Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #861
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Big announcement from the league coming at 9 am tomorrow.
I may be shooting too high, but I really hope TSN just decided to pick it up as they seem to be willing to pick up Canadian sports and make them accessible to Canadians, where Sportsnet purely goes for ratings.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:19 AM   #862
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I may be shooting too high, but I really hope TSN just decided to pick it up as they seem to be willing to pick up Canadian sports and make them accessible to Canadians, where Sportsnet purely goes for ratings.

TSN would be my guess, as they have a few holes to fill in this post-NHL, post-Champions League, and soon to be post-Premier League era.

Suppose TSN is involved somehow and they show x games per week on their main channels, I hope that the remainder of the matches are streamed on TSN Go or another platform. Enabling fans to follow their teams while away from home will be key.

Semi-related: I wonder if there will be a local radio broadcaster for Cavalry? Or maybe an club-produced audio stream?

I would always choose TV over radio, but I must admit that I do enjoy the odd radio game for the Flames if I’m driving somewhere.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #863
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like it's not a broadcast deal after all, but rather the start of the schedule, and a major corporate sponsor. Doesn't mean there isn't a broadcast deal in the works (Clanachan talked about that in the recent interview), but it just won't be announced today.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #864
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
TSN would be my guess, as they have a few holes to fill in this post-NHL, post-Champions League, and soon to be post-Premier League era.
They haven't had NHL for years, while Champions League and EPL are mostly played early in the morning. CPL won't be having 7:30 AM starts, so the new league doesn't actually fill any current gaps. If anything, it would have to fight CFL, MLS, NASCAR, NBA and NHL regional coverage (depending on season start/end dates) for airtime.

Though if the CPL could even get just a game of the week type agreement with either TSN or Sportsnet, it would be a big boon.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #865
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
They haven't had NHL for years, while Champions League and EPL are mostly played early in the morning. CPL won't be having 7:30 AM starts, so the new league doesn't actually fill any current gaps. If anything, it would have to fight CFL, MLS, NASCAR, NBA and NHL regional coverage (depending on season start/end dates) for airtime.

Though if the CPL could even get just a game of the week type agreement with either TSN or Sportsnet, it would be a big boon.
Unfortunately you're right. You would just think that with 10 (?) channels among them that TSN/Sportsnet could squeeze in CPL somewhere. I realise it's a bit unlikely, but surely they could take one channel where they're just showing reruns of the misplays of the month, or instead of showing the Eskimos vs. Blue Bombers on 4 channels that could show a soccer game. Or maybe instead of a 3 hour blank screen saying that this regional game isn't available in your area they could actually show something.

Anyway....you're sadly correct I think.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #866
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well not literal gaps in the schedule, but gaps in terms of rights that they've lost over the years. With 5 channels, a streaming platform, etc. they've got enough capacity to take on something like this and could probably still put a lumberjack contest on TSN5 is anyone actually watches those.

They lost NHL years ago, but it is still relevant because Sportsnet is all-in on hockey, and I personally can't see them taking on CanPL.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #867
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, Volkswagen as a major sponsor. Not the tasty broadcast stuff I was hoping for, but still a good step.

And an opening date of April 27th in Hamilton with Forge vs. York9.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #868
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

CPL sure are talking up the Forge / York 9 rivalry as the best in the league. That's cute...

Old 01-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #869
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
CPL sure are talking up the Forge / York 9 rivalry as the best in the league. That's cute...
Sherm, if you can organize street fights with the Edmonton ultras then we will have the best rivalry in the league...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #870
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not to mention that Toronto FC plays the same day at 1pm (the CanPL match in Hamilton starts at 3).

I'm not saying that the CanPL has to tiptoe around the MLS, but that seems a bit of an odd choice. There may not be a massive overlap of the hardcore supporters of each, but there is certainly an overlap among the larger Canadian soccer observer.

Or... and I'm just speculating here, it is a stroke of genius that will become clear when the broadcast deal is announced: TSN double-header with the hopes that the TFC TV audience will stick around for the CanPL debut. After all, the turnstiles are important, but a big TV debut right after a TFC match would be good for TV numbers.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #871
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Sherm, if you can organize street fights with the Edmonton ultras then we will have the best rivalry in the league...
Anyone stupid enough to refer to themselves as "ultras" likely needs no help starting fights.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #872
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone stupid enough to refer to themselves as "ultras" likely needs no help starting fights.
Quote:
Of course, street fights at Spruce Meadows would take place on brick pathways and spill over into the International Ring. Think of the opportunities with water hazards, poles from jumps, manure, and an assortment of tack from the stables repurposed as weapons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #873
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a given that VW is sponsoring York9 or Forge. Good solid league sponsor though.

Any rumor on Cavalry? Or can we expect ATCO on our kits come April.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #874
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Seems like a given that VW is sponsoring York9 or Forge. Good solid league sponsor though.

Any rumor on Cavalry? Or can we expect ATCO on our kits come April.
Yeah, I'd assume that VW has one of the Ontario teams. With no inside knowledge I'm guessing Westjet for Cavalry FC. As a Calgary based company that operates across Canada it would be a good fit.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #875
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At Spruce Meadows? Please! My butler will organize the fights...

"You're American"
"THEN WHY DO I LOVE SOCCER?"

Old 01-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #876
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Yeah, I'd assume that VW has one of the Ontario teams. With no inside knowledge I'm guessing Westjet for Cavalry FC. As a Calgary based company that operates across Canada it would be a good fit.
Westjet would be a great fit for the team. Them, Shaw, Telus or someone like that make sense.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #877
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Of course, street fights at Spruce Meadows would take place on brick pathways and spill over into the International Ring. Think of the opportunities with water hazards, poles from jumps, manure, and an assortment of tack from the stables repurposed as weapons.
Street fights? Why not jousts!
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #878
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Westjet would be a great fit for the team. Them, Shaw, Telus or someone like that make sense.
It would be great if WestJet or even Air Canada could become involved as a league-wide sponsor (maybe even in addition to being Cavalry's kit sponsor).

Assuming a balanced schedule, no conferences, and knowing the size of this country, a partnership with an airline has to be a strategic priority. I'm sure that the brains in charge have thought of this and are working on it, but I think that the league's viability would be really helped if travel costs are kept as low as possible.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #879
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Telus is the frontrunner for a Cavalry jersey sponsor. They are the current jersey sponsor for Calgary Foothills, and at one point their VP of Business Solutions was going to be the president of the club.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #880
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another signing will be announced tomorrow. Note Wembley in the background.

https://twitter.com/CPLCavalryFC/sta...08701007818752