Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #1221
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting point and could definitely be part of the reason, but I've also flown the YYC-DEN route and had good experiences.

Side note, I loved Continental's slogan "Work Hard. Fly Right."

Damn straight.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #1222
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flew in from Houston yesterday into the new terminal.

Is it just me or does the walk to Customs seem unnecessarily long? Got through quick once I was there and didn't even have to talk to an agent which was nice.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #1223
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Is it just me or does the walk to Customs seem unnecessarily long? Got through quick once I was there and didn't even have to talk to an agent which was nice.
Depends on what gate you get when you land. For me it was about the same walk as getting to the departure gate as it was basically the same for both. On the walk to customs it at least has a moving sidewalk, which the departures side doesn't have.

Big airports mean big walks when you have to separate foot traffic, not much can be done about that.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #1224
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Airport Authority has announced their replacement for the current CEO, Garth Atkinson:

http://www.yyc.com/News/tabid/91/art...l-Airport.aspx
Old 11-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #1225
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Was through going YYC-SEA today. Got in checked in through security and global entry no problem. Was there this lots of time so I could walk around and check it out.

Then went to get a sandwich and sat in front of the big board waiting for it to "call to gate"

This is where it fell apart. The moment my flight turned green on the board they called my name for waiting to board. Ended up getting a lift from a white hat and a golf cart.

If they are going to call to gate then maybe have the board announcement that they are starting boarding not "please come to they gate or your bags are coming off the plane"

The flight after that was fine and had a nice view flying over the city at 2pm
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #1226
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, you should maybe write to both the airline and the airport authority about that...
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #1227
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

YYC's Facebook page uploaded a how to video explaining how to use their Call to Gate system.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #1228
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

...and it still won't make a big difference. People will continue to show up and not know about the CTG system. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, I think YYC sticks to their guns and keeps the system going, perhaps adding slightly more chairs to the gate areas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #1229
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
...and it still won't make a big difference. People will continue to show up and not know about the CTG system. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, I think YYC sticks to their guns and keeps the system going, perhaps adding slightly more chairs to the gate areas.
In order for the system to work, the airlines need to play ball.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #1230
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Long. But those machines make things so quick that the overall experience is way faster.

Just flew to Newark for the weekend and had delays on both flights on the YYC end. The first flight the captain announced that were delays as the staff were trying to figure out there way around the new terminal. These delays of almost an hour really messed things up when I was then travelling to Manhattan during rush hour instead of before it. On the way back after we landed we had to wait another 20 mins or so for a gate crew to arrive to taxi the airplane the last 5 ft. and bring out the ramp. Having your gate crew in place for when your plane lands seems like a pretty simple task.

I'm sure they are just "kinks" but my experience with the new terminal was a pretty big miss. Oh well.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #1231
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of talk about the distance of this thing.

Can you take one of those YYC shuttles instead of walking?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #1232
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I agree on several fronts. YYC will likely cave slightly and add some more seating to the gate areas assuming there is room to do so but I do think they will also stick to their guns. As people get used to the system there will be fewer complaints and they will adapt. At the end of the day it's not a big deal.

I however will continue to show up to the gate area when I fly (especially if flying alone) and it's not because I don't know about CTG, it's that i don't care. I have zero interest in sitting in some central area while waiting, that is jsut not how I like to travel.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #1233
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Lots of talk about the distance of this thing.

Can you take one of those YYC shuttles instead of walking?
I believe that system (YYC Link) only runs from the old terminal over to the new (post-security), not down the piers to the gate areas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #1234
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Just got an update to the WestJet Android App. For Intl/US departures from YYC, the gate is blank and it says gates will be assigned 75 mins before departure time.

WestJet's website still shows the gates though. Guess that still needs to be fixed.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Art Vandelay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #1235
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Just got an update to the WestJet Android App. For Intl/US departures from YYC, the gate is blank and it says gates will be assigned 75 mins before departure time.

WestJet's website still shows the gates though. Guess that still needs to be fixed.
That's a start, but isn't 75 minutes a little excessive? You're still going to end up with a crowd around the gate with no seating.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #1236
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a start, but isn't 75 minutes a little excessive? You're still going to end up with a crowd around the gate with no seating.
I would say so. My only experience with call to gate was Gatwick and I can't remember how long before boarding they updated the board but I think it was less than 75mins. It also can take 25 mins to walk to your gate (so they say) and they have gate rooms or seating at the gate.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #1237
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I would say so. My only experience with call to gate was Gatwick and I can't remember how long before boarding they updated the board but I think it was less than 75mins. It also can take 25 mins to walk to your gate (so they say) and they have gate rooms or seating at the gate.
I have experienced it at Heathrow a few years ago, and it worked fairly well. The biggest difference is (like you say about Gatwick) is that there was still seating at the gates once you got there. The system at Heathrow seemed like an innovative way to manage the gates and a very busy airport.

In Calgary, however, it seems less about managing busy gates and more about keeping people near the shops to spend money. The gates appear to be available well in advance, but the airlines are likely being asked to hide that information to justify their decision to skimp on seating. That is a lot different than at a busy airport like LHR where they are juggling gates around a lot more frequently, and there are actual operational reasons for using that system. I think that they will relent and add some seating at the gates eventually. I often go and sit at an unused, quiet gate when I travel, so it isn't just anxious "get me on first" people that like to sit away from the shops and restaurants.

Granted, I don't operate an airport, so what do I know. ANd I haven't actually experienced the system at YYC first hand yet. But when a project this big conveniently "forgets" water fountains, it does tend to bring out my cynicism. Maybe one day there will be enough traffic to withhold the gate from people until the last minute, but that day clearly isn't here yet.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #1238
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is 90% YYC's fault and 10% the airlines.

That's my perspective.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #1239
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

On January 1 the "terminal fee" is going to be increasing by 5% and the landing fee is going up by 3%.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #1240
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the requirements for West Jet to cancel a flight?

I checked into my red eye flight to Toronto tonight and the plane was like half full. We have a connection to the Caribbean tomorrow morning so a cancelled flight essentially cancels our vacation..

Anyone have any thoughts?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc