Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #81
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've been lucky this year, knock on phony wood.

But people are calling this the 100 day flu for a reason.

Once you get it, its tough to shake it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #82
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I've had a cold for 26 days now, with very minor symptoms. Anyone else with this long term type of cold? I'm trying to gauge if there is a specific strain going around and how long I should expect this to last.
Not really a cold, but I had a really bad cough for about a month after my cold at the end of December. No other symptoms of a cold besides the cough, but I felt like garbage all the same because it prevented me from getting a decent sleep for weeks. I amassed a pretty impressive collection of cough syrups, cough drops and other so-called cough remedies. Finally I went to the doctor and she gave me an inhaler with a steroid in it and the cough slowly went away. It was brutal.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #83
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've been lucky this year, knock on phony wood.

But people are calling this the 100 day flu for a reason.

Once you get it, its tough to shake it.
Oh no.. who's calling it 100 day flu?
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #84
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

The cough is what gets me about flus. It sucks being sidelined for a week, but the 8 weeks of persistent coughing is obnoxious.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #85
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My doctor said the flu shot this year was only like 10% effective or something. Every year they try to predict what strains will be prevalent but it's only an educated guess what is built into the flu shot.

Flu took me 3 weeks to get over this year.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #86
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My doctor said the flu shot this year was only like 10% effective or something. Every year they try to predict what strains will be prevalent but it's only an educated guess what is built into the flu shot.

Flu took me 3 weeks to get over this year.
Damn. I'm 6 days in.

Canadian estimates are flu shot only 10-20% effective. 10% being quoted for Australia.

CDC (US) estimate is flu shot was about 36% effective this year, for the record.

PopSci actually says that's not bad

"In the last decade, only one flu shot has reached the 60 percent efficacy mark. Three others have gotten over 50 percent. The lowest: 19.

So when the Centers for Disease Control says this year’s flu vaccine is 36 percent effective, that’s not terrible news. Especially when, prior to this estimate, the CDC thought it might only be 10 percent, which is how effective this same vaccine was in Australia."
Old 02-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #87
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Three weeks for me as well. It was really brutal. I have heard that even if the flu shot doesn't hit the correct strain, it can still mitigate symptoms? Anyone know if that's true? If so, damn glad I got the shot.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #88
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Just don't get the McDavid flu. It keeps your team out of the playoffs , makes your team suffer and your fan base whine and wine too much.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #89
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually get the flu shot because I cant really afford to be down during flu Tax season, but I havent managed yet.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #90
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was deathly ill for 2 weeks. Still have the persistent cough 2 weeks after that, which is driving me bonkers. Hopefully that goes away soon.

Tough strain this year.
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #91
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't remember my source for it, but I recall hearing or reading that the dominant flu strain wasn't the one in this seasons flu shot mistakenly.

Edit - didn't read the other posts... Looks like it's right...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #92
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Not really a cold, but I had a really bad cough for about a month after my cold at the end of December. No other symptoms of a cold besides the cough, but I felt like garbage all the same because it prevented me from getting a decent sleep for weeks. ...
Same here. Got a little cold around the first week of January, which ran its course in a few days. But this stupid cough had stayed and never left since. Just sits there and doesn't want to go away...
Old 02-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #93
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got sick three weeks ago, lasted for a couple days, and then the coughing started. It's now been over 20 days of no cold-like symptoms at all except for this damn cough, which just won't go away. The strain this year seems to be affecting people all the same way.

#### THIS COUGH
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #94
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Got sick three weeks ago, lasted for a couple days, and then the coughing started. It's now been over 20 days of no cold-like symptoms at all except for this damn cough, which just won't go away. The strain this year seems to be affecting people all the same way.

#### THIS COUGH
I think you either have Pneumonia or Lupus. And its almost never Lupus. So you might want to get that checked.

Or look it up on WebMD and find out what kind of Cancer you have.

It depends entirely on how brave you are.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #95
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

#### THIS COUGH
Yeah you might want to get that checked out man.

I'm sure you're co-workers are just loving you right now.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:49 AM   #96
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like most of you have colds, not the flu. If you're coughing for weeks, you probably have bronchitis, not the flu. If you're stuffed up for weeks, you probably have a nasal infection.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #97
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a double ear infection, then sick with flu like symptoms, started feeling better then crashed again yesterday. Spent 3 hours at urgent care this morming/afternoon and yay, pneumonia. My lungs hurt something fierce and my ribs aren't happy either. That part is annoying but it's the weaker than a kitten, can't walk 2 feet without feeling like keeling over that's really hard to deal with.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote