Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #1001
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I agree. Vancouver burning their city down over a hockey game (twice ) is a riot. Protesting a very real human issue is not a riot.
If protesting activities includes such activities such as destroying property, looting, harming shop owners defending their stores / livelihoods, etc. then it's rioting.

The problems with these events are that I think there's three groups of people involved in most riots:

1. People who are generally peaceful who are there for the original purpose of the gathering and have no intention of doing anything violent and do not directly engage in it at all.

2. There's a segment in every population that will riot whenever the thin line between civilization and anarchy gets thin enough. I'm willing to bet the people in Montreal smashing windows and stealing guitars out of that one shop last night would be doing the exact same thing or similar if there was a riot after the Canadiens won a playoff round. Rioters of opportunity if you will.

3.There's people who fall in both categories. The meeting of the Venn diagram if you will. A supporter of the cause will always try to pretend this group is minimal and all the miscreants fall in group 2, and someone looking to dismiss or oppose a cause will try to paint everyone in attendance at the the overall event as part of this group.

Given crowd sizes and how hard these things are to analyze it's very difficult to determine how much of group 2 there is and how much of group 3. What is knowable is that in order for their to be riots there's strong elements of both groups present. Members of group 3 to rationalize the violence and members of group 2 to perpetuate it and keep it going.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #1002
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

At this point I think we can safely say that there has been a secondary group of 'people', notably Antifa, that has used this opportunity to hijack the protests and riot, loot and wreck everything they can find.

On Twitter you can find tweet after tweet with videos showing even the protesters starting stop these idiots and hand them over to the police. The media as usual is slow to respond, and slow to catch on to what is happening. Some outlets refuse to even report what is happening. All we see is police brutality and black people rioting. Both are true, but both are not the whole truth, and as usual the media can't seem to get it right.

The perfect storm right now.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #1003
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
If protesting activities includes such activities such as destroying property, looting, harming shop owners defending their stores / livelihoods, etc. then it's rioting.

The problems with these events are that I think there's three groups of people involved in most riots:

1. People who are generally peaceful who are there for the original purpose of the gathering and have no intention of doing anything violent and do not directly engage in it at all.

2. There's a segment in every population that will riot whenever the thin line between civilization and anarchy gets thin enough. I'm willing to bet the people in Montreal smashing windows and stealing guitars out of that one shop last night would be doing the exact same thing or similar if there was a riot after the Canadiens won a playoff round. Rioters of opportunity if you will.

3.There's people who fall in both categories. The meeting of the Venn diagram if you will. A supporter of the cause will always try to pretend this group is minimal and all the miscreants fall in group 2, and someone looking to dismiss or oppose a cause will try to paint everyone in attendance at the the overall event as part of this group.

Given crowd sizes and how hard these things are to analyze it's very difficult to determine how much of group 2 there is and how much of group 3. What is knowable is that in order for their to be riots there's strong elements of both groups present. Members of group 3 to rationalize the violence and members of group 2 to perpetuate it and keep it going.
Which group are the anarchists whose main purpose is to take down society?

There is ample evidence that they have hijacked many of these protests and are using them to destroy everything they see.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #1004
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
At this point I think we can safely say that there has been a secondary group of 'people', notably Antifa, that has used this opportunity to hijack the protests and riot, loot and wreck everything they can find.

On Twitter you can find tweet after tweet with videos showing even the protesters starting stop these idiots and hand them over to the police. The media as usual is slow to respond, and slow to catch on to what is happening. Some outlets refuse to even report what is happening. All we see is police brutality and black people rioting. Both are true, but both are not the whole truth, and as usual the media can't seem to get it right.

OMG, how can people be so dumb? Was it Antifa in the 1992 LA riots? In Vancouver? Rioting is typically just opportunistic people getting carried away when the mood turns in a large gathering/protest.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #1005
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

TBH, I kind of get rioting. It looks fun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #1006
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I have been in some big demo's back in the 70's and early 80's anti Thatcher mostly and there is a moment when you realise the cops aren't in control, that the group is, it is tremendously exciting, you get a huge rush of power out of it, especially if you are in your teens, an age where you don't really feel like you have control or power over much.

Crowd psychology tends to take over at that point and things get out of hand very quickly
Old 06-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #1007
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

List of incidents of police brutality since the protests started. Spoiler tag put on because the list was so GD long.

Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #1008
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
OMG, how can people be so dumb? Was it Antifa in the 1992 LA riots? In Vancouver? Rioting is typically just opportunistic people getting carried away when the mood turns in a large gathering/protest.
Dude everything is antifa. Cops fire teargas into a peaceful protest? Antifa. Random guy throws a rock? The scourge of antifa is here. Grocery store out of TP? Damn antifa strikes again and their reach knows no bounds.

Anarchists and antifa. They’re a cabal that’s controlling everything, they’re directing the riots (but you won’t hear the liberal media call it riots) with their far reaching network of organized anarchism. Open your third bro and see the truth.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #1009
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it looks like you will have to leave Calgary to have your fun.
If we didn't riot after Game 6 of the 2004 cup finals when Kerry Fraser handed the Lightning the win, we will never riot.

Tits and riots would have been hella fun 16 years ago!
Old 06-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #1010
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You were half right with this, it's a handful of idiots, it isn't organised or the work of 'agitators' its just the usual group of 19 year old kids looking to stir up ####, it's exactly the same group that burnt cop cars in Vancouver in 2011, there are always a few idiots and in a large crowd they can have a far greater effect as they draw in people who weren't there for trouble but get caught up in the event.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #1011
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

cops come at a guy for filming a police car burning:
https://twitter.com/johncusack/statu...53514242228229
lol at "a guy". It's John Cusack.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #1012
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267491152950964225

This should go well. The Prison Riot teams well known for uh, says here, brutality against prisoners. Huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #1013
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

On Twitter you can find tweet after tweet with videos showing even the protesters starting stop these idiots and hand them over to the police.
Is there any actual proof suggesting that these people are somehow Antifa, other than people just saying they must be because it fits with their idea of Antifa?

Because I'm really not seeing it, and yeah I am kind of an expert. Sure, the antifa in the US isn't the same as it tends to be in Europe, but generally these days it's pretty easy spot the antifa if they're actually present as a group, because they tend to be way more organized than any other group present. In some cases better organized than the police.

Since the antifa-movement is heavily influenced by the long history of organized civil resistance and tends to be influenced by anarchist ideals of self-organization, they're not typically a force of chaos in situations like this, nor do they typically move alone. Unless that is their chosen tactic of course.

I'm not saying it's out of the question that in some places in the US the local antifa has decided that maximum chaos is somehow in their interest. Some of them are kind of nuts.

I am however saying that at least in Europe it would be pretty unlikely that a bunch of random civilians could catch an antifa-member that was out there deliberately causing chaos, because they'd have an exit strategy for that scenario and backup. At least that goes for the type of anarchist-antifa -types who would be the sort of troublemakers you're thinking of, at least in Europe.

It is also ridiculous to suggest that every riot in the US right now has an antifa presence. It's just not realistic at all. It's even less realistic to suggest that every rioting city in the US has that specific type of anarchist-antifa-presence. Even if they would be present in every city, they would act differently in different places, because they are self-organizing groups who choose their own goals and tactics.

Antifa is just not an organization like that. Some groups are like A and some are B and some are C. The unifying factor is not that they're anarchists, or violent, but that they're anti-fascists.

Also it's worth noting that while the sort of boogeyman violent anarchists the conservatives likes to talk about do exist, they're extremely rare even among anarchists, and anarchists are really rare.

Also, not all anarchists are antifa.

Quote:
The media as usual is slow to respond, and slow to catch on to what is happening. Some outlets refuse to even report what is happening. All we see is police brutality and black people rioting. Both are true, but both are not the whole truth, and as usual the media can't seem to get it right.
The media unfortunately loves a simple narrative with two opposing sides with differing goals.

It's why they're usually absolutely terrible at covering a protest of any significant size, because any protest like that is just bound to have all sorts of people with really different ideas.

Last edited by Itse; 06-01-2020 at 10:53 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #1014
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
lol at "a guy". It's John Cusack.
I mean, these days he is just kind of "a guy."
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #1015
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
Pepsi. I'm asking for honesty. That's it. If you say one thing and turn around and say I meant something else, that's not being truthful. People need to be called out when they are "mincing words" then claiming otherwise.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
They really don't. What are you hoping to gain, exactly? I think we can call someone out on something they said, and if they're happy to walk it back or clarify their meaning, we believe them and move on. If you need an apology or to hold someone accountable for something they're no longer willing to defend or that they say they didn't mean, that's really your problem and your problem alone.

I only know how toxic and petty the path you're on is because I've been taken the same one plenty prior, and it's just a really sad way to participate in spaces like this.

That's not to say we can't all be catty bitches, because that's just fun sometimes. And apologies for this very off-topic post in a thread where the actual topic is important.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #1016
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm just ignoring them at this point in time, I said my piece. They are welcome to believe whatever stupid #### they want to.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #1017
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to take this opportunity to re-issue my modest proposal, stated previously in another thread, that every time someone says they're "calling someone out", they must be prepared to duel that person in the street with pistols. Preferably at noon.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #1018
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I mean, these days he is just kind of "a guy."
John is very active on Twitter and around Chicago. He is also scheduled to play the coveted role of "troutman" in the movie adaptation of my life.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #1019
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
John is very active on Twitter and around Chicago. He is also scheduled to play the coveted role of "troutman" in the movie adaptation of my life.
Will it be a musical? It better be a musical
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #1020
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Re: tHe AnTiFa BoOgEyMaNnn

I thought these tweets were on the nose:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267498265093853186

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267131744609763332

Last edited by PepsiFree; 06-01-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Closed Thread