Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 01-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #141
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincanada80 View Post
Assuming the proposed package is being moved to a team rebuilding

Why on earth does a team like St.Louis, Ottawa etc want either goalie?? Newsflash! teams missing the playoffs have no need for your UFA bound goalies, they have no value to teams out of the playoffs. On top of that, Kailer & Puljujarvi are close to worthless, Benson is a walking band-aid and who the heck is Cameron Hebig??

The only thing that holds value is that un-tainted soon to be top5 pick as the Oilers has not ruined it yet
I they could be flipped like that one year I think it was Halak went to like 5 teams at the deadline.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #142
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Honestly that trade is actually great for both teams in my opinion
Really. I think I would want some salary retained on the Luch.
And maybe hold the Luch.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #143
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

so full of win.....they either get picked off in a trade again or they have to face the shame that they can't sell their players as if they were refurbished ebay electronics.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #144
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am really conflicted on this...

On one hand, Chia sucks in trades. I would expect the Oilers to give up value and not address any significant needs. I like this as a Flames' fan.

On the other hand, Edmonton sucks at drafting, so I wouldn't expect that pick to help at all in the long run. They suck at development too, so I don't expect that young player to help at all in the long run. Their backup goalie is whom I think will be traded - Talbot - and it will leave them exposed. However, he is more than likely to walk in the offseason.

Either way, as a Flames' fan, I love this.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #145
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
To EDM: Jakub Voracek, Mike McKenna, 2019 NJD 3rd round pick.

To PHI: Jesse Pulljujarvi, Milan Lucic, Cam Talbot, 2019 EDM 1st round pick, 2020 EDM 2nd round pick, 2021 EDM 1st round pick.

Lucic has negative value. If I was Fletcher I’d say take Lucic out of the equation and you got yourself a deal. No one is taking that boat anchor, buyout proof contract. If I was Fletcher, to make the salaries work, I’d swap out an injured Sekera for Lucic. Free cap savings and a hell of a lot more useful than Lucic, if he can get back to his regular level.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #146
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Honestly, if I was the oilers GM, I would look at trading Draisaitl. He is one of the only players of value on the roster, and they need to rebuild on the fly because of mcdavid.

They should be looking at Tarasenko, Schenn and one of st. Louis defense for Draisaitl, Talbot and their first.

That would be if they actually wanted to improve the team, and didn't overvalue what they have.
Chiarelli would 100% lose a Draisaitl trade. I hope he does it.
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #147
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They should be looking at Tarasenko, Schenn and one of st. Louis defense for Draisaitl, Talbot and their first.

Just wondering is McDavid going as well? Draisaitl is a lost puppy without McDavid, why would St Louis give up 2 good goal scorers for a lost puppy and a UFA goalie?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:24 AM   #148
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. I enjoyed reading through E=NG spin off thread. Too funny the Oilers might trade their 1st in a misguided attempt at the playoffs.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #149
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

oilers get some tertiary scoring yesterday. i am assuming that the news that some of them maybe traded out will motivate their bottom 6 guys
Old 01-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #150
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Logically, I'd imagine a Draisaitl move would best come in the off-season. As most of the buyers out there aren't adding an $8.5M gamble to their top-line right now.

With what he's shown in the NHL so far, he isn't going to add a line for you - which you'd expect at $8.5M. When buyers are shopping for help in the post-season, they'll likely want a lot more production for the salary risk they take on until 2025.

So the Oilers would be in a position to retain salary or add something as compensation to make a move happen now. And at that point... we aren't even talking about the player they'd be getting back. Montreal or Nashville could wade in here - and both Ottawa and Columbus have an opportunity to calm the choppy waters still ahead.

Imagine Panarin going for Draisaitl if they don't feel like he's re-signing in the off-season. They'd have to add that 1st, for sure - and likely have to add still to make that happen.

Normally, that trade could be just fine. But that's before you consider two obvious factors. For one, Panarin won't be re-signing in Edmonton... and two, we all know that any sniff they get in the playoffs will be short. Icing on the cake would be Draisaitl earning that $8.5M contract after the trade.

Outside of Draisaitl, I can't think of any way they try and upgrade forward unless it's them emptying their pockets to the highest bidder. The storyline this year keeps getting better and better

Last edited by Split98; 01-15-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #151
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Lucic has negative value. If I was Fletcher I’d say take Lucic out of the equation and you got yourself a deal. No one is taking that boat anchor, buyout proof contract. If I was Fletcher, to make the salaries work, I’d swap out an injured Sekera for Lucic. Free cap savings and a hell of a lot more useful than Lucic, if he can get back to his regular level.
No one is taking on that Lucic deal without major incentive. This years 1st and Lucic for a bag of pucks is about right, although the Oilers might have to include even more. That contract is truly horrible and he has demonstrated every year of it so far just how horrible it is. It's not like this is just one down year. Anything with any value coming back then needs to paid for separately.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #152
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually think Lazar would do well in Edmonton, has the speed to keep up with McDavid. I doubt a direct Calgary-Edmonton trade gets done but that could be a shrewd move (read: unlikely) for Chiarelli given the acquisition cost would be low.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #153
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Just wondering is McDavid going as well? Draisaitl is a lost puppy without McDavid, why would St Louis give up 2 good goal scorers for a lost puppy and a UFA goalie?
Draisaitl being a lost puppy is exactly why Edmonton should be trading him and not Puljujarvi. That contract makes it tough though.

Also, the absolute best part about all of this is that it isn't coming from Chia trying to save his job. It is coming from Katz himself. So we have Katz, Lowe and Chiarelli all trying to drive this bus. Cue Three Stooges meme.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #154
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eric Duhatschek suggesting Oilers can do a 1st + Puljujarvi to the Kings for Toffoli and Muzzin. Oh man, I hope the Oilers do something like that. Giving up a top 10 pick for one and a half year of Muzzin and a struggling Toffoli. And then I can actively cheer on Puljujarvi to not bust.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #155
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Eric Duhatschek suggesting Oilers can do a 1st + Puljujarvi to the Kings for Toffoli and Muzzin. Oh man, I hope the Oilers do something like that. Giving up a top 10 pick for one and a half year of Muzzin and a struggling Toffoli. And then I can actively cheer on Puljujarvi to not bust.
In what cap world can they add 4.6 for Toffoli and 4.0 for Muzzin and not send salary back?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #156
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly, if I was the oilers GM, I would look at trading Draisaitl.
Every time something like this is proposed, I think, "that could make sense if the return is well thought out", and then I remember that Chiarelli is the guy you're saying should trade a top ten scorer in the NHL. What, do you figure he's due?

Incidentally, I would still pay a pretty solid price for Puljujarvi, I honestly think he can be salvaged. Probably not a fit for the Flames, but unlikely that'd happen anyway.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #157
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
In what cap world can they add 4.6 for Toffoli and 4.0 for Muzzin and not send salary back?
Further more who can actively cheer for a king to do well. They can sit in the Basement forever as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #158
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Didn't really look into the cap situation, as was just hearing it over the radio. Interesting trade if Oilers didn't screw themselves over with the cap situation.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #159
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Didn't really look into the cap situation, as was just hearing it over the radio. Interesting trade if Oilers didn't screw themselves over with the cap situation.
Well, if you see Eric tell him the Oilers have 51k in cap space and need to move someone out when Sekera comes back
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #160
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He wasn't really suggesting it could be done, he threw it to the host as a hypothetical.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote