Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Canadian internet rated "third world" by Netflix

http://gigaom.com/2012/09/13/netflix...hts-violation/

Hard to argue
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. No it's not. It's highly developed. Priced poorly maybe, but don't tell me it's third world. That's absurd.

Netflix's business depends on cheap Internet, so they are extremely biased. I agree it's expensive, but the same as Ethiopia? Come on

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 09-18-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty embarrassing what wireless/internet/cable providers are allowed to get away with in this country. The government has to find a way to get rid of the collusion.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about Netflix Canada rated "third world" by Canadian users?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else see the adds for Netflix on this site? "Instantly watch The Toothfairy" starring the Rock. Yeah, that just about sums it up for the quality selection that Netflix Canada has to offer.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering our major providers either have or have had longer, faster internet speeds, I really don't put much stock in a statement like that.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wasn't that when there was a lot of posturing going on by a lot of parties about usage based billing? The article is over a year old.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
The article is over a year old.
It's new to Hemi-Cuda.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is though we should pay for use. Now the fees and overages might be out of line but essentially Netflix only pays for content and gets free distribution so if there is an increased cost as a result of increased bandwidth use that should be absorbed by the people using the bandwidth and not the average customer.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
How about Netflix Canada rated "third world" by Canadian users?
You people realize that Netflix faces similar crippling licensing restrictions in the Canadian market as the ones that drove Pandora out of the market. Right? Netflix isn't purposely giving us substandard content to screw Canadians as I'm sure they know well that if they had better Canadian content they could sell more memberships.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The thing is though we should pay for use. Now the fees and overages might be out of line but essentially Netflix only pays for content and gets free distribution so if there is an increased cost as a result of increased bandwidth use that should be absorbed by the people using the bandwidth and not the average customer.
How about no.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Wasn't that when there was a lot of posturing going on by a lot of parties about usage based billing? The article is over a year old.
That was actually in late 2011, because Shaw came out with their new plans in December of that year which essentially solved the issue as far as I was concerned.

Its funny, because still I look at US ISP bandwidth and I see the best plans available being:

Comcast 20 Mbps
Verizon FIOS 50 Mbps
AT&T 24 MBps
Century Link 40MBps

The FIOS is actually the best of those plans, since it has 25Mbps upload, so thats actually comparable to what Telus offers (and slightly better than Shaw - due to upload), but the rest of them are a step below what all Canadian ISPs offer.

Last edited by Rathji; 09-19-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Does anyone else see the adds for Netflix on this site? "Instantly watch The Toothfairy" starring the Rock. Yeah, that just about sums it up for the quality selection that Netflix Canada has to offer.
That's not entirely NetFlix's fault. Canadian telecommunication collusion also applies to distribution of content. It's much harder to secure copyright licensing in Canada than the US. In the US all the major networks stream their entire content. Canadian broadcasters and telecommunications companies have purposely conspired to prevent this.

Basically, lack of competition in Canada has resulted in companies just doing what they want and not re-investing back into infrastructure and content in a competitive manner.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
That was actually in late 2011, because Shaw came out with their new plans in December of that year which essentially solved the issue as far as I was concerned.

Its funny, because still I look at US ISP bandwidth and I see the best plans available being:

Comcast 20 Mbps
Verizon FIOS 50 Mbps
AT&T 24 MBps
Century Link 40MBps

The FIOS is actually the best of those plans, since it has 25Mbps upload, so thats actually comparable to what Telus offers (and slightly better than Shaw - due to upload), but the rest of them are a step below what all Canadian ISPs offer.
FiOS can actually go even faster -- 150/75. The problem with FiOS is they stopped expanding the network a while back, so if you aren't in an area they've deployed it you're SOL.

There's also Time Warner/RoadRunner who maxes out at 50/5.

Calgary's pretty lucky to have Shaw in this case, who's cheapest plan ($30) has a 125GB cap that is much more reasonable than rogers ($45) and bell ($30) at 20GB. Although Shaw's upload speeds are pretty sad.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZedMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw has west of Manitoba, so its not like it is just Calgary that has those plans.

You can also get a free 50GB a month bump to your cap by signing up for Shaw Friends.

I totally forgot about Time Warner though, but even counting them, it still means that Shaw's best plan (100/10)is unmatched except by the limited range of FIOS. Not to mention that we have had those speeds for almost 2 years, when no provider in the US even came close except for Verizon's FIOS.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shaw's 100 plan is 100/5, They also offer 250/15.

http://www.shaw.ca/internet/compare-plans/
Old 09-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has the 100MBps plan always been 5 up, or did it used to be 10?

The 250MBps plan isn't universally deployed at this time, so I didn't include it. I wonder how its deployment compared to Verizon's FIOS though, maybe it is close enough that if Zerizon is in the mix then the plan from Shaw should be as well.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Has the 100MBps plan always been 5 up, or did it used to be 10?

The 250MBps plan isn't universally deployed at this time, so I didn't include it. I wonder how its deployment compared to Verizon's FIOS though, maybe it is close enough that if Zerizon is in the mix then the plan from Shaw should be as well.
They used to advertise it at 10, then switched it to 5. I only know because I called once to complain the the upload always hit a wall on all speed tests (speedtest.net and shaw's own) around 5. When I called tech support, the analyst told me "We don't have a magic button that gives you more upload speed."

A few months later I called sales to ask if 250/15 was available in my area. I was told it was, but that I needed new hardware. I told here to ask for my service to be prepared for 250/15 and I would call back if I wanted the tech appointment for the hw upgrade. Since then, my ul has hovered between 8.5/9 on tests. I never called back for 250.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

What do you do that requires 10Mbps upload and 5 isn't sufficient?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nothing really, I just lucked into ul closer to 10 than 5. Go me!