Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #1501
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The Flames are about to get a ridiculous influx of talent into the professional ranks. Arnold, Agostino, Van Brabant, Culkin, and Kulak are all headed to the pros. You can likely add Poirier and Gaudreau to that list, and there is still an outside chance that Klimchuk and Gilles find their way into the pro ranks as well. The Flames also have five picks in the first 90 in the upcoming draft, so the cupboard will become even more stocked with another player that may be ready come camp. Heady times for Flames fans and reason to believe the rebuild will not be as long as some have suggested.
Yup it is nice to see, hopefully they can translate well to the pro ranks and Klimchuk joins the heat as of tomorrow, so he can be added to the list.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #1502
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 5m
According to @gdrinnan Morgan Klimchuk @NHLFlames prospect has been assigned to AHL Abbotsford. @gdrinnan makes few errors, bet he's right.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #1503
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The Flames are about to get a ridiculous influx of talent into the professional ranks. Arnold, Agostino, Van Brabant, Culkin, and Kulak are all headed to the pros. You can likely add Poirier and Gaudreau to that list, and there is still an outside chance that Klimchuk and Gilles find their way into the pro ranks as well. The Flames also have five picks in the first 90 in the upcoming draft, so the cupboard will become even more stocked with another player that may be ready come camp. Heady times for Flames fans and reason to believe the rebuild will not be as long as some have suggested.
Obviously we have to temper expectations till these kids actually do something in the NHL, but it's really hard not to get excited as a Flames fan about so many prospects with potential. The credit has to go to Jay Feaster and his team. He may not have been that great at trades, but his execution at drafting seems to have been a major step up from the Sutter years.

Having said that, I still think we are missing that bonafide elite level Forward and D-man. This is why it would be pretty nice to finish Top 3 in drafting one of these years.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #1504
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Haven't seen a Rafikov update in a while.

Finished the regular season:
47 GP 8G 12A 20PTS +30 46PIM
3 Even strength goals
3 Power play goals
2 Shorthanded goals
1.9 SOG/G

His MHL (Russian Junior League) got knocked out of the playoffs in the 2nd round. His team was the #1 seed in the western conference
7GP 0G 0A 0Pts -2 2PIM
1 SOG/G

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-31-2014 at 09:31 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #1505
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any news to the rumour that Rafikov might come over to play junior hockey next year? Would be awesome.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #1506
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a a (cautiously) amazing year for the flames' prospects. I feel really bad for Seiloff though. Thought he was going to have a real stand-out year.

How does a full year off typically affect a prospect of his age/position's development curve?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #1507
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Any news to the rumour that Rafikov might come over to play junior hockey next year? Would be awesome.
Nothing yet, the CHL import draft is in July. If his agent was smart he would start seeding rumors that he will stay in Russia unless a particular team(s) drafts him. That way he goes to the city/team of his choice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #1508
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
It's been a a (cautiously) amazing year for the flames' prospects. I feel really bad for Seiloff though. Thought he was going to have a real stand-out year.

How does a full year off typically affect a prospect of his age/position's development curve?
The first couple of seasons as a pro are probably the most important developmentally, so we may have to temper our expectations a bit. Physically it'll take quite some time for him to get back to the shape he was in and he'll be starting from scratch in terms of learning the curbs in the AHL.

On the bright side, Sieloff is still very young (not quite 20 years old) so he was way ahead of the game to be in the pros anyway. He seems to have an awesome attitude and I have no doubt he'll work his arse off to get back to where he was.

He reminds me so much of Regehr in lots of different ways. Regehr had that horrific double-leg fracture which sidelined him for a year, and look how he turned out!
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #1509
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Obviously we have to temper expectations till these kids actually do something in the NHL, but it's really hard not to get excited as a Flames fan about so many prospects with potential. The credit has to go to Jay Feaster and his team. He may not have been that great at trades, but his execution at drafting seems to have been a major step up from the Sutter years.

Having said that, I still think we are missing that bonafide elite level Forward and D-man. This is why it would be pretty nice to finish Top 3 in drafting one of these years.
Completely agree, the last couple of drafts have kicked ass and there is a lot to be excited about in the future!

I just want to throw in that Darryl Sutter deserves credit for building up the scouting within the organisation which would have played a huge part in identifying a lot of the talent that was selected during Feaster's tenure.

Last edited by Scoutski; 03-31-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #1510
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutski View Post
I just want to throw in that Darryl Sutter deserves credit for building up the scouting within the organisation which would have played a huge part in identifying a lot of the talent that was selected during Feaster's tenure.
IIRC Feaster let a lot of scouts go after he was made GM. Brought in a lot of his own people
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #1511
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
IIRC Feaster let a lot of scouts go after he was made GM. Brought in a lot of his own people
I was unaware of that, my apologies
Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #1512
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seem to remember Feaster increasing the size of the department as well.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #1513
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regardless, we've come along way from the days of Chuck Kobasew spending time with Carolina's farm team during the lockout. We've got a stable farm team with what looks to be some great management and coaching and who appear to be doing a great job of teaching our kids how to play the pro game.

We can at least say that if a kid washes out, it's at least partly their fault, if not largely so. That's a nice change.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #1514
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Here is a great breakdown from Freeway on the changes.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...52&postcount=8
Old 03-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #1515
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

And there have been even more changes subsequently.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:52 PM   #1516
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah I think Carl Hagelins brother works for the Flames now as a European scout
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #1517
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

Different position but Bouma missed a whole year. He's looking like a core piece in the bottom six moving forward..

And dont be surprised if Ferland has a whole year off too...
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #1518
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Here is a great breakdown from Freeway on the changes.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...52&postcount=8
Thanks for the link, I'm really not sure what I was referring to then? I'm nervous in saying so, but I seem to recall reading that before Darryl Sutter there were very few scouts without much structure, but maybe it was actually about Feaster..?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #1519
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the link, I'm really not sure what I was referring to then? I'm nervous in saying so, but I seem to recall reading that before Darryl Sutter there were very few scouts without much structure, but maybe it was actually about Feaster..?
It was worse before Sutter IIRC. Weren't we a video tape scouting team for a while?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #1520
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sutter still expanded the scouting department. It has kind of been a work in progress.

Sutter took over as GM. Slowly added scouts over the years (with turnover), kick-started the Heat.

Feaster took over and continued increasing the scouting department (with turnover).

This is why I am a bit hesitant about Burke - got rid of Weisbrod, which may be a positive/negative/neutral move, but Burke definitely has had some poor scouting departments under him. I am still rather optimistic as I haven't heard of other changes thus far, but I am sure there will be a couple of moves.

Don't most teams have some sort of a turnover in their scouting department on a yearly basis? There seems to be a group of more experienced scouts (usually guys with the titles, or longer-termed scouts that have longer associations with the GM's/directors of scouting), with some flux every season with other scouts.

Not sure who may be privy to the answer of this question - but how much input does Todd Button have with hiring scouting staff (or had under different GMs)? I would prefer that he have more control in his own department, as it seems to be a more stable position considering the number of years he has worked for the Flames. Just curious as to what input he has had with respect to the methodology in regards to scouting and identifying the specific traits that the Flames have been targeting that seemed to have started under the last couple of years of the Sutter tenure.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote