Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2023, 01:17 AM   #101
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Would anyone be interested in a DIY kit like gemstones? It would be open sourced using WLED or can go a step further with Xlights/FPP (christmas light to music software).

Lights would have 2" spacing instead of the 4" that gemstone offers. I am guessing costs would come in around $1000.00 for the kit (hopefully lower based on 120' of trim and lights). Track colour will be white but I am guessing you could paint to match your soffit colours as needed. I can provide support but this would definitly be a DIY Hobbyist adventure.
I'd be tentatively interested, depending on which part is DIY.

If the DIY part is screwing cable trays to the trim of my house I'm good.

If the DIY part is programming a raspberry PI based controller or something like that it probably isn't a fit for me.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 03:49 PM   #102
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been looking at those permanent lights since we moved in December. I was looking at getting the Govee Permanament Outdoor Lights (https://www.amazon.ca/Govee-Permanen.../dp/B0BCQ3C4T2), but found that they don't seem to have good gap coverage and I'd still need an aluminum track to cover them (I have black soffits, and these are all white). The price was quite appealing at around $350 for 150ft when on sale.

Than I started (thanks to Reddit) looking at the AliBaba specials which have the tracks, and i'm concerned about the quality and hardware/software aspect of it.

For those who got the Gemstone ones installed, how much was your quotes?

Fundmark, maybe we should have a convo about which light setup you are using and we can go from there?

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 04:38 PM   #103
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too early, my friend!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:14 PM   #104
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I've been looking at those permanent lights since we moved in December. I was looking at getting the Govee Permanament Outdoor Lights (https://www.amazon.ca/Govee-Permanen.../dp/B0BCQ3C4T2), but found that they don't seem to have good gap coverage and I'd still need an aluminum track to cover them (I have black soffits, and these are all white). The price was quite appealing at around $350 for 150ft when on sale.

Than I started (thanks to Reddit) looking at the AliBaba specials which have the tracks, and i'm concerned about the quality and hardware/software aspect of it.

For those who got the Gemstone ones installed, how much was your quotes?

Fundmark, maybe we should have a convo about which light setup you are using and we can go from there?
Paid about $2,900 in early 2022 for gemstone. Highly recommend and not sure if it’s something you want to go cheap on. Quality and hardware would be concerning to me from a place like AliBaba. I assume that prices have gone up though given how expensive everything else is.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:43 PM   #105
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
Paid about $2,900 in early 2022 for gemstone. Highly recommend and not sure if it’s something you want to go cheap on. Quality and hardware would be concerning to me from a place like AliBaba. I assume that prices have gone up though given how expensive everything else is.

Quality and longevity is a concern for sure. How many feet was your house if I may ask?

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 03:44 PM   #106
Ugly Kid Joe
Draft Pick

Any recommendations for someone who installs Christmas lights? I only have two 33' long strands to install, but the eaves are higher than my ladder can reach.
Ugly Kid Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:21 PM   #107
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Assiniboine or Grey Rock do a great job for light installs (same company, they just changed their name)
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 08:37 AM   #108
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got a quote from gemstone in Airdrie, $23/ft + $230 for the control box. Not too bad but decided to try the Govee lights first since my house is a basic design with no weird breaks to deal with. The main floor will be easy going to try and do that tonight, the second level of course is where Gemstone and other companies make more sense.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:16 AM   #109
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Got a quote from gemstone in Airdrie, $23/ft + $230 for the control box. Not too bad but decided to try the Govee lights first since my house is a basic design with no weird breaks to deal with. The main floor will be easy going to try and do that tonight, the second level of course is where Gemstone and other companies make more sense.
What kind of warranty is offered and did they let you know how long these lights tend to last?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 11:02 AM   #110
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
What kind of warranty is offered and did they let you know how long these lights tend to last?
My sister got the quote but it says 5 year product and 1 year labour.

The Gemstone Lights Track Lighting system uses the most cutting-edge LED technology available, allowing for a life expectancy of 50,000 hours. With average usage being 6 hours a day, the system is rated to last around 23 years.

I think the biggest appeal to gemstone is the hidden wiring in the track but also the leds can be replaced individually.

I bought some Govee on sale on Amazon yesterday and installed the main floor. Overall the install is really easy just clean surface, stick to surface using something to keep wall spacing exact and then add some clips. The wiring shows but its flat ribbon cable, I had a little issue with the wire wanting to twist but a little hot glue in a few places held it flat. I'm not looking forward to the second floor and that is also a big factor in choosing Gemstone but if you rented a genie lift with someone else in the area doing lights it would be super quick and easy.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 04:10 PM   #111
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kid Joe View Post
Any recommendations for someone who installs Christmas lights? I only have two 33' long strands to install, but the eaves are higher than my ladder can reach.
How high are your eaves? I have a 25' articulating ladder that you're welcome to borrow.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 04:05 PM   #112
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
How high are your eaves? I have a 25' articulating ladder that you're welcome to borrow.
If that's not high enough and you're comfortable with the heights Home Depot rents 32' ladders. Cheaper than hiring somebody but I know for myself that's way beyond my comfort zone.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
JBR