Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #181
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little tepid on this. Did Alberta actually win, or are we still in a holding pattern waiting for the court to decide? Seems like a real victory would've been them dropping this altogether?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #182
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its a win but not a win.

It allows us to ship bitumen through the pipeline at our normal volume. But construction is still on a hold for this court challenge.

Basically because the Feds didn't tell them that they could cram going to the courts. BC came out on top of the Feds but blinked against Alberta slightly.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #183
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its a win but not a win.

It allows us to ship bitumen through the pipeline at our normal volume. But construction is still on a hold for this court challenge.

Basically because the Feds didn't tell them that they could cram going to the courts. BC came out on top of the Feds but blinked against Alberta slightly.
I think that we should still be taking action. If the pipeline is still on hold because they have only sort of pulled back, we should continue the pressure.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #184
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, Alberta doesn't win anything until real construction starts. Everything up till then is just wasted time and money.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #185
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think that we should still be taking action. If the pipeline is still on hold because they have only sort of pulled back, we should continue the pressure.

If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #186
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dealing with this as a zero sum game is a significant factor in pipeline opposition. I'd hope anyone that wants to see this pipeline through realizes that.

Bad politics for Notley to declare things a win is a blink.

Bad for the industry if this doesn't look like a win win in the end.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #187
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its a win but not a win.

Where do you get that pipeline construction is on hold for this court challenge?

The marine terminal upgrades have already started construction and they got a key approval for construction in advance of the 157 conditions being completed for an area sensitive to migratory birds. Someone closer would have to look at how much of the procurement is done but they are probably pretty close to being pot committed here.

Last edited by GGG; 02-23-2018 at 12:25 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #188
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So Andrew Weaver (The Green Party Leader) was on powerplay this morning.

Basically he spent his time blasting Notley and Trudeau.

Mentioned that they feel they're going to win this court case, and even if they don't win, they're going to encourage Indigenous Groups to delay construction and tie it up in the courts for pretty much ever, and was firm that the Pipeline will never be built.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #189
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just do not understand how you can baldly say that sort of thing and have it not be patent abuse of process and misfeasance in public office. That is not the purpose of the court system. It harms the court system, which is already having a ton of difficulty keeping up with limited resources.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #190
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weaver definitely does not have a problem wasting court time. His decade long lawsuit against Tim Ball was just chucked out leaving both parties to sort out costs. Hilarious actually. Like two four year olds fighting over the broken toy that is their credibility.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote