Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Andersson, Rasmus 259 67.45%
Dube, Dillon 56 14.58%
Ehliz, Yasin 0 0%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 7 1.82%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 2 0.52%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 2 0.52%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 8 2.08%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 14 3.65%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 35 9.11%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 1 0.26%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 0 0%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #81
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah this comes up every year. Vote how you like and explain your reasoning. That's best for discussion

Personally I voted Dube because I liked his play last pre-season and I forgot Andersson
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #82
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
This comes up every year we do this. IMO the best way to rank them is a combination of both. But upside does trump nhl readiness as the more important consideration. For example it would be beyond silly for us to have voted Kulak ahead of Valimaki last year when Kulak was NHL ready. Valimaki is a potential top pairing dman, Kulak most likely a bottom pairing guy.

One way to think about it that I like that another poster has mentioned already is which prospect would be most valuable in trade. This ranks our prospects in terms of value both to the organization and league wide. Of course we only have access to our perception of their trade value but I think it’s a good way to think about it.

I think Scorpions approach (most nhl ready) where he voted Klimchuk is off the mark. No offense Scorp. I think upside when fully developed has to be a big consideration. NHL ready bottom pairing dmen (Kulak last year) or 4th line forwards (Hathaway in the past) shouldn’t ever be ranked ahead of guys who have star potential who are a couple years away.

I think Valimaki was the clearcut #1. And I can see the arguments for Andersson, Dube and Parsons this round. Parsons because of upside despite the poor season. Dube and Andersson because of a blend of upside and nhl readiness. Kylington I can understand somewhat too although I’m not as convinced on him as a couple people are. Voting any of them this round does not make you a troll. I don’t really understand anybody not voting Valimaki last round though, I think he was the clearcut indisputable #1.
It would be nice if everyone stated which method they are using to vote in these polls.
I can see valid reasons to choose either method or even use a combination of both.
I personally chose "most NHL ready" as that is the method that provides the most immediate help to the roster.
That said, anyone choosing a different method has just as valid an opinion as mine.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #83
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like to use huggie bear as an example. He was NHL ready for that team, but would never be an impact NHLer. I like the example of Kulak and Andersson. Kulak was probably more NHL ready last season, but i think it could be argued that Andersson was left down to further develop. If he hits his developmental milestones they think he can, he will be a more impactful NHLer hands down.

At the end of the day I see this as prospect list that are valuable to the organization taking those steps forward. Which is no surprise why first rounders tend to hold a bit more weight out of the gate.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #84
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pick the player I value the most. If Andersson or Parsons were part of another team would I want the Flames to trade Dube for either of them? No, I wouldn't. That is why Dube is my #2 pick.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #85
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like round 3 shaping up to be a closer one between Parsons and Dube.

Parsons likely has the higher ceiling given pedigree of winning and OHL success but his season was a disappointment any way you measure it (young age aside). Two significant injuries did not help.

35th in AHL goalies for SV% at 0.856
36th in AHL goalies for GAA at 4.39

Parsons did not far that much better in ECHL.
58th for SV% at 0.902
59th for GAA at 3.16

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/05/02/f...tyler-parsons/

Dube cames close draft+1 year to making Flames and was a leader on the WJC Canada squad.
His NHLe was approximately 35 points this past WHL season.

He most closely projects to a Brandon Gallagher comparing WHL careers.

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/03/29/f...p-dillon-dube/

Edge goes to Dube for me. But plenty of time for Parsons to reclaim his potential. The pro ranks are never easy for a young goalie.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #86
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dillon Dube because I like the cut of his jib.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #87
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson, without a doubt for me, mostly because he is NHL ready and has top 4 two-way potential with powerplay skills. That's very valuable as far as I'm concerned.

My next group has a bunch of forwards with different games, but all have a strong chance to be NHLers. That group includes:

Mangiapane
Dube
Foo
Phillips

I can't pick a goalie this high because none have dominated in the minors as of yet.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #88
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post
It would be nice if everyone stated which method they are using to vote in these polls.
I can see valid reasons to choose either method or even use a combination of both.
I personally chose "most NHL ready" as that is the method that provides the most immediate help to the roster.
That said, anyone choosing a different method has just as valid an opinion as mine.
Really I don't think that matters as some posters are looking too deep here. Everyone has a different opinion. If someone want's to put emphasis on who's most NHL ready or who has the best long term potential, that's their own criteria. The votes balance out in the end as it's not like through two rounds it's been close. As for me it's a bit of both as Parsons is years away and while he's a nice prospect we haven't had a Flames goaltending prospect work out for a long time so I'm not going to anoint him as a surefire NHL starter and place him ahead of a guy like Rasmus Andersson has had a stellar CHL and AHL career and doesn't look out of place in the NHL. Obviously a lot of other voters share this sentiment but these threads aren't about being right, they are about posters sharing their opinions of who the Flames top prospects are.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #89
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Went with Andersson. These next couple spots for me are really tough though. I really liked Andersson in his limited time at the end of last year. He’s proven down in the AHL the last couple years he’s a player. This year he has a spot on the opening night roster unless he craps the bed in camp. I really think he’ll be a top 4 guy and hopefully sooner than later. That’s why I’m going with him.

Super high on Dube and think he’ll challenge for a spot, but ultimately he’ll benefit from time in the minors. Mangiapane is another guy that will challenge for a spot and I hope he wins it and starts the season with the big club. I know he didn’t impress in his 10 games, but you can’t help but love his numbers down in the minors. Hopefully the injury doesn’t set him back as I feel he’s close. Kylington is always the guy I have trouble rating. Love the skill set, but for some reason he just doesn’t excite like the others. His bust factor to me is just to high for me to rate him here. Parsons is the last guy I was debating here. Pretty sure last year I had him 2nd or 3rd, but this year I just don’t think I can go that high with him. I love his potential still, but with his struggles and injury last year there is definitely some pause on him. Goalies are the toughest to predict and he needs a good couple seasons to get back on track for me. Long winded post, but just my thinking on this.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #90
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane is exactly the guy that I would be trying to trade for if I was another team. Let him get some time in a top 9 and he will surprise as early as this year.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #91
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Anyone that votes for someone other than Anderssen is obviously a troll and not a Flames fan
You literally picked Garnet Hathaway as our top prospect in last years prospect ranking.

jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #92
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
You literally picked Garnet Hathaway as our top prospect in last years prospect ranking.

Busted!
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #93
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is weird. It's the second time I have heard about "fitness issues" with Andersson in the past three days, after having not heard anything in that regard for two years. Why do some people still think that this is a thing?
It's not weird. His fitness issues were called out by management publicly for two camps in a row. Has that happened to other prospects?

I'm glad they haven't felt a need to do it for the last two camps. Maybe that means he is super fit now. Unfortunately I don't know but seems like something that should stay on the radar for a while.

But we can handle both the good and bad news right? Parsons had a mediocre year last year but that doesn't mean it wipes out what happened before then.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:41 AM   #94
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a bit leery of picking a goalie this early, but I don't think Parsons disappointed. Yep, he had a tough time in the ECHL to start, but then he was pretty much lights-out. His SV% reflects his terrible start, but IIRC, he was damn good for a while in the ECHL, and was deserving of getting promoted to the AHL.

I give him a pass there on his injury. I still think he has the highest ceiling of any goalie in this organization. Kid is an absolute stud in net, and I bet next season (if he stays healthy - knock on wood) people will start to see it. He is one of those rare goalies that plays better the bigger the games are. That's the kind of goalie that lets you win a cup.

I still voted for Kylington here, as I do think his skills and attributes are very difficult and expensive to acquire, and his defensive deficiencies are highly overblown. Kylington is going to be a stud.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #95
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Dillon Dube because I like the cut of his jib.
I think there are some prospects that are naturally more talented than Dube, some that are bigger, some that are faster, some more NHL ready, better shot, etc. However, Dube seems to have the 'it' factor which can take a middling prospect and turn them into a NHL regular contributor. He reminds me a little bit of Giordano with the obvious exception of their positions. I could be wrong but he seems to have the right mental make-up to succeed in the NHL. Parsons may also have this attribute but goalies are weird.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #96
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Andersson because he’s in most NHL line-ups by now; kid is gonna be a stud for a long time.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #97
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post

So I picked the 2nd most successful prospect 1st rather than 2nd?

Hathaway 59 games 11:32 min/game +3 Tied for 4th best on the team. Led the team with 2.6 hits / game.

His .22 ppg is not that far off from Jankowski's .29 ppg that Jankowski had before his 4 goals in the last exhibition game of the season.

In 20/20 hindsight Hathaway was the Flames 2nd best prospect on the list
by a large margin last year.

even in Stockton he was a prospect monster 11 goals in 18 games.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #98
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Yeah that's not holding water ...
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #99
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
So I picked the 2nd most successful prospect 1st rather than 2nd?

Hathaway 59 games 11:32 min/game +3 Tied for 4th best on the team. Led the team with 2.6 hits / game.

His .22 ppg is not that far off from Jankowski's .29 ppg that Jankowski had before his 4 goals in the last exhibition game of the season.

In 20/20 hindsight Hathaway was the Flames 2nd best prospect on the list
by a large margin last year.

even in Stockton he was a prospect monster 11 goals in 18 games.
That's not how hindisght works - in 20-20 hindsight Jankowski, a first round draft pick who made the team and played third line centre all year and scored way better than Hathaway, or Kulak, who made the team and played all year, or Rittich, who played backup goal successfully (not as successful as a starter), were all better picks.

You literally used +/-, (a notoriously useless stat) and hits (a notoriously inconsistent stat) as the basis for your "hindsight" justification. Matt Stajan had a higher +/- than Hathaway (against possibly better competition given road line matchups and his position).

BTW, that ppg that Hathaway had was worse than Troy Brouwer's.

Last edited by GioforPM; 07-11-2018 at 10:49 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #100
brew
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Count me in on the Dube bandwagon
brew is offline   Reply With Quote