Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #11241
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Just mentioning the possibilities.

The Canucks have cap space and a young nucleus. As I said, they probably have as much of a chance as the Flames do.

Regardless, the Canucks are well poised to improve this offseason, it would be foolish to think otherwise.
You can try to put whatever spin you want on it with semantics but with their defense and goaltending, the Canucks are years away from being an active threat, so I think you're very much off base with speculating what's possible / plausible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #11242
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just mentioning the possibilities.

The Canucks have cap space and a young nucleus. As I said, they probably have as much of a chance as the Flames do.

Regardless, the Canucks are well poised to improve this offseason, it would be foolish to think otherwise.
So JT is going to waste his prime years of his career waiting for a defense to be created? Hahaha oh boy
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #11243
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Really? It wouldn't surprise me at all. Great place to live if you're rich. A pretty good group of young players on the upswing. They'll be able to pay him what he wants. The only downside is the travel.
Thats all potential though, the Canucks could go either way next year, with or without JT. I am not gong to get into the great place to live thing, everywhere is great place to live if you have money.

Name me one player that signed with Vancouver because they liked the view.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #11244
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol if Tavares goes coast to coast and ends up in San Jose F this I'm out. Take my ball and go home haha.

I'm so sick of those California teams, they never truly piss off. It's bad enough having them around to step on our necks constantly then they go and add Vegas to the mix as well.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #11245
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Thats all potential though, the Canucks could go either way next year, with or without JT. I am not gong to get into the great place to live thing, everywhere is great place to live if you have money.

Name me one player that signed with Vancouver because they liked the view.
Calgarian inferiority complex in full view.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #11246
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You just proved my point. The sedins free up about 12 million in cap space. Add that to whatever else they have coming off the books. Can the Canucks replace Daniel and he rock with Tavares and Kane? Rebuild over.
Yes, because you can plug in names and values like a fantasy game. They definitely have the cap space, but little else, all potential and theoretical. Kane going back to Vancouver? Maybe thats the only place where he did not burn any bridges.

Team wise the Islanders are in better shape then the Canucks and have better prospects. Barzal may win the Calder and they will get another two good ones this year.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #11247
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
lol if Tavares goes coast to coast and ends up in San Jose F this I'm out. Take my ball and go home haha.

I'm so sick of those California teams, they never truly piss off. It's bad enough having them around to step on our necks constantly then they go and add Vegas to the mix as well.
Flames may not be in the Pacific after Seattle's arrival
So there's that.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #11248
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Remember, Ryan O'Reilly has signed here before. I don't think he'd be averse to coming here

Old 05-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #11249
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Calgarian inferiority complex in full view.
LOl, you can do better then that....
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #11250
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
LOl, you can do better then that....
Some places are better to live than others if you are a millionaire.

Vancouver is a better place to live than Calgary if you're a millionaire. Calgary may be in the running if your top priority is anonymity.

It's one of the reasons I keep harping on the necessity for the Flames to continue to draft well.

The Jets understand this; the flames, not so much.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #11251
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^I am not going to debate the better city thing. That has its place in an urban off-topic forum. That always seems like a hot button for you.

The point is, I don't see it as an issue or a decider. Of course you need to draft well, all teams need to draft well. I just can't see him signing with Vancouver and going through the same thing he did on the Island.

Calgary is not perfect either, but Pat S does explain some of the advantages we have over some if the other teams. As far as the other Canadian teams are concerned, Montreal or Toronto would be more serious contenders for Calgary.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-01-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #11252
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Some places are better to live than others if you are a millionaire.

Vancouver is a better place to live than Calgary if you're a millionaire. Calgary may be in the running if your top priority is anonymity.

It's one of the reasons I keep harping on the necessity for the Flames to continue to draft well.

You do realize how ironic it is for you to be talking about a "Calgary inferiority complex" when all you do on this site is take constant digs at the team and it's fans right?

Doesn't that ever get tiresome for you?

We're talking about a high profile UFA looking at signing on one of the worst teams in the league in Vancouver, who with their utter lack of defense in their system, are years away from being mildly competitive.

You don't need to take the thread off topic slamming Calgary by way of raving about Vancouver's landscape and lifestyle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #11253
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Flames may not be in the Pacific after Seattle's arrival
So there's that.
That would make no sense. Move the Flames but not the Oilers? The odd team out is Phoenix. Especially if they get moved. Then the Avs are back into the Pacific and the Coyotes can go east.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #11254
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I am not going to debate the better city thing. That has its place in an urban off-topic forum.

The point is, I don't see it as an issue or a decider. Of course you need to draft well, all teams need to draft well. I just can't see him signing with Vancouver and going through the same thing he did on the Island.

Calgary is not perfect either, but Pat S does explain some of the advantages we have over some if the other teams. As far as the other Canadian teams are concerned, Montreal or Toronto would be more serious contenders for Calgary.
But it's not the same thing as on the Island.

Vancouver has an elite goal scoring winger. They have a very good, defensively responsible centre who can help shoulder the load, especially defensively.

If it comes down to Calgary or Vancouver the smart money would be on Vancouver.

I don't think it's likely either, but your comment about no player has picked Vancouver because of the view is dumb.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #11255
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im sure Tre has looked at what he'd have to pay Tavares and just said nope, not for us.

JT will be too expensive for the flames. If Johnny is only making 6.75MM and JT will demand ~11 or 12MM I just don't think Tre will even explore the idea of having one guy making twice what anyone else is making.

as we saw with the Peters hire, the "no stone left unturned" theory has been fully debunked as Tre didn't do it. Although you could say him looking at JT and saying no as "exploring every opportunity"

I will be just as excited as anyone else if we somehow get Tavares but I'd say theres a better chance of Garnett Hathaway winning the Hart trophy next year than of JT in a Flames jersey next season.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #11256
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You just proved my point. The sedins free up about 12 million in cap space. Add that to whatever else they have coming off the books. Can the Canucks replace Daniel and hank with Tavares and Kane? Rebuild over.
The Sedins are the only big money contracts ending for the Canucks this year and they didn't have much cap space to spare this season (they ended the season over the cap into LTIR space).

Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, Stecher, and Pouliot are all RFAs who'll be looking for raises.

With the way everything has gone for Kane in San Jose, I'll be very surprised if he doesn't re-sign there, but if he were to go to Vancouver, he'll almost-certainly take up the cap space left by one of the Sedins, and possibly a little more.

Even if the cap goes up by $5 million, the raises for their five RFAs are going to eat up most of that increase. If Kane signs for $7 million, that eats up the cap space gained by Daniel's retirement. That would leave them a little over $7 million to sign Tavares, which isn't likely to get it done.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #11257
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Funny part is the teams have had a bit of a similar build path. Jets have done a better job of being patient, and getting young guys in on the bottom 6 / bottom pairing but it's pretty close.

There were 4 direct comparable points where the teams paths diverged though.

2012 Draft: Gillies vs. Hellebuck (Gillies was more heralded at a younger age, but Hellebuck developed better)
2014 Draft: Bennett vs. Ehlers (Clear win for the Jets)
2015 Draft: Hamilton vs. Connor (This one is close to a wash but edge to Jets due to ELC value)
2016 Draft: Laine vs. Tkachuk (Jets win the lottery and get an elite goal scorer)

The Ehlers/Laine vs. Bennett/Tkachuk gap is the biggest difference IMO. Those two drafts are the reason the Flames require a true top line forward still, while the Jets do not.

Outside of that the drafting since 2010 is pretty close for guys that are on the NHL roster right now.

Jets: Scheifele, Trouba, Morrissey, Copp, Roslevic

Flames: Gaudreau, Monahan, Jankowski, Kulak, Ferland

What the Flames need to do now though is have some patience and hope guys like Mangiapane, Dube, Valimaki, Andersson, Phillips, Kylington, & Fox continue to develop and can fill gaps like guys like Copp, Connor, Roselvic, & Morrissey were able to do for the Jets this year.

Much like everyone wanted the Jets to blow it up last year the Flames need to have similar patience this year and let the process and young prospects come in an make a difference.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-01-2018 at 11:17 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #11258
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it's likely either, but your comment about no player has picked Vancouver because of the view is dumb.
Why? Really the Canucks haven't done any better than the Flames when it comes to attracting UFA's over the years. They have to overpay just like any Canadian team when it comes to attracting UFA's. Vancouver is not like San Jose where players that get traded there tend to stay because of the lifestyle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #11259
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well Flash(lol, insults now!), your just seeing Vancouver as way further along then the commonly held view. Two good players is not enough to make a team competitive let alone a Stanley cup contender. The Islanders are where the Canucks will be in three years or so.

I think the Vegas team has made people think that anything can turn around on a dime. It does not work that way, Vegas had a lot of advantages, were well managed and they picked up a lot of underrated veterans(including a revitalized Fleury).

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-01-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #11260
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Vancouver has an elite goal scoring winger. They have a very good, defensively responsible centre who can help shoulder the load, especially defensively.

If it comes down to Calgary or Vancouver the smart money would be on Vancouver.

Maybe in your mind because of how much disdain you have for Calgary and the Flames... but you're out to lunch on the above evaluation, which leaves out defense (both on that team and in their system) as well as goaltending.

No way a big UFA looks at a good goal scorer and a decent centre and thinks "wow, they're just a piece away".

What a tilted, unrealistic take.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread