Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default AB vs BC - Kinder Morgan Dispute

I'm making a new thread for this dispute as it's mixed into a few.

This is an interesting tweet. Notley has created a committee to deal with BC and Trudeau. Here is a tweet of who is on the committee:

https://twitter.com/toddcoyne?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

For those who don't know who Peter Hogg is, he would be the undisputed constitutional law scholar in Canada.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I'm making a new thread for this dispute as it's mixed into a few.

This is an interesting tweet. Notley has created a committee to deal with BC and Trudeau. Here is a tweet of who is on the committee:

https://twitter.com/toddcoyne?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

For those who don't know who Peter Hogg is, he would be the undisputed constitutional law scholar in Canada.
Not entirely undisputed...

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thes...arc_nadon.html

I'm not saying he's a bad pick as a consultant by any means, but this was a rather dramatic instance of him being found to be wrong.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a fascinating group.

Some really smart and politically savvy folks on the business list. And power hitters in the DM office.

2 of the ministers will need a translator. They’ll not keep up. I wonder if they are there for their party connections?

And whether for politics or necessity, Notley doesn’t play with anybody, so having her there as a participant not just being reported to is interesting too. Wonder if that’s me misreading it.
Bend it like Bourgeois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
Not entirely undisputed...

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thes...arc_nadon.html

I'm not saying he's a bad pick as a consultant by any means, but this was a rather dramatic instance of him being found to be wrong.

he's still undisputed. Not necessarily undefeated, but undisputed within Constitutional Law.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Hogg's dicta basically have about the same authority as Supreme Court decisions when it comes to what a court will consider persuasive. Obviously his opinion isn't binding on anyone but the general sense is that his views are likely better informed than anyone's, including anyone on the SCC.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The top two groups are useless gov't folks. The bottom group seems pretty good; they've got Frank McKenna, but was expecting them to cut the middle man and just appoint Murray Edwards.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The committee will never have to meet, Justin will take care of this......
Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 AM   #8
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Does anyone know if the Deputy Minister are NDP appointments or rose through the civil service ranks?

The non-government group is pretty strong, the political group pretty weak, and I have no idea about the DM group.

This is a step in the right direction for the premier to take and I suppose she has to appoint her fellow NDPers, at least they're supported by some non-governmental heavy hitters.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would suspect the role of the government is to take feedback on what the government can do and give feedback on what the government is willing to do. Effectively they are project managers and spokespeople while the technical group does the work.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #10
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know the specifics of this group but am aware that many former DMs and ADMs remain from the PC era.

Phil Bryden is new to the NDP govt. He's the only one I know of from that list. He is the former Dean of the Faculty of Law at the U of A.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
Does anyone know if the Deputy Minister are NDP appointments or rose through the civil service ranks?

The non-government group is pretty strong, the political group pretty weak, and I have no idea about the DM group.

This is a step in the right direction for the premier to take and I suppose she has to appoint her fellow NDPers, at least they're supported by some non-governmental heavy hitters.
At least one is an appointment in Corey Hogan.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was at the liquor store yesterday browsing craft beers for our boardgaming night, a couple times I had a B.C. brand in my hand, then thought better of it. Ended up getting Alberta and British ales. A couple of my buddies remarked that they did the same thing - decided not to buy B.C. beers.

It'll be interesting to see how public sentiment and boycotts of B.C. products will play out.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #13
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at a seminar Wednesday followed by a wine bar. One guy went to check that they weren't serving B.C. wines. They weren't.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #14
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

A group of six friends and I boycotted Montreal this new year's eve for the same reasons...ignorance about pipelines. They're heavy hitting shoppers too and easily cost old Montreal about 30k. I can't keep up but even on past trips it's a few thousand for me in hotels and food. So it does add up.

I guess Winefest this month will be a bit smaller than last year. And Chefmeetsbcgrape probably won't happen in May. That was super fun last year.

It will be interesting to see what this group comes up with. Getting the rest of the country on our side would be quite helpful.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Cancelled a 5 day golf trip with some friends of mine for July.

We're not the first ones to cancel trips.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #16
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should industry not be stepping up the pressure as well?

Don Braid's article calls for Industry to divert contracts away from BC firms to more pipeline friendly jurisdictions.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...ly-jolt-horgan

Quote:
lex Macdonald, once the top aide to the late Alberta Liberal leader Laurence Decore, has an idea that could make B.C. Premier John Horgan collapse in a faint.

Oilsands companies, Macdonald says, should stop buying supplies and services from firms in British Columbia.

Now, that would hurt.

There are 738 such suppliers in B.C. They bill oilsands outfits for $1.3 billion a year, according to figures updated to early 2017 by the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.

More than 400 companies in Fort St. John send their bills to Alberta. There are 141 suppliers in Vancouver and even, if you can believe it, 78 in Burnaby, the terminus city and heart of pipeline resistance.
Now I don't think you target Fort St. John or the North East region of BC - I think they are overwhelmingly pro pipeline - but the ones in Burnaby?
Old 02-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would expect that when those contracts come up to expiration you're going to see some panic in BC as they don't win new contracts.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #18
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

This situation saddens me. I love BC. I spend lots of time and money there. This is like being pissed off with my favourite sibling.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #19
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post

There are both, but in ways you’d expect. Slava pointed out Horgan is political, but that’s a political role. Nelson was appointed 2 years ago or so and wasn’t political, as she shouldn’t be. She seems very sharp and is well respected too.

What’s interesting about that group to me is they are the ones you’d pick if you were going to actually do things, not just rattle sabres. Having them named at all is a bit unusual and I wonder if it’s deliberate that way. We will see I guess.
Bend it like Bourgeois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #20
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live in BC and am stoked Alberta is doing this. The BC vs evil Alberta narrative is a complete joke. Listening to uninformed, clueless people oppose pipelines makes me want a world ending event.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post: