Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #241
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Well, the three I mentioned went on to coach again in the NHL....two of them winning cups. One winning multiple Cups.
yeah and please tell me how Treliving's hires have done since leaving the Flames?

My issue is Treliving hasn't exactly nailed a coaching hire yet.

The Flames' best year under Treliving was under a coach he didn't hire, with players brought in by previous regimes.

Since then it's been either miss the playoffs, or get absolutely demolished in the first round. At least the early 90's Flames usually made it to game 7 before losing in the first round. Even Iginla's Flames managed that more often than not.

These Flames get their heads caved in every playoff series they are in. Even this year its not like it was an even series with DAL getting the breaks. Without Talbot going god mode, this is easily another 4-5 game ouster for the Flames.

Yes it is a player issue, but IMO we haven't had a single top coach in this city since D Sutter, and with a few on the market, it's disappointing to see that Treliving is going down the same path of hiring anyone EXCEPT a top coach.

Will a Boudreau fix everything wrong with the Flames?? Nope, but it's a start.

If you're Taylor Hall who says you want to go somewhere you can win, does Ward inspire confidence in you? Doubtful.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #242
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Specific to Hall weren’t they both in NJ at the same time?
If so any impression would largely be informed by that experience and could be an advatange in signing him if they had a good relationship
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #243
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The message sending talk about this hire us pretty funny.

It's not every day the GMs hand picked coached has to get fired for being a physically abusive racist forcing the associate coach to take over.

I wonder if a message was being sent there as well?

If the flames are cutting salaries across the board 20% and still paying out bill Peter's to get covid in Russia, it seems to me that there is a much more obvious reason for why the flames would come back with a coach who is already under contract and that reason isn't to passive aggressively tell a couple of players to work harder.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #244
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
If so any impression would largely be informed by that experience and could be an advatange in signing him if they had a good relationship
Yeah, Ward was an Assistant Coach during Hall's Hart Trophy season - I totally forgot about that.

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-13-2020 at 02:41 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #245
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I didn't even think of that and if you listen to Looch, Ward is a major reason he waived to come to Calgary. Maybe Ward had a similar impact on Hall?
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #246
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I didn't even think of that and if you listen to Looch, Ward is a major reason he waived to come to Calgary. Maybe Ward had a similar impact on Hall?
Great, then keep him as associate coach and PP coach.

Bring in a proven winner for once. Does ANYONE believe that the Flames would be in danger of losing Ward to another team as HC?

I know the Flames have a personnel issue, but part of me also really wonders where they would be had Treliving brought in a REAL coach after Hartley, instead of that moron GG.

How often are top-tier coaches available? This is now the SECOND TIME in Treliving's tenure he has had a shot at a top coach, and he's refusing to go to it again, even though he has been an abject failure in hiring coaches to this point.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people like me to be pissed about the fact that Treliving is as much a moron with coaches as D Sutter was with his trades post-2006.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #247
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post

Bring in a proven winner for once. Does ANYONE believe that the Flames would be in danger of losing Ward to another team as HC?

I know the Flames have a personnel issue, but part of me also really wonders where they would be had Treliving brought in a REAL coach after Hartley, instead of that moron GG.

How often are top-tier coaches available? This is now the SECOND TIME in Treliving's tenure he has had a shot at a top coach, and he's refusing to go to it again, even though he has been an abject failure in hiring coaches to this point.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people like me to be pissed about the fact that Treliving is as much a moron with coaches as D Sutter was with his trades post-2006.
It's a ####ing rumor, you really need to calm down and stop pretending like you know the inner workings. You have no idea why decisions are made or the reasoning behind them. You don't know what offers have been made to other coaches. You don't know what the coaching budget is.

It is absolutely not reasonable to be this pissed off over a coaching decision where you have zero clue what is actually going on behind the scenes.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #248
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
How often are top-tier coaches available? This is now the SECOND TIME in Treliving's tenure he has had a shot at a top coach...
So, pretty often, then?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #249
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
It is absolutely not reasonable to be this pissed off over a coaching decision where you have zero clue what is actually going on behind the scenes.
I rhink you mean "pissed off over no actual coaching decision." Not only are we clueless about what is happening behind the scenes, no one outside the organisation has any idea about what is transpiring on the face of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-13-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #250
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I rhink you mean "pissed off over no actual coaching decision." Not only are we clueless about what is happening behind the scenes, no one outside the organisation has any idea about what is transpiring on the face of it.

In fairness to me, my first four words of the post were "It's a ####ing rumor."
Old 09-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #251
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
In fairness to me, my first four words of the post were "It's a ####ing rumor."
iT’S NOTTA TUMA!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #252
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Who is a proven winner? The guys who were fired? Babcock has win but no one wants him here.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #253
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Who is a proven winner? The guys who were fired? Babcock has win but no one wants him here.
I've seen several people clamor for Bruce Boudreau who has a pretty atrocious playoff record himself:

2007-08 WSH Lost in round 1 (Game 7)
2008-09 WSH Lost in round 2 (Game 7)
2009-10 WSH Lost in round 1 (Game 7)
2010-11 WSH Lost in round 2 (Swept)
2011-12 WSH Fired

2011-12 ANA Out of Playoffs
2012-13 ANA Lost in round 1 (Game 7)
2013-14 ANA Lost in round 2 (Game 7)
2014-15 ANA Lost in round 3 (Game 7)
2015-16 ANA Lost in round 1 (Game 7) - Fired

2016-17 MIN Lost in round 1 (Game 5)
2017-18 MIN Lost in round 1 (Game 5)
2018-19 MIN Out of Playoffs
2019-20 MIN Fired

That's a whole lot of Game 7 losses... 7 in fact!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #254
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

not surprising...i'd be curious whether BT even talked to other coaches.

BT, jmho, is getting close to the end of the string - if Ward does terrible, I think BT is probably out the door too.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #255
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty disappointing if this is ends up true. Another first round loss and another dollar store coach where much better options are available. If we trade Gaudreau and Monahan each for a first and 2 crappy prospects we'll be right back in 2013.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #256
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I've seen several people clamor for Bruce Boudreau who has a pretty atrocious playoff record himself:

2007-08 WSH Lost in round 1 (Game 7)
2008-09 WSH Lost in round 2 (Game 7)
2009-10 WSH Lost in round 1 (Game 7)
2010-11 WSH Lost in round 2 (Swept)
2011-12 WSH Fired

2011-12 ANA Out of Playoffs
2012-13 ANA Lost in round 1 (Game 7)
2013-14 ANA Lost in round 2 (Game 7)
2014-15 ANA Lost in round 3 (Game 7)
2015-16 ANA Lost in round 1 (Game 7) - Fired

2016-17 MIN Lost in round 1 (Game 5)
2017-18 MIN Lost in round 1 (Game 5)
2018-19 MIN Out of Playoffs
2019-20 MIN Fired

That's a whole lot of Game 7 losses... 7 in fact!
I've never been impressed enough with Bourdeau to think he is an elite coach.

Gallant has been unceremoniously relieved of his duties twice in surprise moves, I'm not going to make any assumptions, but that is a definite red flag. He's the guy I wanted, but I am willing to concede that Treliving has the connections to possibly know what happened in Florida and Vegas.

Laviolette isn't interested in coaching in Canada, or so I have seen several people make this claim.

So are there actually better options that Ward? I'd love for those complaining to actually explain what makes other options better than Ward
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #257
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I actually think Bruce would be a great assistant. Let him be the high energy a-hole.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #258
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never been impressed enough with Bourdeau to think he is an elite coach.

Gallant has been unceremoniously relieved of his duties twice in surprise moves, I'm not going to make any assumptions, but that is a definite red flag. He's the guy I wanted, but I am willing to concede that Treliving has the connections to possibly know what happened in Florida and Vegas.

Laviolette isn't interested in coaching in Canada, or so I have seen several people make this claim.

So are there actually better options that Ward? I'd love for those complaining to actually explain what makes other options better than Ward
That is exactly what concerns me. I love the way that Gallant-coached teams play, and that is what I want for the Flames. But TWO quick and surprising firings in short order is a huge red flag. After the Vegas firing, I figured well, it could be anything - maybe he didn't agree with the GM about something. But a second such situation is hard to overlook.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #259
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Absolutely. That Florida situation was just bizarre, my thought is that it was Florida doing Florida things. But when Vegas dropped him mid-season, it really made me wonder.

The other guy I really like is Jim Montgomery, I loved how the Stars played under him. But I completely understand why he might not be an option.

I'm not in the hire Ward camp, but at least I'm willing to use rational thought (as you also appear to be) to try and understand why they might go with him.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #260
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Pretty disappointing if this is ends up true. Another first round loss and another dollar store coach where much better options are available. If we trade Gaudreau and Monahan each for a first and 2 crappy prospects we'll be right back in 2013.
Do people actually think Peters was a cheap option for a coach? He opted out of something like a 3m contract with Carolina, it's safe to assume he got a similar number here and a 3m coach is not exactly a bargain price.