Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2024, 07:02 PM   #8621
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just got completely blindsided by "One Life". Great Rotten Tomatoes score at 90% and Anthony Hopkins, figured I should check it out. Powerful story, Hopkins plays a man who is incredibly humble and downplays the things he did before the 2nd World War to save hundreds of lives. Hopkins is incredible, the flashbacks were intertwined perfectly along with the pacing. Just a great film done very, very well. 8/10
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:59 PM   #8622
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
#### Bro, you should totally watch it at least twice.

I can't believe you haven't yet.

It is must see TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What a ####ing horrible show.

I'll never get my time back.

I was so pissed I recommended it to all my friends so we could all complain together.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:24 AM   #8623
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
The real travesty is not having Rocketman on this list. Should be top 5 even.
That's a hot take. Rocketman as a top 5 musical of all time.
also a bad take. Rocketman shouldn't even sniff the top 20 or 30, even on a day where we're being generous.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:58 AM   #8624
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually love me a musical. Everyone in the fam loved Sound of Music when I was a kid, and then it expanded into Oklahoma and Carousel (love Gordon McRae's voice) and State Fair.

Then my sister introduced me to Newsies, which I still love to this day. The Broadway version is pretty awesome too, but Christian Bale singing and dancing? Sold.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:38 AM   #8625
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
That's a hot take. Rocketman as a top 5 musical of all time.
also a bad take. Rocketman shouldn't even sniff the top 20 or 30, even on a day where we're being generous.
Ya these "classics" like West Side Story or Singing in the Rain? Yawn.

Give me a sweet musical about Elton John any day of the week.
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:43 AM   #8626
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty strange to exclude Grease. And yeah Rocketman too. Just by pure popularity and strength of the music.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:48 PM   #8627
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just watched Roadhouse. It's a pretty decent 'turn your brain off' movie.

MILES better than Argylle. I took the better part of 8 days to finish that crock of sh*t.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:26 AM   #8628
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the original 50s version of 12 Angry Men Monday night. It was so good I watched it again last night. Made in the 50s but wow, does it hold up well today. The characters, the dialogue, the slang, the camera work, the story. Everything is awesome about it. I watched the HD version and I swear it could have been made recently, it was so well shot. Amazing movie.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 11:01 AM   #8629
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I watched the original 50s version of 12 Angry Men Monday night. It was so good I watched it again last night. Made in the 50s but wow, does it hold up well today. The characters, the dialogue, the slang, the camera work, the story. Everything is awesome about it. I watched the HD version and I swear it could have been made recently, it was so well shot. Amazing movie.
Sidney Lumet. A very underrated director (also directed Serpico, Network and Dog Day Afternoon). Beautiful camerawork considering it was a one room drama.

It's so ####ing good. I love it when people discover great older films. Now go and watch Inherit The Wind, directed by Stanley Kramer and starring Spencer Tracy. A slightly fictionalized version of the famous Scopes Monkey Trial in the 1920's.

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 11:15 AM   #8630
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge recommendation to Late Night With the Devil. I know many people in this thread will love it. The level of tension and unsettling feeling during the entire movie is off the charts. It was so well done, with some terrific acting performances. I had trouble sleeping last night after seeing it, that hadn't happened to me in years. I still felt in a hypnotic state of suggestion. It's not scary in a sense, but may leave you traumatised.

I also saw Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey II which also may leave you traumatised for other reasons... it's a step up from the first, yet still quite terrible. It has a bigger budget, and the gore/splatter gets an upgrade, and they're building a universe. Yet it's still quite terrible. If they used the characters properly there might be a movie there. They don't do that... it's basically just guys in costumes ripping off better horror movies. Trash. There's so much you could do ripping off these characters, yet they don't do that; it feels like a massive waste of an opportunity.

See Late Night With the Devil though. In theatres if possible, with an audience. That's the way it's meant to be seen.

trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
AC, Itse
Old 03-27-2024, 11:31 AM   #8631
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Sidney Lumet. A very underrated director (also directed Serpico, Network and Dog Day Afternoon). Beautiful camerawork considering it was a one room drama.

It's so ####ing good. I love it when people discover great older films. Now go and watch Inherit The Wind, directed by Stanley Kramer and starring Spencer Tracy. A slightly fictionalized version of the famous Scopes Monkey Trial in the 1920's.

I need to see that.

The original Caine Mutiny with Bogart is a great courtroom drama. The new one directed by William Friedkin is also worth watching. He, along with Lance Reddick, died before it was released.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 12:48 PM   #8632
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is Sidney Lumet underrated? He's pretty widely accepted as a great director.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:59 PM   #8633
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
How is Sidney Lumet underrated? He's pretty widely accepted as a great director.
I suspect it's one of those things that as time goes on, and we get further away from New Hollywood, any of those era of filmmakers that aren't still alive or working aren't thought about much by younger folks. Some folks probably only know Marty because of that Marvel quote from a few years back.

Hell, Billy Wilder and James Whale are amazing directors, freaks like us know them. General movie appreciators, less so.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 03:12 PM   #8634
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I suspect it's one of those things that as time goes on, and we get further away from New Hollywood, any of those era of filmmakers that aren't still alive or working aren't thought about much by younger folks. Some folks probably only know Marty because of that Marvel quote from a few years back.

Hell, Billy Wilder and James Whale are amazing directors, freaks like us know them. General movie appreciators, less so.
Yes, thank you. That was sort of my point. Lumet is regarded highly for film buffs and anyone over 50, but he's being forgotten by the masses. That was my implication.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:16 PM   #8635
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yes, thank you. That was sort of my point. Lumet is regarded highly for film buffs and anyone over 50, but he's being forgotten by the masses. That was my implication.
related I'm pretty sure there are folks who have seen Eyes Wide Shut and don't know who Sydney Pollick is besides his role in that movie.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:08 PM   #8636
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Underworld is one of the last hurrahs for the action film genre before the dawn of the comic book movie age. The film packs loads of hyper-stylish action sequences, and boasts an admiral commitment to world-building.

What rather caught me off guard was its weird blend of practical effects, grungy CGI, and gothic tone that surprisingly holds up after two decades.

It's deserving of appreciation for its earnest dedication to gloomy and unwavering seriousness.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:47 AM   #8637
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Underworld is one of the last hurrahs for the action film genre before the dawn of the comic book movie age. The film packs loads of hyper-stylish action sequences, and boasts an admiral commitment to world-building.

What rather caught me off guard was its weird blend of practical effects, grungy CGI, and gothic tone that surprisingly holds up after two decades.

It's deserving of appreciation for its earnest dedication to gloomy and unwavering seriousness.
Go watch the original Crow with Bruce Lee's kid
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 09:19 AM   #8638
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Underworld 1&2 are awesome.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:39 AM   #8639
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

For local film fans - 2001: A Space Odyssey is playing at the Plaza! This MUST be seen on a big screen a least once. I'm taking my wife and offspring and hoping they'll be both amazed and massively confused.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 10:44 AM   #8640
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I'm surprised you're so positive about the 4K release, apparently all 3 of the Cameron remasters (Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies) have been botched with bad AI denoising to the point of waxy visuals throughout.

Maybe The Abyss is the best looking of the 3, because these look like they're from a videogame:

Edit: Yeah, looking deeper it sounds like there's evidence that The Abyss had a new 4K scan at least, and as a result had better AI results. Whereas Aliens and True Lies were just upscales from their previous 2K scans, so the DNR applied causes much waxier results.
I honestly don't see the point in any 4K remasters. New movies shot in 4K are fantastic and there's a clear difference between them and 1080p versions, but I have yet to see any older movie with a 4K remaster that actually made a difference. I downloaded a 4K remux of Back to The Future and did a comparison to the 1080p version I already had, couldn't tell them apart. It just seems pointless when most 4K TV's already do a great job of upscaling 1080p content
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote