Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #481
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I was getting lost reading a million articles on Wikipedia as usual (it's a dangerous website for that) and was looking at Dublin's airport website when I noticed this on their arrivals page. Some google searching for the flight number didn't really yield any info, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows what this might be? Does an airline really fly to the North Pole or is this some kind of fun holiday thing?

Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #482
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I was getting lost reading a million articles on Wikipedia as usual (it's a dangerous website for that) and was looking at Dublin's airport website when I noticed this on their arrivals page. Some google searching for the flight number didn't really yield any info, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows what this might be? Does an airline really fly to the North Pole or is this some kind of fun holiday thing?

Google tells me the below. Might be some holiday fun this time of year?

Quote:
Rovaniemi Airport is the third busiest airport in Finland, located in Rovaniemi, Finland, about 10 kilometres north of Rovaniemi city centre. The Arctic Circle crosses the runway closer to its northern end.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #483
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

So according to Flightaware, the last flight with that number was in the year 2000

My best guess is that they had some presents arrive on the luggage belt?

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight...I4975-20191205

Having said that, there is a flight EI4973 from RVN airport (not going to try and spell that noise) in Lapland, Finland - which could effectively be from the north pole.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei4973

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 12-05-2019 at 11:50 AM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #484
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver based Harbour Air is going to test fly the first DHC2 Beaver electric conversion tomorrow. Test taxiing happened today.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1204103651477856257
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #485
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Don't know if this is surprising...

Quote:
Today, the House Transportation Committee released the results of a November 2018 FAA investigation, following the October 2018 Lion Air crash which killed 189 people. The FAA projected that Boeing 737 MAX planes would crash 15 times, or, once every two to three years. The report includes the even more horrifying line item: “total uncorrected fatalities: 2920.9.”
https://gizmodo.com/the-faa-knew-1840375968
Old 12-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #486
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus this update from The Air Current on the new MAX procedures and issues being encountered there. American Airlines has pushed entry back into service to April now.

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...37-max-return/
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #487
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WSJ reports Boeing will temporarily halt production of the 737 MAX in January.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #488
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting to wonder if the design flaw is impossible to program out. Could you imagine if they're forced to scrap the fleet or mount smaller legacy engines? The fact they are still grounded with no end in sight leads me to believe it's worse than anyone thought.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #489
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the Boeing statement:

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2019-12...?sf226241718=1
Old 12-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #490
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Starting to wonder if the design flaw is impossible to program out. Could you imagine if they're forced to scrap the fleet or mount smaller legacy engines? The fact they are still grounded with no end in sight leads me to believe it's worse than anyone thought.
That's not the impression I am getting. It sounds like progress has been made, almost to the point that everything looks good. However it's Christmas and nothing is going to happen with the government until January at the earliest. Then it is some pretty deliberate steps for the FAA to re certify the aircraft. On top of this the FAA has said they will be giving each and every new aircraft it's certificate of airworthiness for the foreseeable future rather than Boeing being able to self certify. Which means they will be inspecting every single new MAX and that will take time to work through all the ones that have been produced and are waiting for delivery.

Boeing is literally running out of places to store them. There really isn't any point in making more of them until the timeline become clearer.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #491
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wanted to do one gif but I didn't have the time (well, know-how frankly) and frinkiac only lets you do so much,

but given what I heard about how Air Canada's deal went, I kind of imagine this is how things are going over at Airbus

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #492
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That's not the impression I am getting. It sounds like progress has been made, almost to the point that everything looks good. However it's Christmas and nothing is going to happen with the government until January at the earliest. Then it is some pretty deliberate steps for the FAA to re certify the aircraft. On top of this the FAA has said they will be giving each and every new aircraft it's certificate of airworthiness for the foreseeable future rather than Boeing being able to self certify. Which means they will be inspecting every single new MAX and that will take time to work through all the ones that have been produced and are waiting for delivery.

Boeing is literally running out of places to store them. There really isn't any point in making more of them until the timeline become clearer.
Bang on. This is simply Boeing running out of storage capacity for completed airframes that are awaiting delivery.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #493
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's too bad Boeing isn't fined into bankruptcy. Nothing will be learned from this. Not really, anyways.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #494
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
It's too bad Boeing isn't fined into bankruptcy. Nothing will be learned from this. Not really, anyways.

Just a terrible take.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #495
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, if you want to tech them a lesson you hit them in the only spot they care about, their pocket books. Ban the aircraft completely, and I guarantee there will be changes in the future.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #496
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Just a terrible take.
Right back at ya.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #497
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right back at ya.
Ya lets bankrupt the world's largest aircraft manufacturer because of a software problem that is fixable. Makes sense to me.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #498
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Ya sure...crater the industry by putting them into bankruptcy. Who cares about the lost of jobs and economic impact it would have for that area. F#ck em and blow it all up. Kind of sounds just like the zealots that complain about our o&G industry here yet that's not fair. Way to go with your myopic point of view.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #499
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Ya lets bankrupt the world's largest aircraft manufacturer because of a software problem that is fixable. Makes sense to me.
Or... for killing people with negligence because they thought it would save them money.

Last edited by White Out 403; 12-16-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #500
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t see how a fine is going to motivate them more than the billions in losses and litigation payouts.

There is a saying in aviation; “if you think safety is expensive, try an accident”.....it appears Boeing may have forgotten that, and I’m guessing they have relearned that lesson many times over in the last year.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post: