Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #321
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the new arena built yet??
Old 09-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #322
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The Flames currently pay rent. Guess what it is. I've written it in white at the end of this sentence. $1/Year. Not a typo.
To be fair though, they are mandated to spend money on amateur sports which is distributed by the Saddledome Foundation because of this deal.

They pay $1 rent but have paid over 20 million towards amateur sports since the '94 deal.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #323
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Duh. They moved to Nashville.
Except they didn't.

They moved it to Memphis from Houston first.

Duh indeed.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #324
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
A couple changes to make it more accurate.
people can CHOOSE to use anything the city builds or not.

If they cannot afford it, then they CHOOSE not to...pretty simple eh?

Like tomorrow...you can go down to the dome and watch all the players for 6 hours worth of practices.

You know what it will cost?

Nothing.

As for your relentless observation about billionaires...yeah no kidding guys that own NHL teams have money. Who else would own them? We get it, you hate capitalism and anyone who has made a lot of money. Move on.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #325
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Like tomorrow...you can go down to the dome and watch all the players for 6 hours worth of practices.

Nothing.

As for your relentless observation about billionaires...yeah no kidding guys that own NHL teams have money. Who else would own them? We get it, you hate capitalism and anyone who has made a lot of money. Move on.
There is a tangible benefit for the community when the public uses things like recreation centres (healthier, lower healthcare costs, more productive, etc.), libraries (more employable, more productive, children not bored and causing trouble), even skate parks (healthier, children not bored and causing trouble.) It seems to me that such benefits are much harder to find in Flames game attendance.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #326
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Nothing.

You are a bitter, bitter man. Always ready to name call.

So I hate capitalism and anyone who has made a lot of money?

Quote:
I'll go on record with my bottom line.

The City provides the site and upgrades the infrastructure in the area - the same type as proposed in Nenshi's video - at their cost.

The City provides a cash grant of $100 million of the construction costs. I could also live with the City providing more initial funding as long as any contributions >$100 million are returned to the City via a revenue sharing mechanism.

ErikEstrada, transplant, New Era, ManhattanBoy, et al. What's your bottom line?
Are you going to share your bottom line view on what an acceptable deal is?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #327
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You're against some forms of socialized subsidy of private industry so you must hate capitalism and other nonsensical fairy tales.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #328
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Poor is a choice?

No bread? Let them eat cake!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #329
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except they didn't.

They moved it to Memphis from Houston first.

Duh indeed.
Huh, you learn something new every day. In my defense, I was 10 when that move happened. Now I'm curious as to why they moved from Memphis to Nashville. To the Google/Wikipedia machine!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #330
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
To be fair though, they are mandated to spend money on amateur sports which is distributed by the Saddledome Foundation because of this deal.

They pay $1 rent but have paid over 20 million towards amateur sports since the '94 deal.
Plus, they pay for all maintenance and upgrades to the building. New scoreboard ... new seats ... new dressing room ... new sound system ... etc ... is all paid for by the Flames.

These are things that need to be taken into consideration when evaluating the deal too.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #331
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
You are a bitter, bitter man. Always ready to name call.

So I hate capitalism and anyone who has made a lot of money?

Are you going to share your bottom line view on what an acceptable deal is?

What name calling?

And thats rich coming from a guy who used my medical condition against me in a post not more than a month ago. Remember that? You should have been banned for that crap.

As for what i find acceptable I want to see ACTUAL numbers and costs and locations and ancillary benefits for the Flames and the city before deciding.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #332
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Huh, you learn something new every day. In my defense, I was 10 when that move happened. Now I'm curious as to why they moved from Memphis to Nashville. To the Google/Wikipedia machine!
Stadium wasnt ready yet IIRC. They played at Vandy for a year or 2 as well.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #333
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Poor is a choice?

No bread? Let them eat cake!
Poor is not a choice, no. Who said it was? Choosing where to spend entertainment (or any) dollars is.

Or is it that since many cannot afford something, that something shouldnt be available to those who can afford them?

So the city should not be involved in building anything that requires an admission price?

Like no more swimming pools, cause they cost money to enter. No more rec centers, cause they cost money too.

Or is it only big arenas because they cost more money to enter?

You must be of the position that the city should have ZERO involvement financially with this building then right?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #334
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stadium wasnt ready yet IIRC. They played at Vandy for a year or 2 as well.
Yeah, it's kind of an interesting bit of sports history how that all went down. In the end, the new stadium in Houston ended up being funded 43% by public, 57% by the Texans.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #335
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its funny where this debate meanders politically. I'm as left as they come but I don't think subsidies should be cherry picked as no one is going to be completely on board for everything. So yeah give money to the arts, and give money to the millionaires, so they can provide something really popular in the city, even if not everyone uses it. Much like rec centres, libraries etc.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #336
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What name calling?

And thats rich coming from a guy who used my medical condition against me in a post not more than a month ago. Remember that? You should have been banned for that crap.

As for what i find acceptable I want to see ACTUAL numbers and costs and locations and ancillary benefits for the Flames and the city before deciding.
Not my finest moment and I offered an immediate apology. Have you ever apologized for your abusive tone?

As for the rest of your post. It's just as I thought. You don't want to put a stake in the ground.

You don't want to go on the record.

If you did you couldn't criticize and mock posters you disagree with. It allows you to keep saying Nenshi's the problem, the City needs to do more, give more, but you won't put a limit on that. If you did, you might find common ground with some posters - just as New Era and I did. If people can agree on a principle funding limit then the discussion is only about negotiation tactics.

Do you have a bottom line or would you be fine with the whole project being financed by the City and a ticket tax - no cash contribution from Flames owners?

Or are you just here to mock and belittle?

Last edited by longsuffering; 09-14-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #337
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or is it that since many cannot afford something, that something shouldnt be available to those who can afford them?
My position is that the city shouldn't be handing out money to for-profit enterprises unless they provide a tangible and necessary benefit that the majority of the public can access if they want to. The difference between the a new arena for the Flames and a rec centre or a swimming pool is that the rec centre provides tangible health benefits, and all money made goes directly into maintaining the rec centre or producing new ones.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #338
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My position is that the city shouldn't be handing out money to for-profit enterprises unless they provide a tangible and necessary benefit that the majority of the public can access if they want to. The difference between the a new arena for the Flames and a rec centre or a swimming pool is that the rec centre provides tangible health benefits, and all money made goes directly into maintaining the rec centre or producing new ones.
KK has said that the Owners have never taken dividends or a withdrawal on profits in the entire history of the club. Not that they couldn't, but they haven't. Money is reinvested into the club similar to what you are describing. Certainly the hot dogs and beer are not health benefits though!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #339
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You must be of the position that the city should have ZERO involvement financially with this building then right?
You'd be wrong.

I've posted my bottom line twice.

Quote:
I'll go on record with my bottom line.

The City provides the site and upgrades the infrastructure in the area - the same type as proposed in Nenshi's video - at their cost.

The City provides a cash grant of $100 million of the construction costs. I could also live with the City providing more initial funding as long as any contributions >$100 million are returned to the City via a revenue sharing mechanism.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #340
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
KK has said that the Owners have never taken dividends or a withdrawal on profits in the entire history of the club. Not that they couldn't, but they haven't.
There's no way in hell you actually believe that's a fair equivalent, do you?
Closed Thread