cap/contracts, Weisbroad more on the scouting side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring of Fire View Post
If this is true do the Canucks keep Laurence Gilman as AGM?
Linden wants to keep him, and Gilman said the only job he would leave for is a full GM job
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #64
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoreface View Post
Benning is to the Canucks what MacT is to the Oilers. They are old balls club guys.

I for one really like what's going on there. They're building something special too.
How is that anything like MacT to the Oilers? He was director scouting for the Ducks for six years, and has spent the last eight years as Boston's AGM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #65
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
How is that anything like MacT to the Oilers? He was director scouting for the Ducks for six years, and has spent the last eight years as Boston's AGM.
Because he played for them?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #66
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoreface View Post
Because he played for them?
That's your only criteria?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #67
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I think Weisbroad's main problem was(is?), is his tunnel vision. Feaster had the same problem. Once either of them got focused on a player or prospect them zeroed in on them and because too focused. I think you saw that with Feaster in regards to Byron and Weisbroad with Jankowski.
agreed here

Since the 2011 draft was all Tod Button, look at the 2012 draft and the returns for Iginla/Bouw..... ya I'm not impressed. Take him, please Vancouver. I hope he shapes the mould of your team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It was stated by Boomer and Steinberg on 960 the day the news broke that Weisbrod and Feaster was fired that his influence on the 2013 draft was reduced after the 2012 draft. They also said he wasn't popular around the league.
Peter Mahr said the same thing.... he wasn't well liked around the league
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggysback05 View Post
The biggest take away for me upon Weisbrod's dismissal and it was claimed by Flames staff and media members alike - he wasn't really around all that much.

It struck me as a little disappointing that an assistant GM of an Alberta team would spend the majority of his time on the east coast.
Agreed. At the time Burke canned Feaster/Weisbrod, when asked about Weisbrod, he simply just said he didn't really know him cause he was never around. I don't think he was ever in Calgary at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #68
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Racki View Post
Totally agree with this. I have worked with many people like this over a long career. The phrase "what does he/she actually do???" comes up a lot. Along with resentment over them earning a paycheque for ..... ???

In my experience, people like that are all hot air but have managed to land themselves a good paying position because they have pulled the wool over the eyes of the right people. Not saying this is Weisbrod because I have never met him. But everything I heard after his firing led me to the expectation that he is "that guy". And btw, it is ALWAYS a guy like Burke who identifies "that guy" in an organization and gets him the hell out.
He was looking after the Penske file...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #69
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Racki View Post
Totally agree with this. I have worked with many people like this over a long career. The phrase "what does he/she actually do???" comes up a lot. Along with resentment over them earning a paycheque for ..... ???

In my experience, people like that are all hot air but have managed to land themselves a good paying position because they have pulled the wool over the eyes of the right people. Not saying this is Weisbrod because I have never met him. But everything I heard after his firing led me to the expectation that he is "that guy". And btw, it is ALWAYS a guy like Burke who identifies "that guy" in an organization and gets him the hell out.
LOL, Vlad put it best in the post previous to mine... he was on the Penske file . He was supposed to be the mastermind behind the "best player not in the NHL" and we get caught with our pants down that he can't play center in the NHL. And why was he never in Calgary?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #70
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand how someone can say Weisbrod did a great job hear or a terrible job for the Flames. The fact is that nobody here knows how what he had his fingers in while employed by the Flames. Except for Jankowski pick I have no idea what he did.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #71
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes me laugh that some of those people calling Weisbrod a genius while he was still here are the ones calling him terrible AGM, all talk and no action. Maybe because he is rumoured to be with our arch-rival Vancouver Canucks. I am sure if the rumour is for Pittsburgh or Washington AGM position people's attitude towards him will be different. Actually I like Weisbrod. He seems like an intelligent person and knows what he wants. Too bad it didn't work out for him here. I am sure the old school Brian Burke doesn't agree with Weisbrod new system that's why he got fired. I am hoping the rumour of him going to Canucks is not true.. I think this rumour started when someone from CP mentioned that Benning used to work with Weisbrod in Boston and JB will bring him along as AGM.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #72
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
It makes me laugh that some of those people calling Weisbrod a genius while he was still here are the ones calling him terrible AGM, all talk and no action. Maybe because he is rumoured to be with our arch-rival Vancouver Canucks. I am sure if the rumour is for Pittsburgh or Washington AGM position people's attitude towards him will be different. Actually I like Weisbrod. He seems like an intelligent person and knows what he wants. Too bad it didn't work out for him here. I am sure the old school Brian Burke doesn't agree with Weisbrod new system that's why he got fired. I am hoping the rumour of him going to Canucks is not true.. I think this rumour started when someone from CP mentioned that Benning used to work with Weisbrod in Boston and JB will bring him along as AGM.
You should read the Feaster/Weisbrod fired thread. He wasn't well liked there.

The reason Burke gave was that returns on trades were not enough, and drafting. When asked about Weisbrod, Burke just said Weisbrod was never around so he didn't really know him. When Peter Mahr was asked, he said Feaster/Weisbrod did not have a lot of respect among their peers in the NHL because they gave off the impression they were smarter then everyone else.

These are just the words from Burke and Peter Mahr, not my personal opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 11:57 PM   #73
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
You should read the Feaster/Weisbrod fired thread. He wasn't well liked there.

The reason Burke gave was that returns on trades were not enough, and drafting. When asked about Weisbrod, Burke just said Weisbrod was never around so he didn't really know him. When Peter Mahr was asked, he said Feaster/Weisbrod did not have a lot of respect among their peers in the NHL because they gave off the impression they were smarter then everyone else.

These are just the words from Burke and Peter Mahr, not my personal opinion.
Yeah, they gave that impression to us fans as well, talking like we were fans from the ECHL Orlando Solar Bears.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 AM   #74
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Benning is such a Weis guy.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:02 AM   #75
YogiBerra
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Weisbrod is just as culpable for all of the moves Feaster made while here. Feaster deferred to his employees, according to him, and his AGM is his right hand man. If the players we have drafted turn out maybe he could make up for the sub par performance in other areas but at best he is breaking even. Glad we got rid of him.
YogiBerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #76
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
That's your only criteria?
Trevor Linden as well..
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #77
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a good move for the canucks, i liked wesibrod as a flame, didn't have any major issues in his picks (i was fine with the jankowski pick).

I think the nucks are having a solid offseason in revamping their management group. I think they are likely going to be doing some major moves at the draft, the only question is whether they try to acquire youth/picks or try to build out a decent nhl roster to compliment the sedins and a decent defence.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #78
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I was a fan of Weisbroad in the early going. He seemed like a guy that knew what he was talking about

When stuff came out about he and Feaster thinking they were smarter than everyone else and the league wide perception of the Flames was poor from a management standpoint I am glad Burke pulled the trigger.

I am happy for Weisbroad but I am not sure Vancouver is getting anything special here. I also am very pleased with the Flames organizational changes moving in the right direction.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #79
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The bi-polar views on Weisbrod on this forum never cease to amaze me.

For a while he was the wonder child, given credit for sunshine and the shape of Jennifer Aniston's breasts. Now he is garbage, and personally responsible for global warming climate change.

The guy did some good things here and made some good draft picks. He also made some mistakes. Shocking.

I think he would be a pretty good AGM for Benning (unfortunately)
I for one never really saw the big deal about Jennifer Aniston. Weisbrod can take Jennifer Aniston and her unremarkable boobs to the Canucks.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Agreed. At the time Burke canned Feaster/Weisbrod, when asked about Weisbrod, he simply just said he didn't really know him cause he was never around. I don't think he was ever in Calgary at all.
The guy was supposed to be the assistant GM and he never talked to the President. Doesn't that seem really strange for someone high in management not to discuss some player/personnel agendas his new boss? Bizarre actually. When I heard that I was very surprised. I wonder if Weisbrod maybe played a role in Feaster being let go as he obviously didn't seem keen to work with Burke and he was Feaster's right hand man which means they were a package deal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote